Queen Elizabeth or QM2?

babs135

We are looking at a couple of cruises and can't decide on which, so hoping for some help and advice please :)

First on is on the QM2 (which we have sailed on before) to New York with 4 nights in NY. This will mean Christmas in NY which, while it certainly appeals, slightly worries me about the extra cost of dining out over the holiday period, plus finding lots of things to do.

Second one is on the Queen Elizabeth with just 3 nights in NY (first leg of her world cruise). Not sailed on her before so that would be an experience, plus hubby says with only 3 nights I can't do as much damage to his wallet :D This should also be a little cheaper (very subjective!!!) as the cost of dining out should correspondingly be less.

Being serious for a moment, 3 or 4 nights doesn't bother me, I'm just looking for advice from someone who has perhaps been on both ships and feels one outweighs the other, or can give me their opinion as to which they would choose.

We are looking at a couple of cruises and can't decide on which, so hoping for some help and advice please :)

First on is on the QM2 (which we have sailed on before) to New York with 4 nights in NY. This will mean Christmas in NY which, while it certainly appeals, slightly worries me about the extra cost of dining out over the holiday period, plus finding lots of things to do.

Second one is on the Queen Elizabeth with just 3 nights in NY (first leg of her world cruise). Not sailed on her before so that would be an experience, plus hubby says with only 3 nights I can't do as much damage to his wallet :D This should also be a little cheaper (very subjective!!!) as the cost of dining out should correspondingly be less.

Being serious for a moment, 3 or 4 nights doesn't bother me, I'm just looking for advice from someone who has perhaps been on both ships and feels one outweighs the other, or can give me their opinion as to which they would choose.

I've been on and like both ships, but given the choice for a transatlantic crossing I would choose QM2 every day. QE is a nice cruise ship but QM2 is a majestic liner. There are reasonably priced restaurants in New York as well :)

Having been on the QM2 several times and once on the QE, I agree with capnpugwash. The QM2 is by far the most stable ship I have been on. Cunard's president at the time, Peter Shanks, was delivering a talk on board the QM2 a few years ago. The ship was handling the 12-foot swells with ease. You would think we weren't moving at all, even in the fairly forward Illuminations theatre. Mr Shanks indicated that if we were not aboard this liner but on board the Queen Victoria (the QE was still under construction at the time) we would really feel it.

There are many aspects of the design of the QE that I think are superior to the QM2: the theatre which, as many say, is as attractive as a West End theatre; the two-deck library and the location and design of the Grills restaurants, lounge and deck space. The QE's Princess Grill staterooms, however, are not as well laid out as those on the QM2. All of this is a matter of personal taste, of course.

For a crossing I would always choose the QM2 and for a cruise I would take the QE.

.....There are many aspects of the design of the QE that I think are superior to the QM2: the theatre which, as many say, is as attractive as a West End theatre; the two-deck library and the location and design of the Grills restaurants, lounge and deck space. The QE's Princess Grill staterooms, however, are not as well laid out as those on the QM2. All of this is a matter of personal taste, of course.

For a crossing I would always choose the QM2 and for a cruise I would take the QE.

Valid comments and good advice.

We have sailed on the QM2 60-some days and she is, hands-down, our favorite ship.

Then, we tried the QE a year ago and she also endeared herself to us (aided, no doubt, by 36 fabulous days in the south Pacific). Wonderful staff and crew! Great ship in her class.

That said, given the choice, I would always choose to cross the Atlanta on the Queen Mary 2---partly because of stability (as mentioned by others on this thread) but also because we love her size, layout, public rooms, deck (and on and on). We also love her quirks (e.g. seats in the theater, located directly behind pillars).

If skipping a night in NYC would make a significant difference to you, sailing on the Queen Elizabeth would hardly be a hardship. Otherwise, sail on the Queen Mary 2.

I've cruised in both ships; crossed the Atlantic in both ships. I really like both ships. I like heavy weather, lot's of folks don't. Had very heavy weather on QE on the Atlantic, it was quite a ride! Having Commodore Warwick and his wife aboard was reassuring-even as huge waves crashed against the restaurant windows where they were sitting in a Force 11 gale! All ships move but of all on which I've crossed, QM2 is the best in winter storms-besides you'll want 4 days here at Christmas; and we have very good restaurants that don't cost your pension. BON VOYAGE!;)

That's an easy one and it has probably been said before (I have not read all of the posts). I have crossed the North Atlantic with several ships, but there is only one ship who does it best, and this is QM2!

:)

Thanks everyone. Decision made, it's the Queen Mary and we booked this morning. New York here we come, but please no polar vortex!!
Congratulations and bon voyage! Wait a while though before starting a "What should we see in NYC at Christmastime?" thread (we natives will have lots to suggest).

Thanks everyone. Decision made, it's the Queen Mary and we booked this morning. New York here we come, but please no polar vortex!!

I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time. QM2 followed by Christmas in New York City is a wonderful combination.