St Lucia

hammers

Just returned from our Caribbean cruise on Ventura, had a wonderful time with the exception of St Lucia. Our issue is with the taxi setup that is run for the convenience of the taxi company. They are dictating where you go and when you come back to the ship. Also the cab fare is extortionate for the 15 minute ride to Rodney Bay. When we arrived at the beach we were herded up by the taxi rep and handed over to the next highwaymen who done us a deal on 2 sunbeds and a umbrella, should be $30, yours for only $25 and by the way, can I have a tip! The next thing to contend with was the constant stream of beach vendors and beggers. Our day at the beach for taxi and sunbeds/umbrella cost $52. Next time I think we will stay on the ship.

Terry

So how much did you have to pay for the taxi? I'll bet they also dropped you off at the hotel main entrance where we have found the sunbeds a little more expensive, better to go a little further along the beach. The same with the taxis, better if you walk outside the gate where loads of them park up for a better deal. If you are not happy with the price carry on walking, amazing how much cheaper things can get ;)

So how much did you have to pay for the taxi? I'll bet they also dropped you off at the hotel main entrance where we have found the sunbeds a little more expensive, better to go a little further along the beach. The same with the taxis, better if you walk outside the gate where loads of them park up for a better deal. If you are not happy with the price carry on walking, amazing how much cheaper things can get ;)

Hi, I believe it was $16pp return, $32 in total, therefore the cost for the beach visit was $57. It was not only the cost, it was the constant line of vendors, some were okay but others were more aggressive. We were not dropped off on this occasion at the Rex resort hotel but to a parking area a bit further along the Recruit beach. I have thought about going outside the port but was put off in case I could share a cab. Then there is the worry of arranging a pick up time etc.

Terry

We spend the day at the Rendezvous Resort , about 10 mins taxi ride from the ship. The day pass was $65 (£40) each and included free alcoholic drinks and a very nice buffet lunch.

Security guards were on the beach and absolutely no vendors or hawkers in sight , only staff bringing the drinks to the sunbed !

Hi agree about Cosol tours had a brilliant driver and they really look after their clients.Saw everything we wanted to and spent an hour on a beach where we could snorkel.Thoroughly recommend having a look at them:)

I think we paid about $7 pp each way last year so what you paid wasn't far out. The sunbeds are usually cheaper away from the hotel so you may have paid over the odds, must have been a busy day as I have found sometimes that if there are not many ships in port the price may come down. It can also be cheaper if you negotiate as a group. Have to agree though that the vendors can be a bit aggressive here but a firm but polite no is often enough. Beware of the guys folding leaves to make fish etc. Will also say that if you visit again try Cosol as others have said, we enjoyed the tour so much we have done it twice

£40??!! for a day on a beach? That's unbelievable. Sorry, just my thoughts. I think our day out with Cosol was about £30 and was really interesting and enjoyable. You can only sunbathe on a beach. You can do that on the ship?

£40??!! for a day on a beach? That's unbelievable. Sorry, just my thoughts. I think our day out with Cosol was about £30 and was really interesting and enjoyable. You can only sunbathe on a beach. You can do that on the ship?

Blimey 40quid I would expect Free alcoholic drinks and a nice buffet for that price, oh and a pleasant sea breeze and of course a lovely blue ocean to swim in. Not quite the same on the ship me thinks.:):):)

The cost drops dramatically after the initial rush off the ship. Hang back for an hour or have a short walk around town before heading to the beach. Most people only stay on the beach for a couple of hours so we have found that later in the day we are the only ones from the ship left on the beach. Never had a problem getting back and never paid that much for a taxi.

I think we paid about $7 pp each way last year so what you paid wasn't far out. The sunbeds are usually cheaper away from the hotel so you may have paid over the odds, must have been a busy day as I have found sometimes that if there are not many ships in port the price may come down. It can also be cheaper if you negotiate as a group. Have to agree though that the vendors can be a bit aggressive here but a firm but polite no is often enough. Beware of the guys folding leaves to make fish etc. Will also say that if you visit again try Cosol as others have said, we enjoyed the tour so much we have done it twice

Hi, we have been to St Lucia/Rodney Bay on many occasions, it just seemed on this trip that we were being taken for granted. This was the first time that we were not dropped off the Rex Resort, we were in St Lucia in December on the Azura, on this occasion we were dropped off at the Rex Resort using the same taxi firm located at the Cruise port. The taxi fare was the same then but I believe the beds/umbrella were $20.

Thanks for suggestions to use Cosol Tours but we are really beach people, that being our main reason for visiting the Caribbean every December/February.

Terry

We booked a Spencer Ambrose tour in St Lucia and it was fabulous - couldn't fault it.

Perhaps this thread would be better however under ports!

Edited by Host Sharon