Tracy Arm Fjord (Sawyer Glacier) ? Side of ship

Karysa

We loved our day in Tracy Arm. It's gorgeous.

We were port side but it really didn't matter as the Captain turned the boat 360 degrees to be sure everyone got good views.

We loved our day in Tracy Arm. It's gorgeous.

We were port side but it really didn't matter as the Captain turned the boat 360 degrees to be sure everyone got good views.

Thanks. We will definitly get up to the top but we start cruising in Tracy Arm at 6 am so we would like to be on the balcony for at least the first cup of coffee.:) The location of the cabin that we liked best was on the port side so we just booked that one 5 minutes ago.:)

Thanks. We will definitly get up to the top but we start cruising in Tracy Arm at 6 am so we would like to be on the balcony for at least the first cup of coffee.:) The location of the cabin that we liked best was on the port side so we just booked that one 5 minutes ago.:)

Hope you get lucky with the weather and have a wonderful day there.

What month are you sailing? Sometimes there is too much ice early in the season and the ships cannot go all the way through. We were so lucky our Captain was able to take the ship the whole way.

Fingers crossed for you and all others looking forward to seeing those gorgeous glaciers and the wildllife and the waterfalls....... so beautiful.

We had beautiful weather when we were there in August 2009. We had a mini-suite on the starboard side of the ship and my wife got some great pictures.

The captain sailed up the fjord then when we reached the glacier, the ship stopped for quite a long while so everyone got a good look as the ship faced the glacier. Then the ship turned slowly, and gradually turned all the way around and went back down the glacier.

It was a great experience! You might enjoy seeing the slide show my wife made with the pictures she took for her website. There is background music so you might want to turn up your speakers and then click on the link below.

Alaska Inside Passage

Happy cruising!

I was up and out the INSTANT we got to Tracy Arm. Both sides are beautiful. It is a fjord, you can see scenery on both sides. You will be able to enjoy the view along with your coffee on your balcony.

We parked ourselves out back so we could get 360 views all day (despite sailing with friends who had a suite/huge balcony).... dragged them out there too and they were astonished at how much better the viewing was. The weather was cooperative, warm and sunny. I know we would not have spent all day out there in the rain ;)

You do understand that being a fjord that you'll go out the same way you entered? What you missed on the way in, you'll see on the way out.

We've done a good number of Alaska cruises. Twice (due to family issues) we had balconies. We REALLY didn't use them. Maybe because we started cruising Alaska before ships even offered private balconies, but we know the scenery is wonderful all around the ship. We hated being on our balconies because we felt very limited in seeing what happened to be on 'our' side of the ship. We've been back to Alaska several times since our last verandah. Didn't miss not having one for even an instant.

You do understand that being a fjord that you'll go out the same way you entered? What you missed on the way in, you'll see on the way out.

We've done a good number of Alaska cruises. Twice (due to family issues) we had balconies. We REALLY didn't use them. Maybe because we started cruising Alaska before ships even offered private balconies, but we know the scenery is wonderful all around the ship. We hated being on our balconies because we felt very limited in seeing what happened to be on 'our' side of the ship. We've been back to Alaska several times since our last verandah. Didn't miss not having one for even an instant.

We did not turn. We continued a straight path all the way through.

Captain knew he had to make the choice at a certain point whether he would turn and return the route we came, which often happens but that day the ice did not impede our ability to continue all the way through. It seems you must have had to turn and return the way you came?

That is fairly common depending on how much ice.

Captain knew he had to make the choice at a certain point whether he would turn and return the route we came, which often happens but that day the ice did not impede our ability to continue all the way through. It seems you must have had to turn and return the way you came?

Not sure what you are referring to with "all the way through". I thought the fjord dead-ended at the glaciers, pretty much, and the ships have to return back the way they came.... of course I guess I might be wrong thinking the fjord is a dead end. But would it still be called a fjord if it doesn't dead-end?

Tracy Arm is a fjord. It dead ends at one of the 2 Sawyer Glaciers - the other is to the left as you enter the area. If you saw either glacier you HAD to turn around and come out the way you came in. :eek:

Hope you get lucky with the weather and have a wonderful day there.

What month are you sailing? Sometimes there is too much ice early in the season and the ships cannot go all the way through. We were so lucky our Captain was able to take the ship the whole way.

Fingers crossed for you and all others looking forward to seeing those gorgeous glaciers and the wildllife and the waterfalls....... so beautiful.

We are sailing on Sept 5. On top of the beautiful sights that you mentioned we are really hoping to see the Northern lights.:)

Not sure what you are referring to with "all the way through". I thought the fjord dead-ended at the glaciers, pretty much, and the ships have to return back the way they came.... of course I guess I might be wrong thinking the fjord is a dead end. But would it still be called a fjord if it doesn't dead-end?

You are right, CP. It is a dead end. It is easy enough to check it out on google maps. Unless the ship is amphibious, it has to turn around to leave. I know it did when we were there on the Zuiderdam.

Haha nope this is all knew to me. We got the opportunity to go last night and booked this morning. We really don't know what to expect. I did read a little about the train from Skagway. It's indoors so DH will like that.:D he hates the cold so this could be an interesting cruise!

I am in the process of planning an Alaska cruise and I see that not all ships go to Tracy Arm. It does look like a fjord on the google map I pulled up. But my question is - should I pick a cruise that includes Tracy Arm, or is Glacier Bay better?

Just because you didn't know you departed the fjord the same way you entered, doesn't mean you didn't. :rolleyes:

Here is a map showing the Tracy Arm fjord. Please let us know how your Captain was able to take you on a straight path "all the way through" without turning around.

tracy-arm-endicott-arm-bad-depiction.jpg

I am in the process of planning an Alaska cruise and I see that not all ships go to Tracy Arm. It does look like a fjord on the google map I pulled up. But my question is - should I pick a cruise that includes Tracy Arm' date=' or is Glacier Bay better?[/quote']

The Zuiderdam does both.

By the way, welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises -- on 3 different cruise lines.

We have found that the majority of the cruise lines have the port side of the ship face the glaciers the longest -- including Tracy Arm.

We did not make Tracy Arm several times -- due to ice flows.

Even though your itinerary indicates a 6 AM Tracy Arm -- that is not the time you will actually be there. That is the start of the approach time. It takes several hours to get really near the glacier. The ship moves very slowly. There should be a ranger on board explaining everything.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises -- on 3 different cruise lines.

We have found that the majority of the cruise lines have the port side of the ship face the glaciers the longest -- including Tracy Arm.

We did not make Tracy Arm several times -- due to ice flows.

Even though your itinerary indicates a 6 AM Tracy Arm -- that is not the time you will actually be there. That is the start of the approach time. It takes several hours to get really near the glacier. The ship moves very slowly. There should be a ranger on board explaining everything.

Thanks. Are ice flows more common in the spring months compared to September or could this be an issue any of the cruising months? Is the ranger on the PA system usually?

It isn't just ice that causes the Captain to turn the ship around prior to reaching the Glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm. The last time we were there, we turned around due to the number of seals. There are restrictions as to how close/how many there are before the ship is required to abandon the attempt to reach the glaciers.

Also, Alaska has enacted noise restrictions. During our last time in Tracy Arm they weren't allowed to use the outdoor PA system the vast majority of our time there. Maybe those inside were hearing the Ranger. I don't even know if there was one on board. We were outside enjoying the wonderful views.

Thank you! I see you have 2 cruises coming up on the Zuiderdam' date=' so you must like that ship. I will check into Holland America cruises to Alaska.[/quote']

I really like Hol Am but this year was VERY tempted to go on the Pacific Princess to Alaska. Smaller-than-most-ships, and I'd really like to try a ship that size. Sails from Vancouver.

It isn't just ice that causes the Captain to turn the ship around prior to reaching the Glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm. The last time we were there, we turned around due to the number of seals. There are restrictions as to how close/how many there are before the ship is required to abandon the attempt to reach the glaciers.

Also, Alaska has enacted noise restrictions. During our last time in Tracy Arm they weren't allowed to use the outdoor PA system the vast majority of our time there. Maybe those inside were hearing the Ranger. I don't even know if there was one on board. We were outside enjoying the wonderful views.

When we were in Tracy Arm in 2010, one of the first announcements that was made was that there were only a few areas where announcements could be made. IIRC some of that was due to nesting birds.

I did not hear any additional announcements on my very few trips indoors that day.

I really like Hol Am but this year was VERY tempted to go on the Pacific Princess to Alaska. Smaller-than-most-ships, and I'd really like to try a ship that size. Sails from Vancouver.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at their itineraries. Though I understand that Holland America has smaller ships too. I am checking those itineraries right now as well.

Edited by Marco's Tia

Our first cruise was an Alaskan cruise on the original Prinsendam. She was only 9,000 tons - much smaller than any mainstream cruise ship today. We got into places that that modern ships just can't navigate. We went places we didn't think that ship could fit. It was amazing. The Ocean Princess won't be able to go the route we did then, but you'll likely still be able to see things you can't on the larger ships. The Vancouver sailings have so, SO much better scenery than the Seattle ones anyway.