Just Off the Getaway- very long

arf2005

We were also on this cruise. Ship is great. We did all the specialty restaurants. All were very good. Buffet was worst I have seen on NCL ship. Not ships fault but think they are cutting back. Next time will never go their for lunch. Officers are very friendly and helpful!!! We had a B6 balcony. Need this extended balcony. Daughter and husband also had vibe and loved it.

Thanks for your review. We just booked the Getaway for May and can't wait. Now I have some things to look up that you mentioned. :)

I can't wait to get back to Maho and St Martin.

How much did it cost you for the driver in St Martin?

We did a tour through Bernard's and I think it was $35 pp - they have several choices on their website and at least 2 of them include a stop at Maho. As for just a driver to Maho - I'm not sure what that would cost in terms of a taxi but it is about a 20-25 minute drive from the pier we were at so it would possibly be cheaper to do the tour and you would see/do more in the long run. I can't say enough good things about Bernards.

Thanks for your great review! My husband & I sail this Saturday and have never been to any of the ports. We have booked Godfrey for St Martin but are not sure what to do for St Thomas. Deciding between some type of sailing snorkel excursion and seeing the island/ beach time. It seems independent tour's allow shopping at the beginning, sightseeing then beach time and don't return you until 4. That's when the ship leaves so not sure it's an option?? Would like to go to mountaintop and snorkel with lots of sealife. What did you do there or recommend we do? Oh and we are one of five ships in port ( sounds crowded)

The first time I was in St. Thomas we did the Champagne Catamaran and loved it (of course that was 4 or 5 years ago). It goes over to St. Johns and is absolutely beautiful. You get to snorkel and some beach time plus I believe (check the times) you would have time for some shopping when you return. It's still one of my top 5 favorite excursions.

Wanting to book with 2 young kids, are there fireworks on this cruise and do you know which side of the ship they go off? Thanks so much. Have a great time on the next one!!!

Yes. there are fireworks - I believe it's the port side - it's whichever is the right side of the ship - I've never been able to remember the correct names - anyhow, I know it's the right side. However, it gets really crowded, so if you have kids with you take them to the deck directly above the Vibe area - it's deck 17 I believe and you will have a clear view of the entire show. Go about 30-45 minutes early though, because people start setting up for their positions that early! The fireworks were on either Tuesday or Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday) - if you look back at the review, I have the specific day mentioned. Your kids will love the ship. There's a lot for them to do. The kids pool is great, miniature golf, Nick characters, etc.

Is the vibe open the first day and what time does it close at night?

Will we be able to see fireworks from vibe?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app maria

Yes, it was open the first day and I wish I could answer when it closed. I meant to ask that question and forgot to. We never stayed past about 4pm. Perhaps someone else will know the answer. Vibe is on the wrong side of the ship to see the fireworks - the best place IMO to see them is the sun deck directly above Vibe - it gives you a clear view of the entire front of the ship - it was awesome to stand there to watch them!

Please explain the picture uploading to Facebook. Would you have to buy Internet minutes? How did it work?

I didn't personally use it, but I did look at it and it said it was free. As for how it worked, I assume you would have to connect your phone or memory card to the device in order to download the picture - it then allowed you to write something I believe before posting to your Facebook account. It said it was free. I saw several people throughout the week using it - younger people for the most part.

You could, of course, buy internet minutes and download anything you wanted from the privacy of your room. This however didn't involve any internet minutes. I wish I had taken a picture of the machine. It stood about chest high and they had several of them positioned around the public areas.

We were also on this cruise. Ship is great. We did all the specialty restaurants. All were very good. Buffet was worst I have seen on NCL ship. Not ships fault but think they are cutting back. Next time will never go their for lunch. Officers are very friendly and helpful!!! We had a B6 balcony. Need this extended balcony. Daughter and husband also had vibe and loved it.

The one specialty we did was also very good. Vibe has spoiled me for future trips I'm afraid! I agree that the officers were very friendly and helpfully - great staff overall!

Yes. there are fireworks - I believe it's the port side - it's whichever is the right side of the ship - I've never been able to remember the correct names - anyhow, I know it's the right side. However, it gets really crowded, so if you have kids with you take them to the deck directly above the Vibe area - it's deck 17 I believe and you will have a clear view of the entire show. Go about 30-45 minutes early though, because people start setting up for their positions that early! The fireworks were on either Tuesday or Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday) - if you look back at the review, I have the specific day mentioned. Your kids will love the ship. There's a lot for them to do. The kids pool is great, miniature golf, Nick characters, etc.

So, would our aft balcony NOT work for watching the fireworks?

Thanks!

What a wonderful review. Really makes me look forward to my September sailing. I would not normally book a new ship this soon, but you have made a believer out of me!

I was a bit apprehensive myself but was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully they continue along this path.

Is the vibe open the first day and what time does it close at night?

Will we be able to see fireworks from vibe?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app maria

I just read in another thread (in case you didn't see it) that the hours were (they thought) 8am - 11 pm.

Also, did you have to wear a wristband all week for Vibe or do they use your key card for verification?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on same sailing also in Vibe (we got a cabana) and no, no need to wear wristband all week. I attach mine and DH's to the beach bag I carry. Your key card opens the door and after day one the bartenders will know who you are.

BTW, the Vibe bartenders are the best! I was on Breakaway with Vibe in October and had so much fun with Sean as our bartender. When we walked into Vibe on Getaway last week we were so happy and surprised to see that Sean had moved to Getaway. Kervin was equally awesome and those guys made the week so much fun.

So nice to NEVER have to wait in line at a pool bar and to have bartenders who know your name/ favorite drink and are always smiling and giving a happy welcome when you walk in or a "see ya later" when you leave.

I was on same sailing also in Vibe (we got a cabana) and no, no need to wear wristband all week. I attach mine and DH's to the beach bag I carry. Your key card opens the door and after day one the bartenders will know who you are.

BTW, the Vibe bartenders are the best! I was on Breakaway with Vibe in October and had so much fun with Sean as our bartender. When we walked into Vibe on Getaway last week we were so happy and surprised to see that Sean had moved to Getaway. Kervin was equally awesome and those guys made the week so much fun.

So nice to NEVER have to wait in line at a pool bar and to have bartenders who know your name/ favorite drink and are always smiling and giving a happy welcome when you walk in or a "see ya later" when you leave.

I agree - they were wonderful!!

I'm pretty sure I hung out with your daughter at Vibe....flight attendant? I won't mention her name or airline but her hubby is a great guy with some awesome sideburns? If these are your kiddos they are awesome, fun people! Tell her the Dallas girl who lives in Boston says "hello" and sorry we didn't get to say goodbye at the end of the week.

I'm pretty sure I hung out with your daughter at Vibe....flight attendant? I won't mention her name or airline but her hubby is a great guy with some awesome sideburns? If these are your kiddos they are awesome, fun people! Tell her the Dallas girl who lives in Boston says "hello" and sorry we didn't get to say goodbye at the end of the week.

Yep that is them!!!! Will tell them hello from you!!!!

Two more questions... I've been looking at doing the Bernard's tour you mentioned at St. Maarten. What time did you get to Maho, and how long did you stay? They do a tour that's just Maho, but I'd rather do the full one as long as I still get decent time there.

Also, did you have to wear a wristband all week for Vibe or do they use your key card for verification?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do Bernard's tour! His company is great. Request the MILKMAN!!! I did a private one with the roll call. Free drinks and nice ac bus. Loved the island!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do Bernard's tour! His company is great. Request the MILKMAN!!! I did a private one with the roll call. Free drinks and nice ac bus. Loved the island!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And the rum punch delivers a PUNCH!