B2B - Boston

We're seriously looking at Brilliance of the Seas North Atlantic crossing from Harwich to Boston for September 2015 then staying onboard for the following Canada/New England cruise. We would like to be able to get off the ship just like any other port and explore Boston but as we've never done a B2B before I'm not sure how it works and if this will be possible, especially bearing in mind US immigration. I'll be grateful for any information/advice that you can offer.

Thanks in advance

Gill

I did the TA last fall and everyone had to go through immigration in Boston. I know there were some folks staying on and I'm sure they were able to get most of the day in Boston. The ship arrived at 6 am and I was on the pier by 8:45 am calling my husband to pick me up. The disembarkation was very smooth and all the luggage was just sitting there waiting to be picked up.

Get off the ship with self-disembarkers (or whenever you wish); do NOT pick up your luggage:); go directly to the immigration inspector. Unless things have changed from a few years ago, there is a bus within a block of the cruise terminal that goes to the metro. We caught it downtown to Boston Commons and then walked the Freedom Trail which takes in most of the historic sights. We ended up at the USS Constitution and caught the ferry back across the harbor. A very nice DIY day.

Thom

Good point Jessicalorene :), the answer is more history than art or sport. Thanks for the suggestions everybody - the hop-on-hop-off trolley sounds like a good option.

Gill

There is a wonderful self guided walking trail sponsored by the National Park Service called the Freedom Trail. The ship the Constitution is great and you see Bunker Hill as you pass that. Fanueil Hall and Durbin Park are fun. The Boston Commons, the swan boats and the "Make Way for Ducklings" statues are fun.

Raining? Boston Museum of Art, Isabella Gardner Museum, Science Museum and the Omni Theaters and the Aquarium are all wonderful.

Baseball fan? Tour Fenway. Foodie? Fantastic Italian in the North End. Want to stroll and soak up atmosphere? Harvard University and Harvard Square, walk along the Charles River, walk Newbury Street, Back Bay, Boston Commons.

Want to ride? The HoHo trolley or for more adventure on land and sea, the Duck Boats.

You will have no trouble filling your day

Edited by MommaBear55

Here is link to Boston Trolley Tours for consideration

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

We did this when we came off the Jewel TA from Harwich to Boston in 2010 and thought it was a great way to get around the main tourist attractions. However, we did stay over in Boston for a couple of nights so that we could spend time at the various stops we were interested in. At that time, the trolley ticket included a free Harbour tour which, despite our having spent the past 14 nights sailing across the Atlantic, was one of the highlights for us. Would respectfully suggest that Boston warrants more time than a short shore trip between cruises and, as such, I would recommend you consider staying in Boston for a night or two at least when you disembark the Canada/New England cruise.

Here is link to Boston Trolley Tours for consideration

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

We did this when we came off the Jewel TA from Harwich to Boston in 2010 and thought it was a great way to get around the main tourist attractions. However, we did stay over in Boston for a couple of nights so that we could spend time at the various stops we were interested in. At that time, the trolley ticket included a free Harbour tour which, despite our having spent the past 14 nights sailing across the Atlantic, was one of the highlights for us. Would respectfully suggest that Boston warrants more time than a short shore trip between cruises and, as such, I would recommend you consider staying in Boston for a night or two at least when you disembark the Canada/New England cruise.

We're hoping to be able to stay there after the cruise but, as I don't fly, it will depend on the Cunard schedules when they come out at the end of March. Ideally there would be a TA back to Southampton about a week after the second cruise arrives back in Boston but if it's a choice between "the next day" or waiting two weeks then sadly it would have to be "the next day" option.......if you see what I mean. I've always wanted to visit the New England area so the second cruise is perfect - we'll just keep our fingers crossed for the Cunard part. I have looked at the schedules for this year and if they keep the same dates for next year it would be perfect.

Thanks

Gill

Edited by Gilpet

Check out the "things to do" section of the Boston page of the website I put together for the Boston-to-Tampa re-positioning cruise in October: http://brilliance.ahecht.com/ports/boston. There are lots of ideas for activities, as well as info on public transportation. From the terminal there are both hop-on hop-off tours available and the Silver Line bus which will take you to South Station in Downtown.

I usually recommend that first-time visitors take a tour with Boston Duck Tours (not to be confused with Super Duck Tours, which is a different company). It's a tour through boston and on the Charles river on an amphibious vehicle, and the tour guides are always very entertaining (they each have a wacky character that they play).

Check out the "things to do" section of the Boston page of the website I put together for the Boston-to-Tampa re-positioning cruise in October: http://brilliance.ahecht.com/ports/boston. There are lots of ideas for activities, as well as info on public transportation. From the terminal there are both hop-on hop-off tours available and the Silver Line bus which will take you to South Station in Downtown.

I usually recommend that first-time visitors take a tour with Boston Duck Tours (not to be confused with Super Duck Tours, which is a different company). It's a tour through boston and on the Charles river on an amphibious vehicle, and the tour guides are always very entertaining (they each have a wacky character that they play).

Thanks a lot..........I'll add that to my list

Gill

• 1 month later...

Well the Cunard itineraries for 2015 are now out and this trip is looking seriously in doubt because the first sailing back from New York to Southampton is two weeks after the second cruise finishes in Boston :eek:. We would be very happy to spend those two weeks travelling around by bus/train if it weren't for the luggage - there will be a lot of it. Does anybody know if there are any baggage handling companies who would pick our luggage up from Boston and deliver it to New York two weeks later - I don't know if this is even possible but we're clutching at straws here.

Gill

We did something similar a few years ago traveling south. We FedEx'd our bags to the beginning location. An expense but it was easy & went smoothly.

There is a FedEx not far from docking area

I was born & bred in Boston. Where I work I can actually watch the ships come in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We did something similar a few years ago traveling south. We FedEx'd our bags to the beginning location. An expense but it was easy & went smoothly.

There is a FedEx not far from docking area

I was born & bred in Boston. Where I work I can actually watch the ships come in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks, I'll look into that and see what my friend Google can find for me :). I am very envious of your view from work.

Gill

Boston is a very easy B2B port - did one from there about 6 months ago.

There will be a B2B meeting shortly before the end of the first cruise and they will guide you through the process of new sea pass card & how to easily get off & back on. You should have at least 1/2 day to tour.

If you are not changing cabins it is even easier.

DUCK TOUR DUCK TOUR DUCK TOUR, very funny and informative You will see a lot of Boston. If it is raining, Kennedy Presidential Library you can take the T (subway) there. Also go to the North End for Italian food, T stop on green line at North Station. Boston is a GREAT walking town, Boston Commons, Public Garden, Public Library

Enjoy Boston!!!

Get off the ship with self-disembarkers (or whenever you wish); do NOT pick up your luggage:); go directly to the immigration inspector. Unless things have changed from a few years ago, there is a bus within a block of the cruise terminal that goes to the metro....snip...

In Boston it is called the T. And the bus that you take from right next to the port is the Silver line which is part of the subway system that goes to South Station. From there you can go anywhere else in Boston for the same price you paid to get on the bus.

The water ferry is also great.

Right next to the port, there is not much to see. There is a rather large office building that is there, but it is all offices and stores. You need to get to other places to see the real Boston.

Thanks for all your help everybody. I was so disappointed when I thought this trip might not go ahead simply because of the impossibility of travelling around for two weeks with six weeks worth of luggage :eek:. We are doing our first TA in November this year, also our first trip to the US, so we'll wait until after that before we book anything.

Gill

many great suggestions. Boston is a great city [son and DIL live there] with many things to see and do -- much more than you can begin to accomplish in one day. As with any port of call, do your review and pick out the ones you can reasonably accomplish in one day and don't lose any sleep over what you missed -- save them for next time. Please treat yourself to a good lunch. Tons of great places. I recommend you skip the HoHo busses -- find what you want to do and plan your transportation directly to those locations. We used the HoHo bus and its marginally OK. I might consider it if I had several days and wanted to get a "feel" for the city the first day, but they are pretty slow as a means of transportation and won't give you much time at any one location. If you do get off, it could be a long wait for the next one and during heavy tourist times, getting a seat on the next one is not guaranteed, For one day, I would think the HoHo busses are too time consuming. You said you like history, so I would recommend the Freedom Trail with a nice lunch in there somewhere [others suggested Italian and indeed there are dozens of good places that will be near your route -- I would opt for seafood -- there are many other options including the many stalls in Fanueil Hall]. But don't discount the art museum. I am not a huge art lover, but they have a really nice collection. Anyway -- enjoy your trip.

And to our Boston friends -- please take care of my kids.

If you're looking for good seafood I'd recommend Yankee Lobster which is near the port. It's a tiny place that serves on paper plates, but their seafood is better than many of the fancy places in the area (and much much cheaper). They were recently featured on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" on the Food Network for their stuffed quahogs and lobster mac and cheese.