iPhone use on cruise

Sonatina1990

We leave in a week. Yeah so excited!!! I see people texting each other on cruises. Maybe a stupid question not a tech-wiz but can you use the wifi on the ship to text each other? If so how much is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, no and don't do it. It all depends.

Normal texting at sea will cost per text. Even if you have unlimited. The newer ships have iconcierge app that uses onboard wifi to text others that have the same app.

We leave in a week. Yeah so excited!!! I see people texting each other on cruises. Maybe a stupid question not a tech-wiz but can you use the wifi on the ship to text each other? If so how much is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure how much normal texting is.

If you have seem people texting each other on the Epic, Breakaway or Getaway then they were quite likely using the iConcierge App. It's free to download and there is an charge that you pay to allow texting (about $7 or $8 I think). After that, all texts are free. You can also make calls I believe. This is all done over the ships wifi and you can only call or text other people who have paid the setup charge.

Make sure you go to settings and put your iphone on airplane mode, or you will come home a one nasty bill!!!

If you do that, you will not get phone calls. You will not get texts.

We leave ours on fulltime. That will not work for everyone, but it is okay for us. A handful of calls at $2.50 per minute. A few texts at $.50. We are okay.

We leave ours on fulltime. That will not work for everyone, but it is okay for us. A handful of calls at $2.50 per minute. A few texts at $.50. We are okay.

Yes, it's restricted to the ship's iconcierge only. I'm sure it's fine for adults ... I can't imagine the bill I'd get from my teen's phone though!! :eek:

Also, don't you pay roaming or data if it's on full time? I was under the impression I had to switch it to airplane mode to avoid the data and roaming charges.

Is it the normal text charge or extra because you are roaming?

My understanding is that you are out of reach of any land based towers so you wouldn't be roaming. Well that is unless you are near a port which I totally understand roaming would come into play. So using the wifi on the boat would the iPhone be like using wifi on land. Sign in and text. So do you just get the iconcierge and text with the iPhone? I know iPhones are free texting to iPhone over wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My understanding is that you are out of reach of any land based towers so you wouldn't be roaming. Well that is unless you are near a port which I totally understand roaming would come into play. So using the wifi on the boat would the iPhone be like using wifi on land. Sign in and text. So do you just get the iconcierge and text with the iPhone? I know iPhones are free texting to iPhone over wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, if you make calls or texts using the ships antenna then you will be roaming. It is treated the same way as if you were in another country and you will pay whatever the people who provide NCLs coverage charge.

If the ship has iconcierge then this is a totally different thing. You call and text using the app, not your phones calling and messaging systems. You can only call or text others on the ship who are using it and have paid the setup.

If you are on the star then your only option for calls or texting whilst sailing will be the ships antenna and it will cost you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree - you are always roaming when not using your own providers signal.

The cost would also vary depending upon your provider. Check out their website.

Vodafone in the UK is at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/travelling-abroad/index.htm for example.

The cost for us on a cruse-ship is not that bad - well within reason! Texts cost the same as say in the USA and calls are only 30p a minute more than the USA.

Under EU law we have a cap on our plans inside Europe and am pretty sure there is also a cap outside of Europe. Similar capping might apply to your provider - but get all the facts before you set sail :)

On your Iphone go to Settings>Cellular> Turn Off Cellular Data>Leave Voice Roaming on and you will be able to send text messages for 50 cents each and I believe incoming messages are 20 cents each. If you get a phone call don't answer and there won't be a charge. If you do you will be on the ship's satellite and you will pay $2.49 a minute. It is the same if you call out. There will be no data charges doing this. Just did this on the Sun and there were minimal text charges, no phone charges and no data charges.

On your Iphone go to Settings>Cellular> Turn Off Cellular Data>Leave Voice Roaming on and you will be able to send text messages for 50 cents each and I believe incoming messages are 20 cents each. If you get a phone call don't answer and there won't be a charge. If you do you will be on the ship's satellite and you will pay $2.49 a minute. It is the same if you call out. There will be no data charges doing this. Just did this on the Sun and there were minimal text charges, no phone charges and no data charges.

Excellent! Thank you!

be able to send text messages for 50 cents each and I believe incoming messages are 20 cents each

For Verizon it's 50 send/5 receive

However, if you're using imessage, you will receive no messages with the data off...

...The cost for us on a cruse-ship is not that bad - well within reason! Texts cost the same as say in the USA and calls are only 30p a minute more than the USA...

Misleading information above.

(the information may be correct for UK residents)

Most folks in the U.S. have unlimited text plans, meaning they are "free" or included in their monthly plan. Texts on the ship are extra.

Edited by garycarla