Amsterdam-Zaanse Schans

We will be arriving in Amsterdam on Monday June 19, 2014, which is a holiday, Whit Monday. We will be docked in front of the Piet Hein Building. How far is the cruise terminal to Centraal Station? Is it walking distance or is there a bus/tram service in the vicinity of the cruise terminal? The plan is to take Connexxion bus 391 from Centraal Station to Zaanse Schans. I understand it is about a 40 minute trip. I am having difficulty finding a schedule for bus departures, specifically for this date. Will public transportation be on a reduced schedule? Also for the return trip, picking up a bus outside of Zaanse Schans, would this also be bus 391? If we wanted to go to the Anne Frank House from Zaanse Schans, via public transportation, what would our route be.

In the alternative, can anyone recommend a reliable taxi service that could transport up to eight people.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. (As would the return of the search function on these boards). Thank you.

Yes it will be a schedule like Sundays, so less trains and buses at certain hours. On the way back to AF huis you need to travel back to Amsterdam Centraal.Walk from there or take tramnr. 17 to Westerkerk. For more information re public transport you can use this website:

http://9292.nl/en#

Enjoy

Edited by Ine

We will be arriving in Amsterdam on Monday June 19, 2014, which is a holiday, Whit Monday. We will be docked in front of the Piet Hein Building. How far is the cruise terminal to Centraal Station? Is it walking distance or is there a bus/tram service in the vicinity of the cruise terminal? The plan is to take Connexxion bus 391 from Centraal Station to Zaanse Schans. I understand it is about a 40 minute trip. I am having difficulty finding a schedule for bus departures, specifically for this date. Will public transportation be on a reduced schedule? Also for the return trip, picking up a bus outside of Zaanse Schans, would this also be bus 391? If we wanted to go to the Anne Frank House from Zaanse Schans, via public transportation, what would our route be.

In the alternative, can anyone recommend a reliable taxi service that could transport up to eight people.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. (As would the return of the search function on these boards). Thank you.

How far is the cruise terminal to Centraal Station? Is it walking distance or is there a bus/tram service in the vicinity of the cruise terminal?

You can catch tram #26 from the cruise terminal to Centraal Station. You exit the terminal, turn right and walk down the street (Piet Heinkade) to crosswalk, cross the street and you will see the tram stop. You can easily see exactly where the tram #26 stop is on Google Maps.

The plan is to take Connexxion bus 391 from Centraal Station to Zaanse Schans. I understand it is about a 40 minute trip. I am having difficulty finding a schedule for bus departures, specifically for this date.

We took bus 391 from Centraal Station to Zaanse Schans. I used the journey planner. The schedule for your dates will be available well before your cruise (schedule is not currently available for June). The journey planner has maps that show the location of your bus stops in AMS & ZS. Very handy tool. Link is below:

http://9292.nl/en/journeyadvice/zaandam_bushalte-zaanse-schans/station-amsterdam-centraal/departure/2014-03-24T1417/3

Will public transportation be on a reduced schedule? Yes

Also for the return trip, picking up a bus outside of Zaanse Schans, would this also be bus 391? Yes, 391. Make certain that you use bus #391 - this one is DIRECT - other options require transfers.

If we wanted to go to the Anne Frank House from Zaanse Schans, via public transportation, what would our route be.

Take bus 391 back to Centraal Station & then take tram 13 or 17 to Westermarkt. Note: queues at AFH are very long. You can purchase your tickets online to avoid the queue.

Link to AFH:

http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/

Yes it will be a schedule like Sundays, so less trains and buses at certain hours. On the way back to AF huis you need to travel back to Amsterdam Centraal.Walk from there or take tramnr. 17 to Westerkerk. For more information re public transport you can use this website:

http://9292.nl/en#

Enjoy

Ine: Thank you for your helpful information. I tried using 9292.nl but was unable to get a schedule past March, but since I now know June 9th will be a Sunday schedule I will pick a Sunday in March to get a general idea of the schedule. Are the schedules the same year round, or do the buses and trains run more frequently during the summer months?

If we choose to take the train instead of the bus, I believe we also go to Centraal Station and take the train to Koog-Zaundijk and then walk approximately 15 minutes to Zaanse Schans?

When purchasing the bus and/or train tickets-are they purchased from the station or from the bus driver or train conductor; do the tickets need to be validated/stamped at a machine before boarding; and are round trip tickets available, and if so is there a time limit on them.

Thank you for any assistance.

How far is the cruise terminal to Centraal Station? Is it walking distance or is there a bus/tram service in the vicinity of the cruise terminal?

You can catch tram #26 from the cruise terminal to Centraal Station. You exit the terminal, turn right and walk down the street (Piet Heinkade) to crosswalk, cross the street and you will see the tram stop. You can easily see exactly where the tram #26 stop is on Google Maps.

The plan is to take Connexxion bus 391 from Centraal Station to Zaanse Schans. I understand it is about a 40 minute trip. I am having difficulty finding a schedule for bus departures, specifically for this date.

We took bus 391 from Centraal Station to Zaanse Schans. I used the journey planner. The schedule for your dates will be available well before your cruise (schedule is not currently available for June). The journey planner has maps that show the location of your bus stops in AMS & ZS. Very handy tool. Link is below:

http://9292.nl/en/journeyadvice/zaandam_bushalte-zaanse-schans/station-amsterdam-centraal/departure/2014-03-24T1417/3

Will public transportation be on a reduced schedule? Yes

Also for the return trip, picking up a bus outside of Zaanse Schans, would this also be bus 391? Yes, 391. Make certain that you use bus #391 - this one is DIRECT - other options require transfers.

If we wanted to go to the Anne Frank House from Zaanse Schans, via public transportation, what would our route be.

Take bus 391 back to Centraal Station & then take tram 13 or 17 to Westermarkt. Note: queues at AFH are very long. You can purchase your tickets online to avoid the queue.

Link to AFH:

http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/

Dogs 4 Fun: Thank you for the wonderful detailed information and links.

Roseann

I know on the trams you scan the pass when you get on & when you get off..not sure on the buses

The trams you can buy the ticket usually in the middle of the tram not from the driver...he is not waving you on for a free ride

Friends thought he was telling to just get on they did not know you had to pay at the booth near the middle of the tram

You might be able to buy tram ticket at the shop next to the port building ..we bought the day pass there

The link I posted said the price was 5 Euro r/t on the bus ..it may have changed

Lyn

Roseann

I know on the trams you scan the pass when you get on & when you get off..not sure on the buses

The trams you can buy the ticket usually in the middle of the tram not from the driver...he is not waving you on for a free ride

Friends thought he was telling to just get on they did not know you had to pay at the booth near the middle of the tram

You might be able to buy tram ticket at the shop next to the port building ..we bought the day pass there

The link I posted said the price was 5 Euro r/t on the bus ..it may have changed

Lyn

Thanks Lyn, that was my next question, whether we could pay by Euro or need to buy a pass. We will probably be getting an Amsterdam & Region Day Ticket which is valid on metros, trams and buses operated by GVB and Connexxion, which will take us out to Zaanse Schans. From the Iamsterdam website it looks like you do need to check in and out with your card every time you enter and exit one of the vehicles. We will be looking for the shop next to the port building--do you recall whether it was on your left or right as you exited?

My apologies for misspelling your name earlier.

Roseann

We will be looking for the shop next to the port building--do you recall whether it was on your left or right as you exited?

My apologies for misspelling your name earlier.

Roseann

when you come out of the port it is to your right (I think)

It is between the Movenpick & the PTA it is like a corner store that sells gifts & souveniers etc... just ask at the counter for the pass

Lyn

I sent an inquiry to the manager of the PTA as to whether transit passes are sold in the PTA or nearby; or in the alternative can they be purchased directly on the trams. Sent a similar inquiry to customer service at the GVB.

Thanks for all your help Lyn. We are very much looking forward to this trip. Wish you were still on this cruise with us.

Roseann

[quote=R & R Carroll;41887892 We are very much looking forward to this trip. Wish you were still on this cruise with us.

Roseann

Me TOO :(

Oh well ...there is 2015 to look forward to;)

Lyn

This link tells you about (the rather new) daytickets that now also includes transportation to Zaanse Schans.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport/region-day-ticket

I am almost sure it will be sold at the cruise terminal., If not you can buy it at the visitorcentre in the white wooden building in front of Centraal Station.

This link tells you about (the rather new) daytickets that now also includes transportation to Zaanse Schans.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport/region-day-ticket

I am almost sure it will be sold at the cruise terminal., If not you can buy it at the visitorcentre in the white wooden building in front of Centraal Station.

Thanks INE

That is great information

We are hoping to get back to Amsterdam in 2015

Lyn

Thank you Ine! Lyn-hope you make it back in 2015.

Zaanse Schans Windmill Village: get tickets from Amsterdam Central to Koog-Zaandijk, headed toward Alkmaar and taking (17 minutes) to stop then a 10-15minute walk to the village.

It is the 4th stop on the train: AMS Sloterdijk, Zaandam, Koog-Bloemwijk then get off at Koog-Zaandijk.

AMS departures at 9:47 – 10:05 from platform 7a OR 10:17-10:35 from platform 7b

• Train return at : 24 and :54 past the hour from Koog-Zaandijk. catching the 3:24 train arriving back in Amsterdam Central at 3:42

ABOUT ZAANSE SCHANS:

Five functional windmills that are open to the public and with inside tours at €3.50 each:

• De Gekroonde Poelenburg, saw mill open 2nd Saturday of month from 10 -5

• De Kat paint mill open 9.30 - 4.30 p.m. has group pricing: 10 together/one paying €2.50 ea. for group

• De Zoeker oil mill open daily from 9.30 - 4.30 p.m.

• Het Jonge Schaap sawmill open Monday to Saturday from 9.30 - 4.30

• De Bonte Hen oil mill open Saturdays from 9:30 - 4:30

Six craft houses/shops, all free but the chocolate one isn’t open on Saturdays:

• Pewter Foundry de Tinkoepel open 10-5

• Distilling and tasting bar open 10-6

• Zaans Gedaan Cocoa Lab not open on Saturdays

• Coopery Tiemstra open 1-5, €2 but free with Zaans Museum entry

• Cheese Farm Catharina Hoeve open 8-6 demos and tastings throughout the day

• Wooden shoe workshop in ‘De Vreede’ warehouse attached to gift shop, open 8-6

Four museums at Zaanse Schans:

• Zaans Museum & Verkade Pavilion open 10-5, €9 adults, €7.50 for 65+. Also is a WIFI hotspot.

• The Museum of the Dutch Clock open 11-7, €10

• Albert Heijn Museum Shop 10:30 – 1, free

• Bakery Museum 10-5, free

Two restaurants, in addition to the Zaans Museumcafé

• De Kraai in a renovated barn, has huge Dutch pancakes: sweet or savory & Classic Dutch pies. Opens 9 am

• De Hoop op d'Swarte Walvis, upscale French restaurant, extensive wine menu, desserts. Opens at noon

• Zaans Museumcafé offers top-quality teas and coffees, as well as sandwiches, sweets and other snacks.

There are several souvenir shops in the village featuring Delft, mustard, bread, wooden shoes, pewter and cheese

For discounts: Zaanse Schans Card costs €10 OR Plus Card for €15 which adds the Museum of the Dutch Clock free

• Free admission at: Zaans Museum/Verkade Pavilion (normal price € 9,) , the Coopery (€ 2) (barrel making), and one windmills (€ 3.50): paint mill De Kat, sawmill Het Jonge Schaap or oil mill De Zoeker.

• You will also qualify for discount admission charges in the area around Zaanse Schans.

• The discount at the Windmill Museum (normal price € 4) and the Honig Breethuis (€ 4) is 30%.

• It also offers you attractive discounts in the souvenir and museum shops, hospitality and catering and traditional Dutch craft demonstrations.

• Purchase card at Zaans Museum if you want one

There are several boat tours along the river. Here is one I thought most interesting:

http://www.rederijdeschans.nl/rondvaart.php?lang=en

A fascinating excursion that takes you past the houses and mills of the Zaanse Schans, the fine merchants mansions of the Gortershoek and along a zone of industrial activity on the banks of the Zaan.

• The boat tour starts at the excursion jetty next to the mostard mill De Huisman, Kalverringdijk

• During the trip the captain informs you about the Zaanse houses and mills and their characteristics

• Tours between Noon and 3 p.m. at the start of every hour lasting 45 minutes for €6.00

Train

From Amsterdam Central Station take the stopping train direction Uitgeest to station Koog-Zaandijk. Traveling time is appr. 20 minutes. From Station Koog- Zaandijk it's a 10 minutes walk to the Zaanse Schans.

Bus

There is a direct connection from Amsterdam Central Station to the Zaanse Schans (Bus 91)

Busstop Lagedi jk (from train station Zaandam) and busstop Provincialeweg (from train stations around Amsterdam) are closest to the Zaanse Schans.