Sapphire Princess--update on changes being made

ibfern

Sapphire Princess, February 15, 2014

7 day Mexican Riviera Cruise

Hi Cruisers, I just got back from a delightful cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We departed from the port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. Embarkation was not at the normal berth because the Island Princess was in port as well so the Sapphire was at the secondary berth, which was not connected to the main check in area. Despite having tiered check in-- we were told to arrive at 2pm--we arrived close to noon and had no problems getting on the ship early. Embarkation was orderly and quick and we were on the ship within 45 minutes of our arrival time. Our luggage was also quick to appear at our rooms, we were completely unpacked and ready to rock and roll by the time the muster drill was happening.

The weather was warm in the 70’s and sail away was fantastic. Our room C742 was the perfect place to relax and watch the land disappear as we sailed into the smooth Pacific Ocean. We had been on this ship and in the same room two weeks earlier on a 4 day cruise which was simply fantastic and well beyond my expectations.

This was a reunion cruise for us; we had been on a Crown Princess transatlantic in the spring of 2011 and met two couples—Robbie and Steve, and Char and Trevor. We all had a fantastic reunion marked by non stop laughing, fun at every port, and a winning trivia team to boot! We enjoyed every aspect of this cruise including our nightly dinners together with a fantastic dining staff including our waiter Mark, junior waiter Gerome, and head waiter Giovanni who took care of our request for extra veggies every night. Did you know you can order extra veggies nightly? The Spinach sautéed in olive oil and garlic was so fantastic we all wanted the recipe! The food was very good, Italian night was our favorite especially the pasta dish (penne all’-allarrabbiata) which was prepared by Giovanni in the middle of the International Dining room. You have to be in the main dining room to experience this as they do not prepare this dish at any other dining room.

We finally got invited to the “ most traveled luncheon” which was truly an extravagant experience, and extended to the top 40 cruisers. I was so excited about this lunch, it was a first for us and it was so much fun. We were greeted by Captain Craig Street whom we got to take a picture with, at the end of lunch these pictures were delivered to us. What a great way to celebrate our 327 days of sailing with Princess! We sat with Dicomes Olaru who was the Future Cruise consultant on the ship. Dicomes was a great source of information for me, more on that later. The lunch was a fancy affair, the dishes were prepared especially for this occasion and they were delicious. The desert was so gorgeous, it was sad to destroy it but necessary in order to eat! Sadly I did not get any pictures of it.

I found myself on a fact finding mission since this ship is relocating to South East Asia and we will be back on it this coming winter for back to back cruise out of Singapore. The ship is going through a major facelift of sorts. They are re-doing the shops in order to accommodate the Asian cruisers who want high end shops such a Coach, and buy high end watches such as Rolex. The former spot for Calypso Cove was closed during the entire cruise; this will become one (or more) of the new fancy shops on the ship.

the Royal and I hope this changes because the “on Demand” set up works great.

This ship has already been updated significantly. There is an Alfredo’s in the Atrium although this restaurant only serves Pizza while the new Alfredo’s on the Royal serves pasta and salads as well. We went to the International Café (across the atrium) and grabbed salads and brought them back to our table at Alfredo’s. I like the Pizza on the Lido deck better than Alfredo’s. The International Café is located on deck 5 along with Alfredo’s, Vines, and the bar, which is connected to the IC.

They closed the Wedding chapel and redid it as the new Calypso Cove, I was there for the grand opening. The new store is smaller and seems to have a lot of snack foods in it, I never understand why they sell food on a cruise ship but I guess some people cannot live without their Snickers bars! LOL

They finished installing the new 40” TVs in all the rooms. They are not located on the wall, instead they are placed in the corner nook where the old TV’s went. The sides of the TV’s hang out of the nook by about 3-4” on each side. They are large and very bright, they do not use the new “on demand” technology that is in place on the Royal.

Here is a summery list of some of the changes that will happen on this ship which will ultimately live in Asia and not come back to California again, or so they say. Asia is its true home since it was built in Japan. This ship will be competing directly with several large Asian/Chinese cruise lines for this wealthy population:

· There will be new ultra high end merchandise on the ship all geared toward the wealthy Asian population who buy Rolex watches among other uber expensive watches, Jewelry, and designer handbags like Coach.

· There will be new signage added to the ship covering Mandarin, Japanese, and English languages. I assume announcements will be made in all three languages as well, and there will probably be language specific shows and games as well.

· There will be new menus all geared toward Asian tastes.

· The staff is changing as well; all key positions will be manned by folks Bilingual in Mandarin, Japanese, and English languages.

· The wedding Chapel is now the Calypso Cove, weddings and vow renewals will still take place on the ship but I do not know where they will be held.

This is a short list of some of the changes but I had a tough time getting anybody to commit to what will happen. I tried to find out whether the money on the ship will be American (as it usually is except in Australia) or Chinese or Japanese. The staff that I asked seem to feel that American dollars will continue to be the money used on board although this does not make sense to me in light of the fact that so much will change on the ship. I guess time will tell.

If you have any questions please ask, I will endeavor to answer them to the best of my abilities! :D

We were at a travel show this past weekend and the Princess rep was tell us about this, he didn't go into much detail but did say it was getting work done to it and heading to Asia.

We sailed on the Sapphire a few years ago just after the International Cafe was installed.

I was doing some research on the Sapphire the other day when I found that the Sapphire was originally the Diamond before the fire on the Diamond.

DiamondPrincess01.jpgDiamondPrincess02.jpgNews photo of Diamond Princess on fire.DiamondPrincessFire-01.jpg Diamond Princess Sapphire Princess(Princess Cruises: 2004- ) Two sisterships of 113000grt were ordered from Mitsubishi in Japan, to be named Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess. Two photos of Diamond Princess under construction at Nagasaki on 31st May 2002. She was originally due to enter service in 2003. On 1st October 2002, a fire started in the Art Gallery, which spread to much of the ship, causing extensive damage. Princess have stated that the ship will be rebuilt, but I do not have an estimated completion date. The second ship of the class was renamed Diamond Princess for 2003 delivery, and Diamond Princess will enter service as Sapphire Princess.

I am on the Sapphire now and:

The Calypso Cove is only temporarily in the Chapel, the new 'Limelight Boutique' is opening in two days where Calypso was.

They are installing modems on the TVs to make them interactive - mine was done and I was enjoying it, but today the TV shows just a blue screen and 'network connection error' - obviously more work to be done.

The Calypso Cove is only temporarily in the Chapel, the new 'Limelight Boutique' is opening in two days where Calypso was.

They are installing modems on the TVs to make them interactive - mine was done and I was enjoying it, but today the TV shows just a blue screen and 'network connection error' - obviously more work to be done.

I know this is a bit off topic, but can't seem to find someone who knows. Since you're on the Sapphire….is it a 4 day cruise and are they offering the drink package??

I was on the sailing just before you. The weather and seas were perfect.

I was lucky enough to be traveling again with our good friends who were on cruise #64 I think. Her husband doesn't care to go to the luncheon, so I jumped at the opportunity:) I did take a picture of that desert, and then promptly ate it up.

I noticed a lot of the staff in the Horizon had already been switched over to accommodate the upcoming passenger base.

We ate most of our meals in the International dining room for a change and liked it much better.

We did the vow renewal with Captain Street(held in Skywalkers) they decorated it especially for our occasion. Also did the Platinum Studio...worth every penny!! We stayed in our first mini E729 and loved it.

We'll miss the Sapphire...Glad you enjoyed your cruise too:)

PS...I took a pic of Mark too:)

Have they been serving more Asian food on the Sapphire? Any other major or minor changes? We will be on the ship about a month from now.

Not that we saw last week, and I don't really know what changes Time to Book saw in the HC, staff looked the same as always to us. :confused:

Not that we saw last week, and I don't really know what changes Time to Book saw in the HC, staff looked the same as always to us. :confused:

The new staff were very good...no complaints here.

I thought the food seemed the same as usual too.

I wish I was on the Sapphire now too, the 10 day cruise looked very interesting. I wish they offered it more often on the west coast!

timetobook: I am not sure you are still on the ship but if you are please say hello to Mark! :)

I was not talking about the waiters and Jr. Waiters, the staff they are changing include the Cruise Director, the Future Cruise person, the Captain's circle host, the Maitre d, and so on. The new staff will be bilingual English/Mandarin/Japanese.

I was looking thru some online pictures of the Sapphire Princess and I was shocked just how much of the ship I have never seen and I've sailed on her twice. :eek:

I suppose I should join my family who is sailing her to Japan in April. Guess two cruises is just not enough to experience everything onboard.

Hello DriveslikeMario, our neighbors on Caribe, Mexico cruise over Christmas.

Mark

Thanks for the latest on the ship. Looking forward to my farewell cruise on a great ship. Will miss her!

Sapphire is just repostioning so you can still cruise on her! Sounds like she may have a lot more to offer than ever before, could be better than ever! :)

Thanks Amelia for an awesome review :D

It surprises me that nobody knows about the secret spot in club fusion, that spiral staircase that is in the front leads to the former "Wake Bar" which is now just a cool place to meet and talk, no more bar opened! Go check it out...

Sounds like you had a great cruise ... too bad I was working instead of cruising :(

We all had a fantastic reunion marked by non stop laughing, fun at every port, and a winning trivia team to boot!

T must have left her BINGO luck in your room :)

We enjoyed every aspect of this cruise including our nightly dinners together with a fantastic dining staff including our waiter Mark

Mark is fantastic!

Did you know you can order extra veggies nightly?

Some really cool friends taught us that in our last cruise ;)

We finally got invited to the “ most traveled luncheon” which was truly an extravagant experience

Awesome:D

If you have any questions please ask, I will endeavor to answer them to the best of my abilities! :D

Going to be around Sunday in case we drop in for fuel?

Edited by MauiLvrs

I was told by he staff that the Calypso Cove will be permanently in the Chapel. We will

be on the Sapphire again on March 11 and 15. So I will check again.

Greg

I was told by he staff that the Calypso Cove will be permanently in the Chapel. We will

Greg

Thats what I heard Greg, The old location will now house the high end product such as handbags and such.

We were at a travel show this past weekend and the Princess rep was tell us about this, he didn't go into much detail but did say it was getting work done to it and heading to Asia.

We sailed on the Sapphire a few years ago just after the International Cafe was installed.

I was doing some research on the Sapphire the other day when I found that the Sapphire was originally the Diamond before the fire on the Diamond.

DiamondPrincess01.jpgDiamondPrincess02.jpgNews photo of Diamond Princess on fire.DiamondPrincessFire-01.jpg Diamond Princess Sapphire Princess(Princess Cruises: 2004- ) Two sisterships of 113000grt were ordered from Mitsubishi in Japan, to be named Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess. Two photos of Diamond Princess under construction at Nagasaki on 31st May 2002. She was originally due to enter service in 2003. On 1st October 2002, a fire started in the Art Gallery, which spread to much of the ship, causing extensive damage. Princess have stated that the ship will be rebuilt, but I do not have an estimated completion date. The second ship of the class was renamed Diamond Princess for 2003 delivery, and Diamond Princess will enter service as Sapphire Princess.

My hubby was following the new builds in 2004 as we had booked the Sapphire for August of that year. So he knew about the fire and the name switch. A few cruises ago, he actually brought along the same info/photos on our Island Princess cruise and told our tablemates and waitstaff about it.

Sounds like you had a great cruise ... too bad I was working instead of cruising :(

T must have left her BINGO luck in your room :)

Going to be around Sunday in case we drop in for fuel?

Yep, hope to see you both! :)

I am actually thinking about grabbing a room on the transpacific, the 25 day cruise is cheap and the itinerary looks good! More places I've never been too!

Who is the cruise director? Know if he / she will be on the transpacific in April?

Looking forward to all the upgrades.

I was under the impression all the main staff will be replaced with folks who are bilingual at least. Should be interesting...

Greg

That is also what I was told, I think its permanent.

Yep, hope to see you both! :)

Sad we couldn't make it :(

With a Pilot report from the Captain of an Airbus A320 that had moderate turbulence at 7000 feet (for us that would be severe and not comfortable at all) and as bumpy as it was Friday going south when the winds were not as bad (50 knots at 5000 feet) we decided to travel home high and headed to 10,000 feet as soon as we left San Diego where we pleasantly found a smooth ride home with only a few small bumps (even over the Grapevine).

The wind did make for a nice clear view:

13055986745_eb3bee32e1.jpg

20140309_114442 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

We did wave as we went past ;)

Sadly, only a few more times will she tie up here and then she'll be headed to a new home.

13055435303_3d10a1ee44.jpg

IMG_4739 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

The NCL whatever sure makes the Iowa look small.

We fell in love with the Sapphire and may not be able to sail on her for a long time.

You'll have to have extra fun on her us too.

Edited by MauiLvrs