Rome FCO airport to Civitavecchia port

Farrlacey

A little reading on the board reveals a train fare will be around 15 or 20 euros. It is not hard to use the train, if you can haul your bags. Can you manage your bags? You may need to haul them up and down stairs at Civi.

A taxi will be a little over 100 euros.

The train from the airport to the port at Civitavecchia costs 11 Euro per person. The trip takes between 1.5 - 1.75 hours just for the train portion and requires a change of trains at Roma Trastevere. While there are elevators at the tracks at Trastevere, there are none at Civitavecchia so you may need to haul your bags down a flight of stairs and back up the other side.

Once at Civitavecchia it's a half mile walk to the port entrance where you pick up a shuttle bus to your ship.

A taxi direct from the airport to the ship is a fixed fare of 120 Euro. Information on taxis here (page two is in English): https://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resources/cms/documents/tariffario_taxi_luglio_2012.pdf

Euro, is that transfer of trains only from the airport? If I leave from Termini I don't have to transfer, do I? And I get a ticket to Civitavecchia not Civitavecchia Maritima, right?

I always get very nervous when I have a deadline to be somewhere (the ship departs at 4pm). What's the latest I can arrive at the Civitavecchia train station and still have time to get to the port (is a little after 2pm OK?).

Oh, and thanks ahead of time for always being so helpful. I've learned a lot from all your comments on these boards.

Yes, from Termini you don't need to change trains. You also have more options regarding the type of train if you leave from Termini, from the regional trains (5 Euro, one hour to 1:20, depending on the train) to the non-stop Frecciabiana (9 Euro, 40 minutes).

If the ship departs at 4 you probably need to be on board by 2:30, right? I'd aim for getting to the ship by 2 (to be on the safe side), which for me would mean arriving at the train station no later than 1:30 to allow time to get to the port entrance and from the port entrance to the ship.

Weekdays (Mon - Sat) that brings you to a regional train leaving Termini at 12:42 and arriving to Civitavecchia at 2 PM, or a Frecciabianca departing Termini at 11:57 and arriving at 12:39.

The station is Civitavecchia - it's the only one that trains regularly stop at even though the system offers you alternatives.

Personally, with luggage I'd spend the few extra Euro for the Freccia train.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks Euro, I do have the 12:42 down as my last possible train. I'd like the faster train but it's a Wednesday and I really want a chance to see at least part of Pope Francis' audience before I leave Rome. That's the main reason I picked a hotel near Termini so I can get back from the Vatican and grab my luggage and go.

There's no need or reason to purchase your train tickets in advance, so I'd just go with the flow. You may find that the first hour of the audience fills your need and you can still make the Freccia, but you won't know that until you're in the situation.

Thanks Euro, I do have the 12:42 down as my last possible train. I'd like the faster train but it's a Wednesday and I really want a chance to see at least part of Pope Francis' audience before I leave Rome. That's the main reason I picked a hotel near Termini so I can get back from the Vatican and grab my luggage and go.

For your purposes, you could also look at taking the train from San Pietro station - much closer for the Vatican than Termini.

For your purposes, you could also look at taking the train from San Pietro station - much closer for the Vatican than Termini.

Even if I wanted to drag my suitcase and backpack to the Vatican, I don't think they let you in with big bags. It's easier to take the metro back to Termini, grab my bags from the hotel and head back for the train.

But thanks for the suggestion, if I was only doing Rome as a shore excursion that would work.

And Euro, I wasn't planning on buying a ticket ahead of time just for the reason you mentioned.

• 2 months later...
There's no need or reason to purchase your train tickets in advance, so I'd just go with the flow. You may find that the first hour of the audience fills your need and you can still make the Freccia, but you won't know that until you're in the situation.

Just wanted to thank you for your advice about this. I was able to leave my luggage in my room, head to the Vatican at rush hour and wait for the Pope. He spent 30 minutes going all over the piazza greeting people, it was really amazing.

Made it back with plenty of time to catch the express train, which was a pleasure, very uncrowded, no worries about luggage since it was right there.

The walk to the shuttle was long and hot (plus pulling the luggage up and down stairs at the train station) but I knew at the end of it all I'd be unpacking for 11 days. Plus I've dragged my luggage farther and over tougher terrain. At least it wasn't uphill.