Your Thoughts on Your Time Dining Tipping

Tutontow

I know Carnival recommends $5.80 per day for dining. My thoughts are this, and believe me my wife and I tip and tip well for great service.

Let's say we eat in the steakhouse, If you don't eat in the main dining room why should you tip the dining room staff?

If you do your time dining and get a different server every night and one is outstanding one night and the next they are horrible wouldn't it be better to hand your server the tip face to face. For great service I would have no problem handing he or she $20.00. If they ruined my meal with lousy service I have no problem handing them $2.00.

Like I said my wife and I will tip and tip well for great service. We have literally tipped 30 to 40 percent more than once for stellar service.

On a side note on our last cruise I gave the cabin steward $20.00 up front to keep me stocked with ice. That went just so so. Also upon arrival to our cabin my wife questioned why we had received some of our luggage and then an hour later we were still missing some pieces. He replied to her with a sarcastic, condescending answer. Needless to say that affected his tip at the end.

Your thoughts please.

Edited by Tutontow

My thoughts? You're on vacation. Give the darn tips the cruise line recommends and then tip others over when they go above and beyond and stop wasting time while on your $$$$ vacation on what amounts to a few dollars. And FFS please stop posting about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by irishnyc

If you have anytime dinning and have a waiter you like you can request to be seated in their area every night. On our last cruise we had a great waiter the 1st night and sat in his area every night

I prepay my tips and only give additional dollars IF I receive superb service where I feel they went above and beyond what is expected. For Anytime Dining, I've never had a server who went out of their way for our table. If they had, I would have given them an additional tip at the end of the meal.

In my opinion, by making an auto grat situation and giving the option of pre-pay. Carnival has now created a s situation whereby they are responsible to get the tips to the right person. My hands are washed of it.

I can tip more if I choose. But I am under no obligation to do more, because the rate and procedure has been taken up by the company.

Do I agree with this? Not the issue.

If you have anytime dinning and have a waiter you like you can request to be seated in their area every night. On our last cruise we had a great waiter the 1st night and sat in his area every night

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I think you will find that the majority of cruisers have no problem with paying the prepaid gratuities, without worrying about who gets what. If you feel that a certain staff member has gone above and beyond their normal duties to provide you with excellent service, then it's up to you decide how much extra you want to tip that person. On the other hand, if you feel that a certain staff member has not provided you with good service, then register a complaint with Guest Services, but leave the auto-tip alone. Pre-paying your room steward (or anyone else) with extra cash in advance does not necessarily guarantee that you will receive anything extra special during the course of your cruise. Bear in mind that the room stewards, along with everyone else, work long hours, and have a lot of responsibilities. While I'm sure your cabin steward appreciated the extra $20.00 up front, you were not the only guest that he had to take care of. Common courtesy, such as a friendly smile, addressing the room steward by name, and "please" and "thank-you" go a long way too.

while there is debate about this, I believe if you give the waiter a tip (and you dont have auto gratuity) he/she has to pool it and it goes to all anyway. I dont think he/she just pockets it.

There has been discussion both ways on this but if its true, you tipping high on one and low on another would not be effective to what you want

I would just leave the auto gratuity on and give extra to those that deserve it and if you had awful service for most or all of the trip, you can go to guest services to adjust or remove a portion of the tips

After reading more about the working conditions on the ship I think I will just let Carnival distribute my auto tips as they see fit. If someone goes above and beyond I will just slip them some extra cash. As someone mentioned above it is just one less thing for me to deal with.

For all of you that have heartburn with my post....take some Tums I am sorry I am not as well versed in cruising and Cruise Critic as you (sarcasm).

I know Carnival recommends $5.80 per day for dining. My thoughts are this, and believe me my wife and I tip and tip well for great service.

Let's say we eat in the steakhouse, If you don't eat in the main dining room why should you tip the dining room staff?

If you do your time dining and get a different server every night and one is outstanding one night and the next they are horrible wouldn't it be better to hand your server the tip face to face. For great service I would have no problem handing he or she $20.00. If they ruined my meal with lousy service I have no problem handing them $2.00.

Like I said my wife and I will tip and tip well for great service. We have literally tipped 30 to 40 percent more than once for stellar service.

On a side note on our last cruise I gave the cabin steward $20.00 up front to keep me stocked with ice. That went just so so. Also upon arrival to our cabin my wife questioned why we had received some of our luggage and then an hour later we were still missing some pieces. He replied to her with a sarcastic, condescending answer. Needless to say that affected his tip at the end.

Your thoughts please.

I keep a spread sheet on my tablet for which dining room i ate it, servers names,how their service was and table number,as well as which meal it was, ie:breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Then during the last sea day I go to guest services,remove my tips and get large bills, changed into small bills.

We then proceed to the various dining areas looking for each server and giving them their calculated tip.

Bill

I

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

I keep a spread sheet on my tablet for which dining room i ate it, servers names,how their service was and table number,as well as which meal it was, ie:breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Then during the last sea day I go to guest services,remove my tips and get large bills, changed into small bills.

We then proceed to the various dining areas looking for each server and giving them their calculated tip.

Bill

I

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Wow, that is a lot of work at the end of a relaxing cruise. Different strokes I guess. :rolleyes::D