Marina Room 9145 movement

Jetpuffed

My TA chose this room for us on our Jan 15 Polynesia trip, and I'd like to ask about movement this far back in the boat.

I usually choose a room in the middle of the boat.

Will there be significant rocking this far back?

It is labeled a PH3 cabin.

Thank you!

Marina+2011-06-23+6.jpg

The newer, larger Oceania ships are very well stabilized, and we didn't find the motion at the back of the ship to be significantly different from what we could feel in a mid-ship cabin on the Marina and Riviera, but you will notice the engine vibrations more distinctly.

000202.jpg

When the thrusters are in use, the entire ship can hear and feel it, but the bow and/or stern get the brunt of it. Fortunately, they use the thrusters very sparingly. Maybe five or ten minutes as the ship enters or leaves a landing stage, and they are only necessary in some Ports .

125800.jpgEnjoy your Suite!

Edited by JimandStan

4 weeks from tomorrow! When we booked we had a choice of very forward PH3s or this one. We are on a Transatlantic on Riviera.

We sailed in the very aft cabin(looked at the wake) on Nautica for our last cruise, and I don't remember any movement and very little vibration, certainly not enough to bother us.

Also taking this cabin, I'm really hoping to meet the neighbours!

We have been allocated similar cabin on the Riviera in July. I asked on the thread for comments regarding position of cabin and received very positive feedback . Nobody had any problems and were full of praise for location . Next to owners Suite so you have top Butler.

We have been allocated similar cabin on the Riviera in July. I asked on the thread for comments regarding position of cabin and received very positive feedback . Nobody had any problems and were full of praise for location . Next to owners Suite so you have top Butler.

It was our experience on our recent Riviera cruise that 3 rooms in a row might have 3 different Butlers, strange but true.

Sadly, I had one of those cabins reserved for another cruise but had to cancel the trip -- I was really looking forward to having the great balcony and great, relaxing view of the ship's wake. That being said, please realize that you are in the aft-most cabins. IF the ship is pitching (bow and stern going up and down), notice that I included "stern" in that description, you are going to feel the movement. As for rolling motion, you are no better or worse off than anyone else on that deck.

Of the two types of motion, rolling is by far the most common. Stabilizers do help a little, but they do not and cannot stop all rolling motion. Severe pitching motion is pretty rare, and ships do try to minimize it when possible, though the necessary course and speed to get to the next port may require that they allow more than they like.

As has been stated, you might hear the thrusters going into and out of port, but we have had the fore-most cabin, and the noise from the thrusters and deck hands getting ready for port were an emergency wake up call in case we overslept.

I think that you will look back on this cabin as one of the best you could have. Nothing is perfect, but the advantages will far outweight the disadvantages. This is why the reclassified the similar cabins on deck 7 as PH1s rather than PH3s.

Marina+2011-06-23+6.jpg

The newer, larger Oceania ships are very well stabilized, and we didn't find the motion at the back of the ship to be significantly different from what we could feel in a mid-ship cabin on the Marina and Riviera, but you will notice the engine vibrations more distinctly.

000202.jpg

When the thrusters are in use, the entire ship can hear and feel it, but the bow and/or stern get the brunt of it. Fortunately, they use the thrusters very sparingly. Maybe five or ten minutes as the ship enters or leaves a landing stage, and they are only necessary in some Ports .

125800.jpgEnjoy your Suite!

JimandStan,

Thanks for the picture of the thrusters. If you have pictures of the stabilizers would you please post them? I think I saw them once on Regatta. They looked like surfboards extending from near midship and didn't appear too large. I saw them while leaving port during happy hour so my vision could have been compromised.

Thanks.

THey are small airfoils...wings that can adjust in pitch as the propellers can.

They can be extended or folded into wells in the hull. They have no effect below 15 kts as they require a certain amount of "lift" They are controlled by a gyroscope as to their setting and tend like ailerons to deflect in opposite directions.

They can not be used in waters with debris or ice at they can be torn off.

JimandStan,

Thanks for the picture of the thrusters. If you have pictures of the stabilizers would you please post them? I think I saw them once on Regatta. They looked like surfboards extending from near midship and didn't appear too large. I saw them while leaving port during happy hour so my vision could have been compromised.

Thanks.

Marina-470x352.jpg You can't really see the Stabilizer Fins when the Ship is in dry-dock, because they are delicate pieces of machinery and retract into the hull when they are not being used.

140325.jpg This is the retracted fin from Cunards' current Queen Elizabeth, which was built in the same shipyard as Marina & Riviera.

If you would like to see how the Stabilizers look, and work, when they are deployed, check out the video here:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/blohm-voss-industries/retractable-stabilizers-ship-30804-191090.html