Is it too hot/crowded for Venice/Greece/Turkey/Croatia on July 19-August 2?

allisons

Glad you liked the pictures. If you can survive a MD summer, you will probably be OK in the Med. By the way, DW teaches in Pikesville. Does your family come from NY? Back in the early 60s my Dad's business partner was A. Silverblatt.

Since you liked the 2013 pictures, here's the link to 2012. Early July, yes, hot and crowded.

We looked last night and are thinking about Lisbon to London for 2014.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures

Which school in Pikesville? I went to Solomon Schechter Day School for elementary school (before it was called Krieger and before it had a middle school), Franklin Middle School, and Owings Mills High School. My family is not from New York, they emigrated straight to Baltimore. We don't know any Silverblatt relatives, but who knows, we could be related.

We go in Columbia and also in Olney (Shaare Tefila).

Do you go to Columbia Jewish Center? My best friend's parents and aunt and uncle go to CJC. Shaare Tefilah is nice too. We're thinking of joining Temple Beth Ami in Rockville.

Depends on where in Rockville you are.

I think we're pretty close to Olney. We're near the Shady Grove Metro station and the ICC. Is it Reform, Conservative, or Reconstructionist? After 15 years of marriage and not joining a shul because I want to join Conservative because that's how I was raised, and my husband wanting to join Reform because that's how he was raised, I've finally agreed to join a Reform shul ("temple" (cringe!)).

We used to go to Europe every summer (for about a month) and did this for over 20 years. Sometimes it was too darn hot, but most of the time it was just nice hot summer weather. The hottest areas in the summer seem to be certain cities such as Rome and Athens because of their specific weather patterns. Where Rome can be awful hot and humid, Naples might be hot and pleasant. It is hard to predict.

Hank

We used to go to Europe every summer (for about a month) and did this for over 20 years. Sometimes it was too darn hot, but most of the time it was just nice hot summer weather. The hottest areas in the summer seem to be certain cities such as Rome and Athens because of their specific weather patterns. Where Rome can be awful hot and humid, Naples might be hot and pleasant. It is hard to predict.

Hank

Thank you! That's helpful!

We've been reviewing the 2015 Mediterranean itineraries. We found the perfect itinerary (Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Athens, Santorini, Istanbul, Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Venice). However, it's only offered one time on July 19-August 2. Our plan was to cruise May/June or September/October because of the heat and crowds during July and August. Is it too hot and crowded to even consider this itinerary during this timeframe? Thank you so much!

The weather in Europe can get very hot in August and it's the busiest time for travellers with children which means that everywhere will be very crowded. May is the nicest time for Europe, less crowds, less heat and locals everywhere are nicer, feeling good because it's spring and they haven't been serving tourists all season!

Good luck with your plans.

The weather in Europe can get very hot in August and it's the busiest time for travellers with children which means that everywhere will be very crowded. May is the nicest time for Europe, less crowds, less heat and locals everywhere are nicer, feeling good because it's spring and they haven't been serving tourists all season!

Good luck with your plans.

Thank you! We booked a cruise in May.

Edited by allisons

Absolutely agree about May...especially if you are adding a land trip in Greece or Turkey.

Many small hotels/pensions are just opening in late April/early May. They are anxious for business and have not been worn out by tourists over the past five months.

Our last land trip to Crete was right after Greek Easter. We found a difference in the people between travelling then, and travelling later in the season. And the rates were much better.

Absolutely agree about May...especially if you are adding a land trip in Greece or Turkey.

Many small hotels/pensions are just opening in late April/early May. They are anxious for business and have not been worn out by tourists over the past five months.

Our last land trip to Crete was right after Greek Easter. We found a difference in the people between travelling then, and travelling later in the season. And the rates were much better.

We actually booked the Western Med (Barcelona to Rome) in May. We booked the Eastern Med/Greek Isles (Venice to Istanbul) in late September/early October.

We are actually booked for the Azamara Journey for August 23, 2015 (10 Night Greek Isles To Venice Voyage). We know it would be hot, but this is the best itinerary for us, so we decided to go it.

ATHENS (PIRAEUS), GREECE

EPHESUS (KUSADASI), TURKEY

MYKONOS, GREECE

SANTORINI, GREECE

CHANIA, CRETE, GREECE

KATAKOLON, GREECE

CORFU, GREECE

KOTOR, MONTENEGRO

DUBROVNIK, CROATIA

VENICE, ITALY