NCL-you really let us down!

"JJ"

Guys, spending the morning on hold, again, with NCL. Most of you have been very supportive and I greatly appreciate that! FYI, this aft balcony cabin was specifically booked, cabin # on my original reservation document. Yes they

call it an upgrade to be moved to a mini-suite mid ship, not to us however!

Will let you know an update when I have it. In the meantime, if you have a

reservation, I would indeed try to mark it "do not upgrade", we did not since never in our wildest dreams did we think they would do that without any contact to us.

Thanks for returning and clarifying things. No, I would have never dreamed they would do this without approval either.

Hope you can secure your aft again. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Edited by che5904

Guys, spending the morning on hold, again, with NCL. Most of you have been very supportive and I greatly appreciate that! FYI, this aft balcony cabin was specifically booked, cabin # on my original reservation document. Yes they

call it an upgrade to be moved to a mini-suite mid ship, not to us however!

Will let you know an update when I have it. In the meantime, if you have a

reservation, I would indeed try to mark it "do not upgrade", we did not since never in our wildest dreams did we think they would do that without any contact to us.

Thanks for the update. Now the process makes complete sense because you have in fact been ugraded even though the "higher" cabin isn't considered an upgrade for most of us. So far only times where I've heard about similar thing happening has been where the TA has accepted the upgrade in behalf of the passenger - can't remember this happening with direct bookings.

Hopefully you can get this sorted out - on paper NCL has done nothing wrong but I'd be quite upset too in your situation. :)

I think on certain ships like this, NCL should just do away with the entire mini suite cabin category. I said once before that I can't imagine why anyone would ever pay extra to actually book one, and that they are simply there in order to give people the false impression they've been upgraded.

I think on certain ships like this, NCL should just do away with the entire mini suite cabin category. I said once before that I can't imagine why anyone would ever pay extra to actually book one, and that they are simply there in order to give people the false impression they've been upgraded.

Another option would be to call it something else - like larger balcony stateroom, or superior balcony stateroom. Some people do like the extra room and bathtub. Personally, I have never stayed in one and that's usually because they are in an awful location - right under the pool and buffet deck.

And thanks to the OP for keeping us in tune to what's going on!

Edited by GSLMOM

on paper NCL has done nothing wrong but I'd be quite upset too in your situation. :)

You are right, from the "guest ticket contract". "Upgrades/Errors: Carrier reserves the right to collect the fare in effect for the accommodations selected by the Guest. Carrier shall be entitled to, but not obligated to, upgrade any guest free of charge 03/2014 to higher priced accommodations, at the sole discretion of Carrier."

That really sucks and I would be so ticked, even knowing this is part of the contract. I take a lot of time and energy to pick out the exact cabin I want and pay the difference between that and a GTY for the privilege of doing that. And since I always book a balcony and don't like the location of 90% of the mini-suites on the ships I have cruised, I also would not think this as a upgrade.

Thank goodness we don't hear of this kind of thing often. And I feel really bad for the OP that this has happened to them.

Edited by che5904

Doesn't matter in a case like this. The cabin would most likely still be higher category than regular aft balcony.

You are right, from the "guest ticket contract". "Upgrades/Errors: Carrier reserves the right to collect the fare in effect for the accommodations selected by the Guest. Carrier shall be entitled to, but not obligated to, upgrade any guest free of charge 03/2014 to higher priced accommodations, at the sole discretion of Carrier."

That really sucks and I would be so ticked, even knowing this is part of the contract. I take a lot of time and energy to pick out the exact cabin I want and pay the difference between that and a GTY for the privilege of doing that. And since I always book a balcony and don't like the location of 90% of the mini-suites on the ships I have cruised, I also would not think this as a upgrade.

Thanks goodness we don't hear of this kind of thing often. And I feel really bad for the OP that this has happened to them.

Wow, that's alarming. I also spend a great deal of time and effort selecting a cabin and would not take kindly to my carefully-selected B1 turning into a mini-suite GTY. I am a light sleeper and if the mini were located below the pool deck or the buffet, I would consider the "upgrade" to be a definite downgrade.

If you have a family in there then the extra bit of room and the bath are worth it for the extra cost. We paid about £50 for a mini over a balcony for our upcoming Epic cruise, and for that amount it's worth it.

I have room 13290 on the breakaway I'm oct. with a bumped out bal.. It is me, wife and 2 kids 7,10. It's our 1st cruise if they move us what would they consider a upgrade our pcc thought this room would be great for us... And she has been great thus far... Do they do this often?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have room 13290 on the breakaway I'm oct. with a bumped out bal.. It is me, wife and 2 kids 7,10. It's our 1st cruise if they move us what would they consider a upgrade our pcc thought this room would be great for us... And she has been great thus far... Do they do this often?

That stateroom is a BC, so anything above a BC. BA, BB, B1-4, MA, MB, M1-4. and of course anything higher such as a spa or suites. The OP was from a B1 to an M.

As for the last question. I've been on CC since 2009 and this is the first I've ever heard of this happening with the exception that another poster mentioned. A TA that has accepted an upgrade without the customer's knowledge. But the OP booked direct, so that wasn't why this happened.

Edited by che5904

Thank you for the quick response...lol so pretty much any room is a upgrade... The reason I liked this room is for the extra bal. Space I wonder how much bigger it is compared to a reg. bal.

Thank you for the quick response...lol so pretty much any room is a upgrade... The reason I liked this room is for the extra bal. Space I wonder how much bigger it is compared to a reg. bal.

If you follow this link there are a couple of photos, as comparison. Post #10 & Post #18.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838006

That stateroom is a BC, so anything above a BC. BA, BB, B1-4, MA, MB, M1-4. and of course anything higher such as a spa or suites. The OP was from a B1 to an M.

As for the last question. I've been on CC since 2009 and this is the first I've ever heard of this happening with the exception that another poster mentioned. A TA that has accepted an upgrade without the customer's knowledge. But the OP booked direct, so that wasn't why this happened.

Could be you do not hear about this because most folk's don't complain about a free upgrade.

It was more common with the aft.s back when I booked my first one in 08 they were not favored and classed B. D.

. Only after they gained popularity here on C.C. did NCL reclassify them to B1 and raise the price on them .

Edited by biker@sea

I called NCL to mark my cabin "do not upgrade" and they said they never do this w/out the client's permission. They said they only time this would have happened would be on the Getaway or Breakaway, and that is because the ship was new and they did not have the accurate cabin capacity at the time of booking. As with all things NCL says on the phone, you can take it with a grain of salt ... but it did make sense.

Our dream of sailing the Med from an aft balcony cabin is over! After much research on this board and many others booked almost 1 yr ahead to secure a coveted corner aft balcony, when calling to make final payment yesterday they told us we had been moved to a mid ship balcony! How they can do this after I have the written confirmation with stateroom number? Anyone else have this problem? They told me they would call me back yesterday, did not, I called again today, all rooms are booked; any CC advice? Very sad tonight.:(

Don't think you will get a Cabin Number if it's a GTY.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Don't think you will get a Cabin Number if it's a GTY.

cheers...the Ump...:D

You missed the whole point of this post. They reserved a SPECIFIC cabin, and paid for a specific cabin - NOT a guarantee.

Another option would be to call it something else - like larger balcony stateroom, or superior balcony stateroom. Some people do like the extra room and bathtub. Personally, I have never stayed in one and that's usually because they are in an awful location - right under the pool and buffet deck.

And thanks to the OP for keeping us in tune to what's going on!

They used to call it a deluxe balcony stateroom, which is what they are (more space, more storage, tub, bigger bathroom depending on the ship, etc)

And received an upgrade to a higher level and more expensive cabin.

We understood that, thanks.....LOL

And according to NCL, they are entitled to change ANYONES cabin for a "higher level" or "more expensive" cabin. (If you ask, NCL says that they would never do that without contacting the customer first.)

Unfortunately, many of these "upgrades" aren't really upgrades at all.

I have a balcony cabin, and could have "upgraded" to a mini suite at virtually no cost. Thanks, but my cabin is in a MUCH better location than any of the available mini-suites, so it would be a downgrade for me.

Guys, spending the morning on hold, again, on the phone with NCL. Most of you have been very supportive and I greatly appreciate that! FYI, this aft balcony cabin was specifically booked, cabin # on my original reservation document, not a guarantee to cabin category only. Yes they call it an upgrade to be moved to a mini-suite mid ship, not to us however! Will let you know an update when I have it. In the meantime, if you have a reservation, I would indeed try to mark it "do not upgrade", we did not since never in our wildest dreams did we think they would do that without any contact to us!

So what did NCL say or do?

I called NCL to mark my cabin "do not upgrade" and they said they never do this w/out the client's permission. They said they only time this would have happened would be on the Getaway or Breakaway, and that is because the ship was new and they did not have the accurate cabin capacity at the time of booking. As with all things NCL says on the phone, you can take it with a grain of salt ... but it did make sense.

Ok first off I am a doubtful Nellie when it comes to believing anything that any call center person tells me. However, in this instance I believe them and also believe that this was a fluke and someone goofed big time.

Here is the reason for my belief. When NCL does things that the non-experienced cruiser or non-CC member may be up in arms about, but is quite common like chartering a ship and giving booked passenger basically the boot. The regular CC member feels bad for the booted passenger but basically says "that's the way it is".

No where in this thread did a regular member come on to say "this was common place", "oh yes they've heard this before". Which leads me to believe this is not common practice. As a matter of fact a lot of regulars on here have stated they'd be ticked about it.

And not only that, this makes no sense at all why one passenger would be put out of a cabin they chose for no reason. If it was an HC, ok most would understand why, but it wasn't.

So maybe you did get a truthful answer.

OK, here's the final after 3 separate phone calls just today (note all contacts were initiated by me, no one ever called us back): they did admit that they "sold" the same cabin twice, had "upgraded" us from corner aft balcony to mid ship mini-suite on deck 10 near elevator, the "offer" today was to move us couple of decks up, further from elevator, asked for on board credit... they said no that was all they could do, so we took it. Will be contacting CEO just to voice my opinion. Will enjoy our trip but will probably not book with NCL again. I appreciate all CC's support--you guys are the best!

OK, here's the final after 3 separate phone calls just today (note all contacts were initiated by me, no one ever called us back): they did admit that they "sold" the same cabin twice, had "upgraded" us from corner aft balcony to mid ship mini-suite on deck 10 near elevator, the "offer" today was to move us couple of decks up, further from elevator, asked for on board credit... they said no that was all they could do, so we took it. Will be contacting CEO just to voice my opinion. Will enjoy our trip but will probably not book with NCL again. I appreciate all CC's support--you guys are the best!

Thanks for the update. Where you the second party that booked this cabin or the first? If I had been booked first, I think I would have stated that they need to move the others and not me.

OP booked over a year ago so they were the first to book IMHO. I would not have settled for anything less than a corner B1 on a suitable deck or a full suite. They should have taken care of it without all the phone calls the OP had to make and they should have made sure she/he is happy with the end result. IT WAS NCL's FAULT not the OP's.