Bringing Wine Onboard

ctemkg

Hi. We are planning to bring a bottle of wine onboard with our carry ons. This wine is a gift for some friends we will meet on land at one of the ports, so we would like to wrap it. Any suggestions? I am guessing that we would have to wrap it after we get onboard, so security can inspect it.

Hi. We are planning to bring a bottle of wine onboard with our carry ons. This wine is a gift for some friends we will meet on land at one of the ports, so we would like to wrap it. Any suggestions? I am guessing that we would have to wrap it after we get onboard, so security can inspect it.

While I can't say definitively you must leave it unwrapped, IMHO that's a good way to go. If it was wrapped, the wine police might make you unwrap it anyway to verify it is not something stronger which would not be allowed on board.

Be aware that even though it is a gift, it will count against your one bottle per adult corkage fee free allowance.

I agree wait until you board to wrap it.

So unwrapped is the way to go when bringing it onboard. Will they hold on to the bottle so we have to go claim it later on or will they allow us to keep it with us? We usually do not bring any wine onboard, so not sure how the procedure works.

So unwrapped is the way to go when bringing it onboard. Will they hold on to the bottle so we have to go claim it later on or will they allow us to keep it with us? We usually do not bring any wine onboard, so not sure how the procedure works.

No they will not hold wine or champagne, you are free to bring it on.

Anything over the 1 bottle allowance you pay the $15 corkage fee and they stamp the bottle.

It's one bottle allowed per adult passenger before you have to pay the corkage. There are lots of cute wine bags you could get to wrap the bottle in.

Edited by geoherb

Anything over the 1 bottle allowance you pay the $15 corkage fee and they stamp the bottle.

We are only bringing one bottle, so no extra corkage fee.

Do they place some ugly stamp on the bottle? Since this is a gift for someone off the ship, we would not want the bottle or label to be defaced.

We are only bringing one bottle, so no extra corkage fee.

Do they place some ugly stamp on the bottle? Since this is a gift for someone off the ship, we would not want the bottle or label to be defaced.

No, you should be fine. They don't do anything with the one per adult wine bottles you bring on at embarkation. All they have done with us previously is acknowledge that you only have one wine bottle per adult.

No, you should be fine. They don't do anything with the one per adult wine bottles you bring on at embarkation. All they have done with us previously is acknowledge that you only have one wine bottle per adult.

They have to stamp it so they know it is exempt, if you take it into the DR without the stamp then you will be charged a corkage fee. This is new.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

They should only be stamping the ones that you have to pay the corkage fee. The stamp is so the MDR staff know that you already paid the corkage fee.

Since you are only bringing on one bottle between the two of you there will be no charge so no stamp.

Now if for some reason you decide to take this one bottle to the MDR you would then be charged the corkage fee since it doesn't have a stamp.

No, they will not stamp the one bottle that you are allowed. Only additional ones.

People are using the word "stamp". When we sailed on EMERALD from terminal 2 in Feb, they were using stickers of a particular color with a number on them. I presume the color/number combination is unique to a voyage. The sticker could be applied to the open glass area of the bottle or on top of the label.

Personally, I bypassed the desk at first being almost the first in the door and once we got our waiting room seats, I returned to the desk and paid for stickers. I ended up applying my own stickers because my wine was all taped up in a box and I did not want to open the box before getting to cabin as the box was a bit unstable.

We just sailed the royal Feb 9th and they stamped our 3rd bottle but told us to bring our charged receipt to the dining room so there would be no problem..............no stickers for us

Just a bit unclear after reading all the posts, let me see if I understand.

As it's our 25th Wedding Anniversary on our cruise in May we will for the first time be bringing on board a bottle of champagne. Can we then take this champagne to our dinner in the restaurant, either speciality or main dining, without being charged a corkage fee?

Thanks for your clarification.

Sapphire56

Edited by Sapphire56

Just a bit unclear after reading all the posts, let me see if I understand.

As it's my our 25th Wedding Anniversary on our cruise in May we will for the first time be bringing on board a bottle of champagne. Can we then take this champagne to our dinner in the restaurant, either speciality or main dining, without being charged a corkage fee?

Thanks for your clarification.

Sapphire56

You can drink it in your room but if it was not purchased onboard and you take it to the DR then you would have to pay the $15 corkage.