which areas of London are best if we need public transportation to Dover?

We intend to stay one day in London before our ship departs from Dover. Are there areas of London that would be best to be near the train station or bus station that we would need to get to Dover?

Although we didn't go as far as Dover, we did stay at the Charing Cross Hotel in order to board the train to Sevenoaks for an overnight stay. The location was perfect as we had several tube stations nearby plus the train directly underneath the hotel.

Hope this helps a bit!

Shelly

There are trains to Dover from several London stations, but the fastest and most frequent service is from Charing Cross.

Do you know what the neighborhood is called, or what landmarks are near?

Personally my choice would be Victoria.

Near to Buck House, houses of parliament, london eye, tate galleries etc

Lots of trains from Victoria to dover, and Victoria coach station if u want national express instead of train.

We intend to stay one day in London before our ship departs from Dover. Are there areas of London that would be best to be near the train station or bus station that we would need to get to Dover?

IMO, choosing a hotel based on proximity to a particular train station often is letting the tail wag the dog. Just about any location in central London will have good public transport links (bus, underground) to the major train stations (in your case, Charing Cross or Victoria). Or, you can easily take a cab from your hotel to the station.

Needless to say, your choice of hotel/ location may well depend on your budget.

For what it's worth, my favorite area is Bloomsbury. You might also look at Holborn and/or Victoria.

Do you know what the neighborhood is called, or what landmarks are near?

Charing Cross Station could not be more central - we're talking walking distance to Trafalgar Square, which is the geographical centre of London. Which means it's also rather on the expensive side. Look for Trafalgar/Covent Garden when looking at areas.

As stated, Dover is one of those places that you can get to via direct train from several stations. Two other areas/stations to look at, and which will have many more budget accommodations, are Bloomsbury for St. Pancras and Victoria for, er Victoria. :) Personally, I'm more of a fan of Bloomsbury, but both would work for your purposes.

Both Charing Cross and St. Pancras have hotels right at the station, although of course a bit on the pricey side; however, if you've got Marriott Rewards points to spare, the Renaissance at St. Pancras would be a nice splurge.

Personally my choice would be Victoria.

Near to Buck House, houses of parliament, london eye, tate galleries etc

Lots of trains from Victoria to dover, and Victoria coach station if u want national express instead of train.

Thanks, Victoria is where I was looking. I just wanted to check if maybe there was a better area to check out.

Edited by ontheweb
punctuation