What can you tell me about Charleston and Fantasy?

amy_94

A group of my friends are looking at doing a cruise on the Fantasy next summer. None of us have been to Charleston and this is also the first cruise for all of us. Any information you can provide as far as hotels and any must know information for a new cruiser would be greatly appreciated. Than you in advance!

My search feature is down, but I found the link buried on page 9 of these threads.

This is the definitive Fantasy thread amassed over the last few years.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1182074

As for Charleston, you have to narrow it down for the kind of info you are looking for: Food, activities, transportation, hotels, etc. There are a lot of locals on these boards and previous cruisers who will be more than excited to share their experiences and provide tips if you can narrow the field for the info you are seeking.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by kkdleon

Glad to hear they have improved embarkation in SC. We would not cruise out of there until it changed.

In 2010...you dropped off luggage in one spot, then were dropped off in an off site "waiting area" in the hot sun with a tent, until you could board hot busses to take you to the terminal. It really was unbelievable.

That being said....we LOVED Charleston!! We went two days early and stayed two days to visit!!! Magnolia Plantation is wonderful, city walking tour is charming, and of course no visit is complete without Fort Sumter!! Our group really enjoyed the city and how hospitable the people there were!!

We loved eating at California Dreaming (looks like a fort and located in marina area) as well as several local favorites!!

The Fantasy is a very nice ship!! We have been on her twice and her sister ship once...so we love the size of that ship. You will have a wonderful time!!

Enjoy cruising!!

In 2010...you dropped off luggage in one spot, then were dropped off in an off site "waiting area" in the hot sun with a tent, until you could board hot busses to take you to the terminal. It really was unbelievable.

Pretty much the same except if you drive to the port, you will be picked up by a "shuttle bus" to the terminal from the covered parking area. You still go thru a sort of snaking line that allows you to drop off luggage and then head to parking area or drop-off point - which during the summer can get right hot. Shuttle buses are now A/C and usually are very quick at getting you to the terminal. You still cannot walk up to the terminal but in 4 years they have really made it much smoother.

As for Charleston info here is a thread that has all kinds of stuff:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=628998&page=43

Edited by bobsfamily

I cruised the Fantasy this past January. We stayed at the Shem Creek Inn in Mt. Pleasant. The hotel wasn't awesome, but it met our needs and there were plenty of places to eat and have a drink within walking distance. They did not offer a shuttle but the cab ride was only $20 and thats with the tip. Once we actually got to the port I was very glad that I had done the park and cruise thing rather than drive to the port. It was my first time there and it definetly would have been frustrating not really knowing the layout and all. I also had purchased FTTF. I really enjoyed being able to go straight to my room and unloading my carry ons. Other than that and using the VIP line a couple of times at guest services I didn't benefit greatly from it.

Cruised the Fantasy last September and had a wonderful time. Great ship and crew. Had some much fun that we booked her again this September.

I agree with everyone that Charleston is a great city and allow time to explore and enjoy her. Lots of information is posted here about both Charleston and Fantasy that you should be able to gather all the information you need. One suggestion is to take some time and do the horse drawn carriage tours.

Charleston harbor process was a little confusing at first but it was fast and painless. I did like the fact that it was drive through luggage drop off and parking was inside.

If someone asked us what our most favorite cruise was...it would be so hard to pick one. They each had their special memories. January 2013 we did a B2B2B out of Charleston and it was incredible. We should have stayed in Charleston a few extra days because there is so much to see and do, even in the winter. The crew on the Fantasy are excellent (as they have been on other ships too) and the Cruise Director Risa is a gem. Her announcements are so clear and concise; she doesn't spend a lot of time chit-chatting. We would do it again in a heart beat!

Do we have any complaints???? Well, I guess I would have to say that I wish Carnival would switch some ports so that it wouldn't be a continuous Nassau - Freeport. They have added a couple, so perhaps we'll try it again. :D

Gamecock, do you find that you would need FTTF in Charleston? I am looking of doing a family cruise next summer with 4 couples and 2 grandkids

I am not Gamecock...but I am a Gamecock fan! I would not purchase the F2F in Charleston. The rooms were ready very quickly when we sailed the Fantasy. ( We were not Platinum at that time). We loved the Fantasy. We had porthole cabins on Empress deck. Love that location!

Glad to hear they have improved embarkation in SC. We would not cruise out of there until it changed.

I hear you Melinda. We cruised on Celebrity's Mercury that year out of Charleston and it was awful. It was disorganized and they had people standing in an open parking lot. I read Jamman's review and it looks like they have improved the process from those days.

We are going on out first cruise out of Charleston on the 15th of this month. We are driving up the night before and found a stay and cruise deal with Best Western Seagrass they also had good reviews. I also purchased the FTTF because we are traveling with our kids. I will let you know how it all goes when we return.

*has anyone ever taken the catamaran, stingray excursion? I would like to do it but I'm worried it will limit our time getting to do other things like the straw market. Any advice would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two tips:

1. Don't know about window cabins, but insides were going with NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT. Three of us loved our private cabins. Check that out.

2. If any have a handicap placard, there is no charge for parking. Nice touch.

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

My mom and I are leaving from Charleston on May 31. We also booked the night before for a stay and cruise package with best western sweet grass inn. It ended up costing about 170 to stay and them shuttle us the next morning back. We are leaving my car there. As far as the fantasy, I have sailed her before and I love her. Wonderful ship and the crew is nothing short of amazing. There is an all things fantasy thread if you can find it. They have very helpful tips. We are planning on going to isle of palms in Charleston the day before we sail to start our vacation early!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gamecock, do you find that you would need FTTF in Charleston? I am looking of doing a family cruise next summer with 4 couples and 2 grandkids

We got to the port about 10:45. We dropped our luggage off and then we had to wait until 11:30 before they let us start parking. Charleston has limited parking, so they had to let the previous cruise clear our before we could park. Once you park, they load you on a shuttle bus and take you to the check-in. Once we entered inside the terminal, we were onboard within 30 minutes. I don't think FTTF would be worth it if you can arrive early.

Keep your boarding passes and ID/passport out when you arrive. They check it several times before you get the parking area. If you get there before they fill up, you are parked in an warehouse. That was kind of nice.

Edited by Gamecock_Cruiser