If I don't go.

tammymacb

Today I got a phone call from my sister. My dad, who's been ill for a while had a doctors appointment, and has been given only a few months to live.

Our family, has had an 8 night spring break cruise booked on the Carnival Breeze since last year. No, I didn't buy insurance. I don't blame anyone but myself, and I'm not asking for special considerations.

IF when we go ( Mid April ) something serious is happening with my father, I've asked my husband to go on the cruise and take the girls. Honestly, I want them to go. I'd hate to lose ALL the $$. My husband says he should stay home with me, but I'd rather they have the trip, I'll fly to NY ( We live in SC) and take care of business.

IF this happens, should I let Carnival know or not? We have two rooms booked so I guess my DH could have a room to himself and the girls would have their own. Does DH just show up at the port with the girls and say there was an emergency and I'm on the way? The girls are both 17 if that matters.

Just trying to cover all the worst case scenarios now, instead of panicking at the last minute.

Thanks.

Sorry about your father. I hope everything goes well and you are able to go. If not, I think I would just have him report you as a no-show because of a family emergency when he checks in. I would be afraid that they would make a mistake somehow and cancel the entire thing if I called in advance. They should refund you the port taxes and charges and gratuities if you paid those in advance.

Today I got a phone call from my sister. My dad, who's been ill for a while had a doctors appointment, and has been given only a few months to live.

Our family, has had an 8 night spring break cruise booked on the Carnival Breeze since last year. No, I didn't buy insurance. I don't blame anyone but myself, and I'm not asking for special considerations.

IF when we go ( Mid April ) something serious is happening with my father, I've asked my husband to go on the cruise and take the girls. Honestly, I want them to go. I'd hate to lose ALL the $$. My husband says he should stay home with me, but I'd rather they have the trip, I'll fly to NY ( We live in SC) and take care of business.

IF this happens, should I let Carnival know or not? We have two rooms booked so I guess my DH could have a room to himself and the girls would have their own. Does DH just show up at the port with the girls and say there was an emergency and I'm on the way? The girls are both 17 if that matters.

Just trying to cover all the worst case scenarios now, instead of panicking at the last minute.

Thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad, and wish you the best outcome.

If you decide not to go, do not cancel your reservation. Just let the others go to the port and you be a no-show without notification. If you notify Carnival, you will be charged a cancellation fee. If you no-show, you will not be charged a cancellation fee. I have personal experience with this, and that is the best approach. Your DH can simply stay in the cabin you already have booked for the 2 of you.

Thanks.

Buy the insurance TODAY. A few months could be May or June. Even though the insurance will have a pre-existing condition limit, his doctor could complete the paperwork saying the diagnosis was a few months, not a few weeks if, God forbid, he were to pass right before the cruise.

Buy the insurance TODAY. A few months could be May or June. Even though the insurance will have a pre-existing condition limit, his doctor could complete the paperwork saying the diagnosis was a few months, not a few weeks if, God forbid, he were to pass right before the cruise.

poor advice

poor advice

Whatever.

My brother and sister-in-law had to cancel their trip the week after my MIL passed away. The hospice doctor completed the paperwork and they were able to get their money back, despite her having the diagnosis before they purchased the insurance.

I agree with Bizeemom4, get the insurance if you still can. If you can't and you know you can't make it DO NOT call Carnival as they will charge you a fee. Just have your husband explain at the pier and no fee will be charged. Sorry to hear about you dad. Good luck to you.

Sory for the bad news.But just because doctors say a few months,doesn't mean so.Two people close to me were given 6 months to live.One lived a good life for 3 years and the other a good life for 4 years.Doctors give time frames within their experience but they don't make the final judgement only God does.

Laura

Thanks all. From what I see, I'm past buying insurance.

We sail in April and I paid in full Jan 27th. From what I see, for pre existing conditions to be covered, you have to pay buy the insurance within 15 days of payment.

I am very sorry about your father's illness. I agree with the other posters, do not tell Carnival in advance. Just don't show up. Your husband and children should definitely go. Actually, if you talked to your dad, I bet he'd tell you to go as well. Nothing will change with you staying home. I know you'd be sad, but what better way to relax and heal than being on a cruise.

Check out Allianz America for trip insurance ...we just booked a cruise for spring break...and paid in full...see what their policies say...it may be better than the cruise lines insurance...in fact I rarely buy through the cruise line for insurance. I know our policy covers death of family member and serious illness. Sorry to hear about your dad.

So sorry about your Dad! I'm thinking you can still buy trip insurance. The way it was explained to me, the pre-existing condition clause applies to the individuals going on the trip, not family members who will not be traveling.

Isn't that insurance fraud? And illegal?

Sory for the bad news.But just because doctors say a few months,doesn't mean so.Two people close to me were given 6 months to live.One lived a good life for 3 years and the other a good life for 4 years.Doctors give time frames within their experience but they don't make the final judgement only God does.

Laura

I totally agree!

Sorry to hear about your dad, I hope the doctor is wrong...it happens.

First, sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis. Losing a parent is never easy.

According to my Carnival PVP who I have used a few times and love! He is extremely knowledgeable. You can actually purchase the insurance through Carnival up until 2 weeks before your sail date...so, if your not going until the middle of April you should have more than enough time to purchase the insurance.

Buy insurance now. Pre existing conditions only apply to those traveling not to their non traveling immediate relatives.

If your immediate relative is near death or has died you will be covered

Buy the insurance and do it online. The doctors have been wrong in the past and your sister may be overly dramatic

I certainly sympathize with you and wish you luck and while your parent is very ill nobody can predict time of death in advance.

If you choose not to go and to stay with your parent that is understandable and if you buy insurance and death is imminent the note from your dr should suffice for refund

Pre existing only applies to the traveling parties.

How could one know of a relatives pre existing condition?or even be expected to know? My immediate relatives would probably not burden me with too much info.