Canadian money

boards

Will we be able to use Cdn. money in New Zealand or Australia, or do we have to exchange before we get there? If we have to exchange when we get there, how easy/hard will it be to do so?

No you cannot use canadian money (!!??). any bank will change it for you- I think you get charged more at the suburban banks so I would do it in the cities. I think what is best when travelling is to use your credit card as often as possible. Also my bank has an everyday card which we use at the ATM's and this can be used overseas to withdraw money directly as you do at home- sure yours would be the same. Sue

I was really thinking of whether or not you could bring Canadian money, as opposed to US money to change into your money. We do plan to use our credit card, but do not have an unlimited limit to spend, we will have to bring cash of some kind. I am really liking the thought of using an ATM card, especially with the charges we would incur. To be truthful we have never really used the ATM outside of Canada, so I don't really know what the charges are, but I'm sure there are some. Thank you for your help and advice.

We do plan to use our credit card, but do not have an unlimited limit to spend, we will have to bring cash of some kind.
If you're bringing cash because you haven't got a big enough credit limit on your credit card, how about paying the cash into your credit card account before you go? That way you start off with a credit balance to spend before you start drawing against the credit limit.

I am serious. What I mean is this: If there is a potential problem because your credit card has (say) a $1000 credit limit and you fear that you might run up against that, and you were thinking of bringing (say) $1000 in cash as well because of that, then just pay the $1000 into your credit card account before you go (on top of paying the bills in the normal way). That way, you'll basically start off with $2000 of credit on your credit card, and you can put more on the card that way with all the benefits that has in relation to exchange rates, conversion commission, and convenience.

Globaliser that is a great idea regarding topping up your credit card with cash before you leave. I was having similar problems as Boards. I Am leaving from Sydney next Feb on Aurora visiting several different countries means several different currencies . As this is my first time out of Ausrtalia it was getting somewhat confusing with all the different currencies needed. Your easy solution has made it less of a stress.:)

I am assuming you are using the figure of $1000 as a starting point because $1000 limit certainly is not going to be anywhere near enough for this length of a trip (our limit is already alot higher than that). Thank you, though for the suggestion. I have never heard of such an idea or how a the credit charge company would react to such a transaction. It for sure sounds like a good idea.

Sorry, "$1000" was just an arbitrary figure, plucked out of the air - hence the word "(say)".

I've never encountered a problem with a credit card company when trying to do this, although obviously it's better if you can persuade them to increase your credit limit to what you actually need.

We have friends who only have a $500 limit on their only credit card. They always just keep it topped up with funds in advance.

Another option is what we have - a visa debit card savings account. All our money is in our own bank account but we can still withdraw overseas without a drama (well except when the card expired and we had forgotten the new one).

We have travelled in Asia, Europe and the States and now don't bother taking any foreign currency with us (except leftover from previous trips) and just withdraw cash from an ATM at the airport. I think if we were really unsure of the area we might take some local currency.

• 3 weeks later...

We have just returned from 5 weeks away and I always put money into our Visa card before we leave. We do this, in case some bills arrive while we are away or our card runs over the end of the month.

We always take credit cards, our debit card and some cash. It is handy to have some money of the country you are visiting with you especially if you are using taxis from the airport or from the train station and haven't had time to use an ATM machine.

Jennie

We have just returned from 5 weeks away and I always put money into our Visa card before we leave. We do this, in case some bills arrive while we are away or our card runs over the end of the month.

We always take credit cards, our debit card and some cash. It is handy to have some money of the country you are visiting with you especially if you are using taxis from the airport or from the train station and haven't had time to use an ATM machine.

Jennie

The way we opertar our credit cards which is a great help when travelling is set up an auto payment with our cheque account which pays the credit card off in full each month, again you should be able to set up an auto payment system to float funds into your cheque account from any savings or investments account. This way you avoid credit cards charges, only need to keep a reasonable balance in your cheque account and keep as much as possible in the savings accounts earning YOU interest. I find that whenever we get close to reaching the Credit card limit a nice friendly person at the bank calls me to ask if i want it increased, no doubt in the hope that i will create a huge debt that i cant pay and end up paying them a heap of interest. In 30 years of credit card usage i have never paid a cent in fees. You only need a small amount of cash in NZ as its one of the most cash less places going, we have had EFTPOS here for years and it has only just arrived in the UK in the last few months. Need help on NZ stuff then post here and we would be pleased to help. Regards Ian

I'm not doubting the possibility of doing this, but in all the years we have used credit (charge) cards, I have never, ever heard of intentionally overpaying the card to "to top left the card" We will go tomorrow to our bank (BMO) and ask about it. Will also check out the ATM withdrawals in the country you are in and how to do it. Thank you for your advice.

The way we opertar our credit cards which is a great help when travelling is set up an auto payment with our cheque account which pays the credit card off in full each month ... You only need a small amount of cash in NZ as its one of the most cash less places going, we have had EFTPOS here for years and it has only just arrived in the UK in the last few months.
I wish that my bank and my credit card companies would sort out something like this. Alas, it's not in their interests to: They would actually prefer it if I did not pay the balance in full.

Actually, we've had EFTPOS for years as well here in the UK. The only recent difference is the change to verifying cards by PIN rather than signature, but otherwise the credit and debit card processing systems are basically the same as they have always been.

I wish that my bank and my credit card companies would sort out something like this. Alas, it's not in their interests to: They would actually prefer it if I did not pay the balance in full.

Actually, we've had EFTPOS for years as well here in the UK. The only recent difference is the change to verifying cards by PIN rather than signature, but otherwise the credit and debit card processing systems are basically the same as they have always been.

Yes, it was really the new system of using a PIN into the eftpos system rather than having to sign for CC purchasers.

My banking that i referred to is in fact an English account. I bank with HSBC and they also run my visa card. The auto payment by DD each month to settle my account in full works well, and you should be able to set up somrthing similar with your bank. Our NZ accounts at the ASB Bank also do this service. Hope that helps. Regards Ian [Tauranga NZ and Warwickshire UK]

My banking that i referred to is in fact an English account. I bank with HSBC and they also run my visa card. The auto payment by DD each month to settle my account in full works well, and you should be able to set up somrthing similar with your bank.
No, I've looked into this in the past but it doesn't work for my providers. I have long been using credit cards from providers other than my own bank, which may be part of the problem.

But the main reason is that a DD requires the credit card company to pull the full amount. If the credit card company won't operate a pull system, that's the end of the story.

I'm not prepared to change credit card providers just to get this service, though - my current cards are too valuable for other reasons. But many thanks for the advice!

No, I've looked into this in the past but it doesn't work for my providers. I have long been using credit cards from providers other than my own bank, which may be part of the problem.

But the main reason is that a DD requires the credit card company to pull the full amount. If the credit card company won't operate a pull system, that's the end of the story.

I'm not prepared to change credit card providers just to get this service, though - my current cards are too valuable for other reasons. But many thanks for the advice!

Sorry it did not work out, have a great cruise. Regards Ian

• 2 months later...

Hi, just barging in here, from Canada. We will be in New Zealand and Australia in January, and intend using ATM and Credit cards, bringing a few Australian dollars to start off with, in case we need.

Anyone see any point in exchanging CAnadian dollars for U.S.dollars here, to use down there? Does that make any sense?

Rosie

Rosie,

I certainly wouldn't change any Canadian dollars over for U.S. dollars as we do not use them at all down here. We use our own currency which is either Australian dollars in Australia or New Zealand dollars in New Zealand.

You will not find anyone accepting U.S. dollars unless you go to a bank where it will be changed over for Aussie or N.Z. dollars.

We have lots of ATM outlets so you don't need to worry too much about changing you Canadian dollars before you leave home, just allow enough money for your first taxi ride or drink when you arrive here - say about $100Aud.

Have a great trip and hope you enjoy our country.

Jennie

Anyone see any point in exchanging CAnadian dollars for U.S.dollars here, to use down there? Does that make any sense?
As Aussie Gal says, it makes no sense whatever because Canadian dollars are accepted in just as many places as US dollars.

Frankly, I wouldn't even bother bringing an Aussie dollar float with you. There are ATMs at the airport - just make this your first port of call when you arrive.

Thank you so much, Aussie Gal and Globaliser-

You just proved my point. And I can't wait to get to your country, Aussie Gal, because all of the Australians we have met on other trips have been so friendly, and nice.

Thanks, again,

Rosie

Hi, just barging in here, from Canada. We will be in New Zealand and Australia in January, and intend using ATM and Credit cards, bringing a few Australian dollars to start off with, in case we need.

Rosie

Hi Rosie, Just to let you know that many of the larger tourist destinations in NZ will accept US$ [cash] if you have no other local currency, though you may not get such a good rate as the bank. Everywhere accepts credit cards but often just VISA and Mastercard, AMEX and Diners are not so common here. Other posts all had good advice as well. If you need any further info re NZ we are pleased to assist. Regards Ian {Tauranga]

Archived