going on Oceana for the first time 5-19 April

frankie 57

Hi,

We have done P&O before but have not tried Oceana. Will be doing the Western Med on 5-19 April.

Do you have any tips about the ship. Best bar at night?

What the entertainment is like?

Quite place to sit in the sun?

Best place for coffee?

Info on the sauna and steam room, and gym (esp classes)?

Any good tips please?

We are stopping at La Coruna, Gibraltar, Alghero, Livorno, Monte carlo, Barcelona and cartagiena. Any tips on these would be great.

Thanks. can not wait for some SUN!!!!

Hi, We were on Oceana on a mini cruise in August and liked it so much have booked for this July. We always found it was nice and quiet at the back pool and we enjoyed Le Club every night for a drink and dance. There is a costa coffee on board which is very nice.

There are two Costa coffee bars on board - Explorers and Tiffany's. Lots of quiet places on deck - especially on Deck 12 at the stern. Entertainment is standard P&O. She's a nice ship - not my favourite but I always have good cruises on her and am just back from 28 nights to Caribbean on her. Had great time.

Thanks for the info,

Good I can get my coffee fix and settle at the back of the ship to get some sea air.

Sounds like the ship has some nightlife, on Adonia ( although a wonderful ship ) everyone seemed to go to bed early.

Is there somewhere nice to read our kindles?

You both must have some tips you can tell, where to have breakfast? Good lunch spot? Is the there any point in paying for Dinner?

Thanks

Why not just go and let it all be a surprise. You will know everything before you go, well I think a lot of the fun for the first few days is in the exploring and finding out for yourself the best places on board.

If you don't want to go to the main restaurant for breakfast, and, like me, don't like the scrum in the buffet then try Cafe Jardin for breakfast - it's at the top of the atrium on deck 8. It's a M P White restaurant but you only pay in the evening. They don't serve a cooked breakfast as such although there are usually two cooked options - maybe a kedgeree, or bacon panini, that sort of thing, it changes every couple of days. There's cereals, fresh fruit, cold meats and cheeses, yoghurts, compotes, croissants, pastries - no toast. At the beginning of a cruise it's usually quiet up there until people discover it. We have used it for lunchtimes too. There are a variety of cooked options plus salad etc.

We have eaten once there in the evening but didn't consider it worth it compared with the main restaurant. Somewhere I would recommend is the Horizon Grill - it's part of the buffet restaurant where it has waiter service in the evening. If you can book a table overlooking the pool, outside weather permitting, it's lovely to have a meal up there. They do wonderful steaks! Be sure to book in advance, ask for a railing table. I can't remember the cost but it's not particularly expensive and well worth it.

Hope this helps. Oceana is probably one of our favourite ships, we love her, wait till go you on board and see the atrium!:)

If you don't want to go to the main restaurant for breakfast, and, like me, don't like the scrum in the buffet then try Cafe Jardin for breakfast - it's at the top of the atrium on deck 8. It's a M P White restaurant but you only pay in the evening. They don't serve a cooked breakfast as such although there are usually two cooked options - maybe a kedgeree, or bacon panini, that sort of thing, it changes every couple of days. There's cereals, fresh fruit, cold meats and cheeses, yoghurts, compotes, croissants, pastries - no toast. At the beginning of a cruise it's usually quiet up there until people discover it. We have used it for lunchtimes too. There are a variety of cooked options plus salad etc.

We have eaten once there in the evening but didn't consider it worth it compared with the main restaurant. Somewhere I would recommend is the Horizon Grill - it's part of the buffet restaurant where it has waiter service in the evening. If you can book a table overlooking the pool, outside weather permitting, it's lovely to have a meal up there. They do wonderful steaks! Be sure to book in advance, ask for a railing table. I can't remember the cost but it's not particularly expensive and well worth it.

Hope this helps. Oceana is probably one of our favourite ships, we love her, wait till go you on board and see the atrium!:)

Hi, we get on in the 19th - our 2nd cruise on her. Lovely small ship.

Have not tried the Café Jardin for breakfast - how busy does it get about 9am?

Hi, we get on in the 19th - our 2nd cruise on her. Lovely small ship.

Have not tried the Café Jardin for breakfast - how busy does it get about 9am?

Small :eek:

77,000 tons and 2016 passengers :)

My favourite P&O ship so far

Small :eek:

77,000 tons and 2016 passengers :)

My favourite P&O ship so far

Apologies - since cruising on Oceana we've been on the Celebrity Silhouette and see these lovely mid size ships like Oceana as 'small'.... especially when you see some of the HUGE ships coming out this year.

I should have used the term 'mid size' but used 'small' with very fond memories. No offense intended ---- I'm only 5 ft tall so to me 'small' means beautiful ! :D:D

Can't wait to get back to her :);)

Edited by Presto2

Thank you all for the info so far,

Hope we enjoy this mid-sized ship, the huge ones are just not us, we did like Adonia but are looking for a ship we can do longer cruises e.g. World Cruise (just a dream).

Cafe Jardin sounds good for Breakfast and Lunch, we are not big eaters.

Will try Horizon Grill as we love steak. Hope we can enjoy it under the stars.

Many of you have said you love the ship, could I ask what about it you like?

Thanks

What do we love about Oceana?

The atrium is really special and has a lovely atmosphere. It isn't too big so manages to feel quite cosy at times - for want of a better word.

We loved the food and the staff were great. The Freedom Dining system with pagers worked brilliantly and we always had lovely tables for 2 that weren't 2 inches off the table next to us!

Loved the formal nights (our first and we really were not formal dress people when we gave it a go!) and there was loads of space on the deck mid August to sunbathe.

Our fellow passengers were great - all generations mid August having a great time.

The ship just has a nice feel to it - I'm not sure if you can put what that is in words.

Having been on a newer ship since we can see that there are some things that Oceana doesn't have that the Silhouette has, but we still can't wait to return. :D

We also loved the Band at sailaway but we understand that P&O has stopped this -------- really disappointed. :(