E-ticket online check-in query

This is disgraceful :mad:

On Fred last week, we had to give our tickets in to reception a few days into our holiday and then on the night before we came home we received an envelope containing coloured labels to put on our cases, boarding cards and plastic tags to seal the case (like a sort of plastic jubilee clip) We just put our cases out by 2am and we next saw them at Gatwick. On the morning we were called by the colour and number on our luggage tags, taken to the airport by coach and straight through to security. Brilliant!

And Thomson have their own airline :rolleyes:

Hi Jackanne1

Can't the return boarding card be done at the same time as the outgoing one? :)

Probably could now, but I don't think there was the opportunity to print an online boarding pass on the outward flight from Newcastle airport 2 weeks ago. Everyone else seemed to be getting them at the airport.

I'm not sure when the online boarding card facility started.

On Fred last week, we had to give our tickets in to reception a few days into our holiday and then on the night before we came home we received an envelope containing coloured labels to put on our cases, boarding cards and plastic tags to seal the case (like a sort of plastic jubilee clip) We just put our cases out by 2am and we next saw them at Gatwick. On the morning we were called by the colour and number on our luggage tags, taken to the airport by coach and straight through to security. Brilliant!

I did ask the Head lady at Reception why the passengers had to do the work themselves and she said they didn't have the facility to do it on the ship!! Apparently, it was worse the week before with seats on the plane being double booked.

I did ask the Head lady at Reception why the passengers had to do the work themselves and she said they didn't have the facility to do it on the ship!! Apparently, it was worse the week before with seats on the plane being double booked.

What a load of twaddle.:eek: Don't know if you were on for a week or two but even so, they work 24 hours a day and know how many passengers will be going home each week.

Maybe the fact that we are on for four weeks and, if it has to be done up to 14 days before, we can do it in dribs and drabs over the last two weeks on the way back to Palma.:rolleyes:

They know the internet connection is dead slow and stop so why have they even started this system.:eek:

Does anyone know if this is just the Dream or across the fleet. It doesn't sound very efficient way of doing it.

Does anyone know if this is just the Dream or across the fleet. It doesn't sound very efficient way of doing it.

I hpe it's just the dream and they are using just to try out to see if it will work out before they make it to cover the rest of the fleet . To me it's rubbish it's just another way of cutting costs and we are doing the work for them ,just hope it's scrapped before our cruise in early May :cool:

I hpe it's just the dream and they are using just to try out to see if it will work out before they make it to cover the rest of the fleet . To me it's rubbish it's just another way of cutting costs and we are doing the work for them ,just hope it's scrapped before our cruise in early May :cool:

That was my worry as we are on Majesty 2nd May and don't want problems.

what a shambles for you jaks:(

I completed my online checkin yesterday and printed off both my outward and inward boarding cards no problems (yet)

I can see how everyone trying to do online checkin on the machines in the library will cause mayhem....those machines are so slow and clunky (impossible) and you cant complete the checkin on your own gadgets because the airline wont accept a screenshot

I dont understand why the ship couldn’t issue people with their boarding cards along with their luggage tags as they always have done in the past

anyways jaks....big welcome home:cool:.....hope the cruise itself went well

Edited by geomagot

In happy to give driving the ship a go lol :)

This on line check in sounds like a nightmare especially like you said on the TA when we will all be disembarking in Palma! Does it email your boarding passes or do they just come up on the screen? Just wondering if we can get someone in uk to actually check us in then we just log on and print them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

what a shambles for you jaks:(

I completed my online checkin yesterday and printed off both my outward and inward boarding cards no problems (yet)

I can see how everyone trying to do online checkin on the machines in the library will cause mayhem....those machines are so slow and clunky (impossible) and you cant complete the checkin on your own gadgets because the airline wont accept a screenshot

I dont understand why the ship couldn’t issue people with their boarding cards along with their luggage tags as they always have done in the past

anyways jaks....big welcome home:cool:.....hope the cruise itself went well

Well, it was a shambles but it gave even the non-moaners something to moan about! ;)

I think it is the airline part of the business which has just started to do this on-line printing of boarding cards. Of course the left hand does not know what the right hand should be doing, and the ship people were left to deal with the problem.

It is cost cutting...but don't other airlines do the same. It must be 4 years since I printed my boarding cards for a flight on BA which meant no queuing at the airport. And when BA introduced those machines to print out your boarding cards at Heathrow a few years ago my DH was very upset until he got to know how to use them.

If you are now able to print out your boarding cards for out and inward flights at home, and once the system is bedded in, it might just be a good thing. I think we had to have new boarding passes at the airport because we got a replacement plane with a different layout. There were empty seats on the return flight which does indicate that. Of course this could happen on any future flight.

Yes, thanks, Geo. the cruise went well with only a few niggles on the first 2 days. Did you recommend Ferdie the Head Waiter? I wrote his name down in my little notebook but not who recommended him. Anyhow, he saved the day for us. What a kind and funny man he was, along with his waiters Lewi and Fahmi.

The online check in started at the end of February if I remember correctly - on our paperwork it stated it was recommended there 'may' be an extra charge if you decide to check in at the airport instead! This, I think, is more of an incentive to get you to do it, rather than actually charge you. I am sure Thomson Airlines (rather than Cruises) are heading for a complete online check in system - the same as most other airlines these days - especially low cost ones. Unless you are going on a long cruise, I imagine you can do the outward and inward checkins before leaving home.

The online check-in did come in while you were away, Jakanne because I knew you would have mentioned it before you went.

I do think when it happened in the middle of your holiday you should have been given manual boarding cards.

Now the system is up you can download out and return journeys at home.

Welcome back and can't wait to hear all about it.:)

Yes, thanks, Geo. the cruise went well with only a few niggles on the first 2 days. Did you recommend Ferdie the Head Waiter? I wrote his name down in my little notebook but not who recommended him. Anyhow, he saved the day for us. What a kind and funny man he was, along with his waiters Lewi and Fahmi.

ahhh ferdie yes what a great character :cool: ....he's the/one of the, head wine waiter(s)....so pleased he will be onboard when i go in a couple of weeks....so how was the food in orion?

ahhh ferdie yes what a great character :cool: ....he's the/one of the, head wine waiter(s)....so pleased he will be onboard when i go in a couple of weeks....so how was the food in orion?

I think he is The Head Wine Waiter. You must tell him that we chat on CC. He will remember his "family" of 4 women who liked to sit in his "naughty corner". He looked after us for the 2 weeks after an awful night at another table. His two waiters where we sat were called Lewi and Fahmi but Fahmi may not be there when you go as he was going home. Ferdie didn't want to lose him. They had us laughing every night.

Food....the food was not good for the first 2 days and then it improved and we always enjoyed what we had chosen. One of us was eating the vegetarian choices and she enjoyed them. And we did get beef! A tip would be on the first night to go to the self service restaurant straight after the Drill before the hoards get there as there was a long queue when we arrived so we went down to Orion and the main course had obviously been standing about for a long time and was not very nice! I took photos of some of the menus if you want more details.

I think he is The Head Wine Waiter. You must tell him that we chat on CC. He will remember his "family" of 4 women who liked to sit in his "naughty corner". He looked after us for the 2 weeks after an awful night at another table. His two waiters where we sat were called Lewi and Fahmi but Fahmi may not be there when you go as he was going home. Ferdie didn't want to lose him. They had us laughing every night.

Food....the food was not good for the first 2 days and then it improved and we always enjoyed what we had chosen. One of us was eating the vegetarian choices and she enjoyed them. And we did get beef! A tip would be on the first night to go to the self service restaurant straight after the Drill before the hoards get there as there was a long queue when we arrived so we went down to Orion and the main course had obviously been standing about for a long time and was not very nice! I took photos of some of the menus if you want more details.

How did it compare to the food on your previous cruises?

Am I missing something here? When you print out your boarding cards at home does it say which seats you will be sitting in and if so, what is the point of paying to book specific seats (something I have never done and don't intend to in the future :rolleyes: )

yes it shows your seat numbers...if you have paid to select your seat it will show the ones that you reserved or you can change if there are other seats available

if you havent paid to select your seat you will be randomly allocated seats, if you want to change those you will have to pay the fee

does that make sense??:confused:

Am I missing something here? When you print out your boarding cards at home does it say which seats you will be sitting in and if so, what is the point of paying to book specific seats (something I have never done and don't intend to in the future :rolleyes: )

You are lucky you don't need to pay for seats, Linda. I am claustrophobic and selecting my seat makes the whole experience bearable for me. I have no fear of flying but need to sit in an aisle seat. I have flown often enough to know which are the best areas of the plane for me. If I find myself enclosed in a window seat, I end up freaking out.

People book seats for a variety of reasons.

yes it shows your seat numbers...if you have paid to select your seat it will show the ones that you reserved or you can change if there are other seats available

if you havent paid to select your seat you will be randomly allocated seats, if you want to change those you will have to pay the fee

does that make sense??:confused:

Surely, when the boarding cards are available to print out at home, you won't then be able to pay to change your seat if you find yourself somewhere you don't want to be, as this will mean you taking someone else's allocated seats? :confused::rolleyes:

You are lucky you don't need to pay for seats, Linda. I am claustrophobic and selecting my seat makes the whole experience bearable for me. I have no fear of flying but need to sit in an aisle seat. I have flown often enough to know which are the best areas of the plane for me. If I find myself enclosed in a window seat, I end up freaking out.

People book seats for a variety of reasons.

Yes I know that Eleanor :)

We actually like aisle seats as you don't have to climb over a sleeping stranger to go to the loo ;)

I just think that after taking away meals, newspapers, entertainment, hot towels and sweets for take off and landing (have I missed anything?) it's a bit rich of Thomson to charge us for choosing a seat! I understand Virgin let you choose them for free :rolleyes:

Well that was pretty well what used to happen on Thomson too including when we returned from our last trip on Dream in mid December. No hassle! So why the change? More economy measures? :rolleyes:

Yes I think he's the top man now - head wine waiter. He's a real character. If he's doing a wine tasting, you might give it a whirl Geo - it's worth it for the comedy value although he is very knowledgeable too. I learned a lot but laughed even more! ;)

Edited by kruzseeka

If you pay to book your seats you can check-in 14 days before departure if you don't you have to wait until 7 days before.