.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Just got off Hebridean Princess to the tragic news about Brussels, coupled with what I think may be a bout with Norovirus.

We had a mostly fantastic cruise, though, and when we get back to Germany on Sunday, I will blog about the trip. Now I might be ready for my next SD cruise!

Get well soon.

Please tell us where your HP blog will be.

Hum would be fascinated as Hum is sure many would be.

If you click my name, you will find the link. But I don't plan to write any substantial posts until I get to my computer. I have a lot to say.

I do feel better now than I did this morning. Had a miserable drive from Oban and instead of going to Stoke, am now stuck in Glasgow for a night of rest.

If you click my name, you will find the link. But I don't plan to write any substantial posts until I get to my computer. I have a lot to say.

I do feel better now than I did this morning. Had a miserable drive from Oban and instead of going to Stoke, am now stuck in Glasgow for a night of rest.

Sorry knotsheadusc but what is special about Stoke ?

Please let us know when it's ready (the blog).

We only planned to go there because I want to see Avenue Q. That's where the show is playing this week. My husband is going to drive on the left for the first time in his life, so tomorrow should be fun, too.

And was the suspected norovirus from the Hebridean ?

That's the last question....honestly.

Correction: they "had" .........

It's an awful dump....was back then and certainly is now.

Yes, very industrial in a Dickens way. My Grandparents (Maternal) lived in SOT most of their lives, moving after retirement out to an Uncle's farm in Shropshire. When I was a lad, I assumed all the buildings were built of black stone. Not until I was a teenager and one of the churches were the first buildings cleaned did I understand that a great deal of the older buildings were similar to Cotswold stone and red brick. Again, as a lad, I was taken on tour through all the old Potters. Way back Me Mum worked at Doultons. Scattered through the family are lots of examples of the old Staffordshire pottery.

Amen. We refuse to be terrorized. Our travel plans will not change. Our lives will continue.

Amen. We leave on April 2nd for a Netherlands/Belgium "river" cruise. There's not even a named river, just "waterways".

My son received an email from a colleague who is cancelling travel to Brussels airport "indefinitely". My son changed the subject line of the email, when forwarding it (denuded of any identifying markings)

Terrorists 1, Rest of the World 0

I will try very hard not to contribute to the furthering of that score.

And amen to most heart-felt thoughts and prayers going to the victims and their loved ones.

And was the suspected norovirus from the Hebridean ?

That's the last question....honestly.

I did not notice anyone else sick like me, but I also quarantined myself yesterday morning when we disembarked. I have read that norovirus is very common in Britain and we spent the week touring whisky distilleries where glasses were shared on occasion (tasting worts). I could have easily gotten sick off the boat.

The cruise was overall excellent, though one woman did have to be evacuated the last night because she fell on some stairs and might have broken her wrist.

I feel better today. My body is sore, but the puking has stopped. :)

We are going to try to drive to the dump today. Glad I invested in travel insurance this time.

Edited by knotheadusc

I have read that norovirus is very common in Britain and we spent the week touring whisky distilleries

Oh yes Britain is riddled with the "Norovirus" especially at whisky tastings, pubs, wine bars...... must be the sharing of glasses !

When will we ever learn ?

And that "Black Death" !

Oooooh that was a nasty.

And just as we got over that there was "The Plague"

All due to glass sharing (whilst drinking copious amounts of alcohol).

That's probably why you see so many hardened drinkers on the street, drink straight from the bottle (to avoid the use of glasses) or can but even they are not immune, Hum sees them swaying about, shouting loudly in a garbled manner and curiously they are always pointing....what at, is not clear.

Well glad you are "on the mend".

Enjoy the theatre.

Dont wander around at night in SoT.

Yes, very industrial in a Dickens way. My Grandparents (Maternal) lived in SOT most of their lives, moving after retirement out to an Uncle's farm in Shropshire. When I was a lad, I assumed all the buildings were built of black stone. Not until I was a teenager and one of the churches were the first buildings cleaned did I understand that a great deal of the older buildings were similar to Cotswold stone and red brick. Again, as a lad, I was taken on tour through all the old Potters. Way back Me Mum worked at Doultons. Scattered through the family are lots of examples of the old Staffordshire pottery.

Oooops !!!!

Sorry Jim.

You see that's why Hum asked knotsheadusc why she was going to SoT. If SHE had relatives there, Hum did'nt want to be rude about the place.

Hum thought he had earlier identified your "family" home in the "old country" so Hum was a little shocked some part of your family came from the "Potteries".

But seriously "Industrialisation" had a down side.

The conditions and poverty were dreadful and whilst creating beautiful works.

After production left the area to cheaper countries, the "Potteries" have struggled.

Hum has attached a famous TV documentary on the area.

It may have been made just before the time of your grandmother.

[YOUTUBE]ee3tPLgQ9Qw[/YOUTUBE]

Amen. We leave on April 2nd for a Netherlands/Belgium "river" cruise. There's not even a named river, just "waterways".

My son received an email from a colleague who is cancelling travel to Brussels airport "indefinitely". My son changed the subject line of the email, when forwarding it (denuded of any identifying markings)

Terrorists 1, Rest of the World 0

I will try very hard not to contribute to the furthering of that score.

And amen to most heart-felt thoughts and prayers going to the victims and their loved ones.

You reminded Hum to fully endorse TrapperZ's original comment about not submitting to terrorism.

Hum felt the best thing the Belgian government can do is to "get back to normal" as soon as possible.

But ....... ahhh the Belgian authorities ...... Hum will leave it there.

The French handling after the bombing was also very poor......well intentioned not to have public gatherings but "the people" wanted to demonstrate their solidarity that the French way of life must continue whatever terrorist attrocity (but being vigilant).

The Brits are a little more experienced after years of the IRA.

Now they really did know about explosives and they had access to the best/worst (Semtex).

Hum does'nt want to make things worse but curtailing travelling to a country is a personal decision and one that must be respected but avoiding mainland Europe is probably a tad too much yet if Hum had children and relatives and was responsible for them then it may be a different matter.

But Hum applauds your continuation to visit these amazing countris where there is a special affection for Americans due to the sacrifices made in the liberation of their country.

Did any of you receive the Scenic Eclipse brochure?

Yes. Just went onto their website and ordered a copy.

One of the best brochures, Hum has seen.

Hey Jim, how did you see the video ?

Oh yes Britain is riddled with the "Norovirus" especially at whisky tastings, pubs, wine bars...... must be the sharing of glasses !

When will we ever learn ?

And that "Black Death" !

Oooooh that was a nasty.

And just as we got over that there was "The Plague"

All due to glass sharing (whilst drinking copious amounts of alcohol).

That's probably why you see so many hardened drinkers on the street, drink straight from the bottle (to avoid the use of glasses) or can but even they are not immune, Hum sees them swaying about, shouting loudly in a garbled manner and curiously they are always pointing....what at, is not clear.

Well glad you are "on the mend".

Enjoy the theatre.

Dont wander around at night in SoT.

The NHS Web sites all mention the "winter vomiting bug" being very prevalent in the UK. And while we did mostly have our own glasses for a wee dram, there was one instance when we didn't. In retrospect, it was a dumb decision on my part to taste the wort, which was gross anyway.

Anyway, I doubt it was due to the ship's hygiene. ;)

You reminded Hum to fully endorse TrapperZ's original comment about not submitting to terrorism.

Hum felt the best thing the Belgian government can do is to "get back to normal" as soon as possible.

But ....... ahhh the Belgian authorities ...... Hum will leave it there.

The French handling after the bombing was also very poor......well intentioned not to have public gatherings but "the people" wanted to demonstrate their solidarity that the French way of life must continue whatever terrorist attrocity (but being vigilant).

The Brits are a little more experienced after years of the IRA.

Now they really did know about explosives and they had access to the best/worst (Semtex).

Hum does'nt want to make things worse but curtailing travelling to a country is a personal decision and one that must be respected but avoiding mainland Europe is probably a tad too much yet if Hum had children and relatives and was responsible for them then it may be a different matter.

But Hum applauds your continuation to visit these amazing countris where there is a special affection for Americans due to the sacrifices made in the liberation of their country.

Yes. Just went onto their website and ordered a copy.

One of the best brochures, Hum has seen.

Hey Jim, how did you see the video ?

A link on the Scenic Ocean website. Nicely done. I can visualize You and I and a Big Roll Tide! right at the virtual bar...:D

The NHS Web sites all mention the "winter vomiting bug" being very prevalent in the UK. And while we did mostly have our own glasses for a wee dram, there was one instance when we didn't. In retrospect, it was a dumb decision on my part to taste the wort, which was gross anyway.

Anyway, I doubt it was due to the ship's hygiene. ;)

Oh Gawd, Hum now has that "sinking feeling" and we were getting along so well.

Hum has the recurrent thought "why did Hum ever ask"

But here goes.

The NHS advise the "norovirus" is Britain's most common bug ...... because the NHS website is referring to Britain.

If you read the German or American health websites, it would say the same thing about norovirus being the most common in their respective countries too.

If Britain were the epi-centre of "norovirus" in the world, other countries would ban all Britains from travelling.

It Aint the ruddy glass darling.

Alcohol at that proof is a steriliser so the glass ain't the issue.

In old London town it was the water they could'nt get clean. So mothers breastfeeding their young would drink gin instead. Alcohol would'nt pass on all the nasties to the kids unfortunately they forget the kids whilst blind drunk.

Hence the term "Mother's ruin".

Hogarth created a famous lithograph.

Dont look if you are offended by nudity.

Are you used to drinking 40% alcohol on a regular basis ?

If not, consult the NHS website on "alcohol poisoning" remarkably similar symptoms.

NHS Quote

"You should also avoid*binge drinking*as it's dangerous and puts you at risk of alcohol poisoning"

Err.......swop "binge drinking" for drinking a lot (of wee drams) of high proof whisky which you are probably not used too and possibly on an empty stomach.

Case closed (please).

image_zpswchz0vrc.jpeg

Gcmv can only speak for himself: He wanted to get on this yacht as soon as possible meeting all these lovely, charming, striking, open-minded, adorable (and champagne dependent people) ... :D

Meeting ho-hum and blondie was a "hole-in-one" and exceeded all expectations! ;)

Sie sind so freundlich GCMV .

Hum und Blondie lieben das deutsche Volk aber unser Herz in Heidelberg .

You are so kind GCMV.

Hum and Blondie love the German people but our heart is somewhere in Heidelberg.

Oh Gawd, Hum now has that "sinking feeling" and we were getting along so well.

Hum has the recurrent thought "why did Hum ever ask"

But here goes.

The NHS advise the "norovirus" is Britain's most common bug ...... because the NHS website is referring to Britain.

If you read the German or American health websites, it would say the same thing about norovirus being the most common in their respective countries too.

If Britain were the epi-centre of "norovirus" in the world, other countries would ban all Britains from travelling.

It Aint the ruddy glass darling.

Alcohol at that proof is a steriliser so the glass ain't the issue.

In old London town it was the water they could'nt get clean. So mothers breastfeeding their young would drink gin instead. Alcohol would'nt pass on all the nasties to the kids unfortunately they forget the kids whilst blind drunk.

Hence the term "Mother's ruin".

Hogarth created a famous lithograph.

Dont look if you are offended by nudity.

Are you used to drinking 40% alcohol on a regular basis ?

If not, consult the NHS website on "alcohol poisoning" remarkably similar symptoms.

NHS Quote

"You should also avoid*binge drinking*as it's dangerous and puts you at risk of alcohol poisoning"

Err.......swop "binge drinking" for drinking a lot (of wee drams) of high proof whisky which you are probably not used too and possibly on an empty stomach.

Case closed (please).

image_zpswchz0vrc.jpeg

I wasn't busting on Great Britain. I am well aware of how common norovirus is worldwide. I was simply trying to say that I could have picked up the bug anywhere-- on the ship, at a distillery, in a public toilet, or a cafe-- and I don't necessarily think I got sick because of the ship being a hotbed of germs. I think you read more into it than was intended.

As for binge drinking, I assure you I am very well practiced in that art. My sickness was definitely not caused by alcohol poisoning. I had/have a bug of some sort. Besides being an experienced drinker, I also have a master's degree in public health. And just so you know, alcohol doesn't kill norovirus.

Case closed.

Edited by knotheadusc

I wasn't busting on Great Britain. I am well aware of how common norovirus is worldwide. I was simply trying to say that I could have picked up the bug anywhere-- on the ship, at a distillery, in a public toilet, or a cafe-- and I don't necessarily think I got sick because of the ship being a hotbed of germs. I think you read more into it than was intended.

As for binge drinking, I assure you I am very well practiced in that art. My sickness was definitely not caused by alcohol poisoning. I had/have a bug of some sort. Besides being an experienced drinker, I also have a master's degree in public health. And just so you know, alcohol doesn't kill norovirus.

Case closed.

So to summarise, you picked up a bug (from where you know not) and was ill but are now better.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by ho-hum