Trivia On Board

So, my boyfriend and I love trivia, we're pretty good at Jeopardy, etc and I specifically just love games - so I was pretty excited to see that when reading through some dailies, I noticed there is trivia generally 2-3 times each day, my question though, is what is it like?

It seems like it is usually held in a bar, if I'm not mistaken? Is it run like a typical quizo would be at a local bar, are there prizes, do people actually show up? Were in our mid twenties and just wondering if it would be something we would have FUN doing or if its not really worth our time. :)

If you dont think we would have fun with that, what are some other recommendations for some of the "games" and "gameshows" that the cruise typically hosts that you would consider the most fun!

It is generally well-attended, and it can be a fun way to meet fellow cruisers and the cruise staff. As the cruise goes on, people tend to settle into larger teams and it gets more competitive… The cruise staff are good at keeping things light-hearted, though, and it helps to keep in mind that there is really nothing at stake. They don't give out the prizes until the end of the cruise, and I won't tell you what they are, but let's just say that they should not be your main motivation for playing! :D

It is generally well-attended, and it can be a fun way to meet fellow cruisers and the cruise staff. As the cruise goes on, people tend to settle into larger teams and it gets more competitive… The cruise staff are good at keeping things light-hearted, though, and it helps to keep in mind that there is really nothing at stake. They don't give out the prizes until the end of the cruise, and I won't tell you what they are, but let's just say that they should not be your main motivation for playing! :D

Thanks! haha we just like playing, prizes definitely arent motivation, but they dont hurt ;) You say "as the week goes on" - do most people attend the trivia each day- as in its culmulative? Ive noticed there tends to be trivia listed at both 9am and then around 5pm? How do they differ?

It is not cumulative, but if you go a lot you will see a lot of the same people after a while. If you find people you enjoy chatting and playing with, it could turn into a regular thing for you every day.

Ive noticed there tends to be trivia listed at both 9am and then around 5pm? How do they differ?
I'm afraid I have no idea about trivia at 9am! :p

So, my boyfriend and I love trivia, we're pretty good at Jeopardy, etc and I specifically just love games - so I was pretty excited to see that when reading through some dailies, I noticed there is trivia generally 2-3 times each day, my question though, is what is it like?

It seems like it is usually held in a bar, if I'm not mistaken? Is it run like a typical quizo would be at a local bar, are there prizes, do people actually show up? Were in our mid twenties and just wondering if it would be something we would have FUN doing or if its not really worth our time. :)

If you dont think we would have fun with that, what are some other recommendations for some of the "games" and "gameshows" that the cruise typically hosts that you would consider the most fun!

DH loves the trivia. He usually partners with a few others to form a team but participation is loose. Sometimes people are busy with other things and it is okay if the whole team is not present. He did win a few small prizes. It was held in the Atrium in front of the big screen and there were many different topics.

We also both did "55 to Say Alive" where you have 55 seconds to complete a task. That was very fun with the same small prizes. Dancing with the Breakaway Stars was an absolute hoot to watch. If you are nimble it would be great fun to enter!

Edited by Medtech2

My traveling crew went to two trivia games. One was movie songs and the other was a disco one

The young lady running the disco game was monotone and boring and wanted to be anywhere but there. We still had fun because we won but the prizes suck(quoting the CD)

Later saw her at la cucina and she was a different person

Amazing what a few drinks does to lighten up some ones mood

We later say her as one of the crew in dancing with the stars.

We love trivia and really do attend every session. On our most recent Sun cruise we played with a core group of four and added two from Some semi-regulars. We also participated in a 5 day progressive trivia tourney.

Lots of fun. We take it seriously as far as attending but are lighthearted about the experience and outcome. It is for fun and we enjoy it. I have seen some sre losers and even once a lady harassed the cruise staff over a ruling. Geez.

Here is one tip. We like to show up early on day one and ask people if they wants to form a team with us... We say That we will show up every day and hope to find others that like to do that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are different types of trivia.

On sea days one of them is progressive trivia. You don't mark it. You just hand it in. The team with the most points at the end wins the prizes (cards, Tshirt, beer cooler, key ring etc for all team members).

The other one you mark at the end and you get tickets. Redeem tickets at the end for an average (at best) prize. That's how it was on Jade last year.

I liked the trivia on that ship.

Thanks everyone for the tips on trivia, sounds like it will definitely be something that we will enjoy doing while we are there and definitely take advantage of it!

My traveling crew went to two trivia games. One was movie songs and the other was a disco one

The young lady running the disco game was monotone and boring and wanted to be anywhere but there. We still had fun because we won but the prizes suck(quoting the CD)

Do all of the trivia sessions have a "theme" and is there any way to find them out ahead of time? I can imagine that I wouldnt know very much about disco...:(

We love trivia and really do attend every session. On our most recent Sun cruise we played with a core group of four and added two from Some semi-regulars. We also participated in a 5 day progressive trivia tourney.

Lots of fun. We take it seriously as far as attending but are lighthearted about the experience and outcome. It is for fun and we enjoy it. I have seen some sre losers and even once a lady harassed the cruise staff over a ruling. Geez.

Here is one tip. We like to show up early on day one and ask people if they wants to form a team with us... We say That we will show up every day and hope to find others that like to do that too.

My PLAN is to show up a bit early for everything, but being vacation and getting caught up in just about anything, plus the size of the ship, I worried that my normal early self will end up late and lost quite frequently.

We probably will end up going at least a few days, but I dont think we'd be able to commit to going every day, so many things I already have planned that Id like to do! haha

The theme will be listed in the dailies. Sometimes it just general trivia. Some people get really into it and ruin it.

You can "get into it", but not ruin it. Just keep it lighthearted. For us it was not about winning it was about the trivia itself and the fun of knowing random stuff. We got to lnow the other teams. It was more social than competitive. No hard feelings. Maybe we were lucky. Great mix on all my cruises.

what are some other recommendations for some of the "games" and "gameshows" that the cruise typically hosts that you would consider the most fun!

The not so newlywed game show

Deal or no deal (there might be a cost to that)

Sing it if you know it (like name that tune but with a twist)

Majority rules game show

Battle of the Sexes

Quest

We were on the Gem from Feb 17 to the 26th. They also had Tri-bond trivia which consisted of three items that are bound by something; for example flakes, hair, mug = frosted.

They also had a Nickolodeon themed trivia at around 2 pm on a sea day.

We won the progressive which took place over 4 sea days. Prizes were a shopping tote, champagne, cards, mugs, and a trophy. Gave most of it away to other players. Players were serious but fun, score was close.

It is not cumulative, but if you go a lot you will see a lot of the same people after a while. If you find people you enjoy chatting and playing with, it could turn into a regular thing for you every day.I'm afraid I have no idea about trivia at 9am! :p

This probably varies ship to ship. On our just completed cruise on the Star, the a.m. trivia was progressive where people stay in the same teams all cruise and scores are added up at the end. Very competitive.

There were usually two other trivias, sometimes visual or musical ones, in the afternoon and evening (5:30). Teams were based on who showed up.

We didn't always go to those, depending on other activities going on.

There are sports activities as well as games that go on daily.

LOL I love my NCL pen that I got in 2009 and it finally ran out of ink in 2014.
On my last cruise you had to win 10 times to get a pen! Or pool your winning tickets together with a few other people and have joint custody of one pen :D

there are all kinds of trivia on the ship, from music to sports and of course the on going, progressive one that is very popular. Yes, you will probably enjoy it; go to the first one and judge from there. You might want to pair up with another couple because 4 or 6 heads are better than 2. The progressive trivia goes everyday for the entire cruise. As for prizes, yes, there are the little things, like key chains, etc. Nothing worth much, but it is fun. We always play some, how much depends on the ship and yes, normally they sessions are well attended. Other fun activities are things like the scavenger hunts, dance lessons and some ships will have maybe a scrabble competition. There are lots of activities; some lasting only a few minutes, some much longer; some well attended, some with only a handful of people. The longer the cruise and the fewer ports, the more activities on board.

I think your experience with the person leading the group is a little unusual; most of them are pretty personably and fun. Yes, we too have had a few duds...More on other lines: I won't mention which line, but one line the gals leading the trivia would have rather been doing something else, it was obvious. We found this twice, both times the same cruise line.

LOL I love my NCL pen that I got in 2009 and it finally ran out of ink in 2014.

The one we just won fell apart when the Spousal Unit opened the package.

Like HumptyDumpty....... well, HE could be am omelet. The pen was components.