Shorts in London in early June

We will be in London for 6 days in early June with our 17 year old sons and need to know the appropriate dress options. Here they wear shorts and a collared polo shirt most if not all the time. I have never been to London and no idea what any if us should wear! Thanks

We will be in London for 6 days in early June with our 17 year old sons and need to know the appropriate dress options. Here they wear shorts and a collared polo shirt most if not all the time. I have never been to London and no idea what any if us should wear! Thanks

I think they are very brave. We do not get the weather in this country for shorts. Well we might get the odd day.

But go for it if they want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Check out the info on this page: http://www.london.climatemps.com/june.php

The average high for June in London is 68°F with an average low of 52°F.

UK weather is very changeable and unpredictable, so it could be nice and warm at beginning of June, or it could be quite chilly. These days people seem to wear what they want, but shorts probably won't be worn till July/August.

Having said that, you will see very few people wearing shorts in central London and practically none at all in the City of London. I think they would be better off wearing jeans rather than shorts as it probably won't be warm enough.

Also, if you intend to go somewhere nice for, say, afternoon tea or dinner, there are some places that don't allow males in without long trousers. It all depends on what your plans are too.

As far as fashion sense is concerned, I am a single male in his 40's, so any fashion I may ever have had has been gone a long time. If you are refering to short shorts, may wanna give them a miss. Around knee length or longer, its your choice. London was and may still be home to the punk scene and much like every big city, no-one else is going to take much notice.

Dress codes may well apply in some places, but probably few and far between (Harrods dosent seem to, I have been there as a shopper and a diner and jeans have always been acceptable)

With the exception of this January, I have never been to London and ever been cold. Even in November and December I have been happy to walk around in shirt-sleeves and jeans, often having to carry the coat/jacket/hodded top in my back-pack.

London is far from tropical, but the shops, streets, underground and general walking around keeps me warm if not hot enough.

Have a great time. Shorts or no shorts.

tracesmom ~

It's never occurred to me to wear shorts in London--not because "it's not the done thing," but simply because the weather isn't normally conducive to it.

In early June, the lads probably would find their knees rather chilly; they're more likely be layering up with light-weight jumpers (sweaters) and jackets, along with a pair of slacks.

The only time I've ever felt uncomfortably hot and sticky in London was on one particular August day in Oxford Street. But then, Oxford Street always makes me break out in a sweat!:D

We had a few warm, not hot, days in early September a few years ago and were sitting in a square. A young 20 something couple in shorts went past and the British couple we were with immediately said. "Americans."

You just won't see shorts in Central London but jeans will be fine.