Different view on tips

sparks1093

I had occasion to eat at restaurants twice yesterday, brunch at IHOP and dinner at a mid-priced local restaurant. The tips for both meals came to $9.25 per person. Makes $11.50 a day look like a great deal:).

I had occasion to eat at restaurants twice yesterday, brunch at IHOP and dinner at a mid-priced local restaurant.

The tips for both meals came to $9.25 per person. Makes $11.50 a day look like a great deal:).

You reckon the only people you're tipping on board ship

are the dining room wait staff?

/

I have no problem with the tips & also give extra.

The problem with your example & the rationale for setting the tip amount on a cruise is that while you gave @$5 at IHOP, there are plenty IHOP diners who feel a buck or 2 is fine no matter how large their group or bill. (& The tips on a cruise ship go to more than just the waitstaff.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

I had occasion to eat at restaurants twice yesterday, brunch at IHOP and dinner at a mid-priced local restaurant. The tips for both meals came to $9.25 per person. Makes $11.50 a day look like a great deal:).

First of all, the tips on board a ship is $5.80 per person, per day, for three servic meals. That's $1.94 per person per meal.

The cost per passenger per day is still less than $10 per passenger. At max, that avg cost per meal is $3.33

What did you spend at IHOP and your mid priced local restaurant?

11.50 is great and i have no problem with that. I give extra for great service

Just a question from a Canadian, are the tips at restaraunts automatic in the States. I know the wages if thats what you want to call them are beyond horrible?

Tips are not automatic unless it says so on the menu. MANY restaurants will add tips on large parties........but it should say such on the menu.

I have no problem with the tips & also give extra.

The problem with your example & the rationale for setting the tip amount on a cruise is that while you gave @$5 at IHOP, there are plenty IHOP diners who feel a buck or 2 is fine no matter how large their group or bill. (& The tips on a cruise ship go to more than just the waitstaff.)

Yes, I am aware of that. No rationale involved, just noting that for all that one gets for $11.50 a day it's a great deal no matter how you slice it.

Yes, $11.50 per day is a small price to pay for the service you receive on a cruise.

I'm wondering what the heck one eats at IHOP that earns a tip of $9.25 for one person! That's a tip on a $45 meal if you tip 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, $11.50 per day is a small price to pay for the service you receive on a cruise.

I'm wondering what the heck one eats at IHOP that earns a tip of $9.25 for one person! That's a tip on a $45 meal if you tip 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if my first post was confusing but the $9.25 was the total per person tip for both meals.

]

The OP stated the $9.25 per person was for two meals. One at IHOP and another at a mid priced restaurant.

Tips are not automatic unless it says so on the menu. MANY restaurants will add tips on large parties........but it should say such on the menu.

The new game on shore is one restaurant in California, and a small chain in Florida, adding 1% to every bill, to cover their employees healthcare due to Obamacare. And where most are startled by this, yet some OK, this is an instance were these establishments are imposing a tax, where only the government has that right. Imagine everyone just imposing taxes on a whim, instead of raising the cost of their good and services.

Amazing how some will allow anyone just create their own accounting for their own tax purposes and savings, and just go along with it.

Now, back to cruising.

I prefer the auto-tips (now that I'm used to them) as it makes things so easy! I'm designing and making some cruise-themed "Thank You" cards for the staff that go beyond expectations so I can give them extra cash in a more personal way. Typically I include our room steward, servers and our favorite bar tender but it's a completely personal choice.

First of all, the tips on board a ship is $5.80 per person, per day, for three servic meals. That's $1.94 per person per meal.

The cost per passenger per day is still less than $10 per passenger. At max, that avg cost per meal is $3.33

What did you spend at IHOP and your mid priced local restaurant?

So what does the cost of the meal, to the cruise line, have to do with anything? We are not charged per meal so cannot use a per meal price to calculate tips.

The new game on shore is one restaurant in California, and a small chain in Florida, adding 1% to every bill, to cover their employees healthcare due to Obamacare. And where most are startled by this, yet some OK, this is an instance were these establishments are imposing a tax, where only the government has that right. Imagine everyone just imposing taxes on a whim, instead of raising the cost of their good and services.

Amazing how some will allow anyone just create their own accounting for their own tax purposes and savings, and just go along with it.

Now, back to cruising.

I would feel better if they just raised their prices 1%. I probably wouldn't eat in these establishments more than once.

Nope, I know that I am tipping more than just the waitstaff- makes the tips an even better deal;).

Don't forget that in many restaurants in the US you're tipping more than just the waitstaff as well. Different restaurants have different specifics, but the bartenders, runners, and busboys typically get a portion of tips. The waitstaff often has some say in the portion, so a runner or busboy who is a big help may see a bigger tip-out.

Just a question from a Canadian, are the tips at restaraunts automatic in the States. I know the wages if thats what you want to call them are beyond horrible?

A small number of restaurants do automatically include the gratuity for everyone. Most will include it if there's six or more people in the party since people tend to get stingy as the group size increases.

It will declare this usually on the menu and definitely on the bill. The customer can add more or request it be reduced, though the latter would likely involve a conversation with the manager to find out why the customer was unhappy.

The hourly wage is definitely atrocious, but is based on an assumption of a certain level of tips. My kids experience in food service during college has been that in some places during the slower shifts they'll pull in minimum wage equivalent; other places during busy shifts they'd pull in substantially more. It's certainly tough work, but be sure to look at the whole picture of the custom rather than one isolated component.

So what does the cost of the meal, to the cruise line, have to do with anything? We are not charged per meal so cannot use a per meal price to calculate tips.

That's why they make it easy for you and have always given suppested amounts. In fact, when I started cruising in the 80's, tips for the waiter were $3 a day, and $1.50 for his assistant. Cruising is half now what I paid back then, but the tips have gone from $4.50 to $5.80.

A $2 tip on a $3 meall is not bad though.

Don't forget that in many restaurants in the US you're tipping more than just the waitstaff as well. Different restaurants have different specifics, but the bartenders, runners, and busboys typically get a portion of tips. The waitstaff often has some say in the portion, so a runner or busboy who is a big help may see a bigger tip-out.

A small number of restaurants do automatically include the gratuity for everyone. Most will include it if there's six or more people in the party since people tend to get stingy as the group size increases.

It will declare this usually on the menu and definitely on the bill. The customer can add more or request it be reduced, though the latter would likely involve a conversation with the manager to find out why the customer was unhappy.

The hourly wage is definitely atrocious, but is based on an assumption of a certain level of tips. My kids experience in food service during college has been that in some places during the slower shifts they'll pull in minimum wage equivalent; other places during busy shifts they'd pull in substantially more. It's certainly tough work, but be sure to look at the whole picture of the custom rather than one isolated component.

You do realize that only the waiters and bartenders are allowed to make that $2.13 wage, supplemented by tips. Everyone else by law has to make minimum wage.

What waiter job would YOU take where the 2.13 wage earner had to supplement someone making over $7 and hour? Not the smart ones. I would never accept a job where oi had to share my income with anyone.

Wow, in Canada our minimum wage is over $10/hour and people still tip 10-20%. We own a mid priced restaurant and serving staff make a LOT of money.

There are 4 states in America where all servers must make at laest minimum wage, and then earn tips on that. They can make a pretty penny. Surprised more states don't goi after that, but obviously, it makels the menu prices substantially higher.

There are 4 states in America where all servers must make at laest minimum wage, and then earn tips on that. They can make a pretty penny. Surprised more states don't goi after that, but obviously, it makels the menu prices substantially higher.

That is true, our Canadian menu prices are definitely higher than in the US.

You do realize that only the waiters and bartenders are allowed to make that $2.13 wage, supplemented by tips. Everyone else by law has to make minimum wage.

What waiter job would YOU take where the 2.13 wage earner had to supplement someone making over $7 and hour? Not the smart ones. I would never accept a job where oi had to share my income with anyone.

Actually the law only specifies that if someone makes more than $x in tips per month they are allowed to be paid the minimum wage for tipped employees. It does not specify from whom those tips have to be received.

Wow, in Canada our minimum wage is over $10/hour and people still tip 10-20%. We own a mid priced restaurant and serving staff make a LOT of money.

If someone deserves a tip from me I leave them a tip, I do not generally try to figure out what their total income might be.

Edited by sparks1093