More LIVE from the GRAND - Trivial information and commentary

SuitCaseBears

Another live from the Grand, don't mean to spam y'all but I also wanted to post my thoughts chronologically and don't do so every day.. besides I may complete this once I'm home.

I believe there are very very few bad cruises. Well my husband was taken off a cruise by ambulance and we never re-joined the ship. So that wasn’t a great cruise. But a nice doctor in St. Martin basically saved his life and we got home alive – so it wasn’t a bad cruise. The Titanic was a bad cruise. The Andrea Doria was a bad cruise.

So I’d rather provide information, especially tidbits that perhaps new cruisers might not know, some pictures, and some commentary. If you’d like to think of it as a review, feel free.

Bottom line, as I write this midway (not the island, the time into the cruise), I am unhappy because we only have a few days left. We are signing up to take this exact cruise next year.

A general word about food and my approach to “reviewing” meals.

I love food. I consider myself knowledgeable about food and have had the honor of eating at some amazing restaurants. Cruise ship food is generally not of the caliber. If you normally eat fast food, or at major US chain restaurants cruise ship food can be excellent. Sorry to sound like a snob, but to me cruise ship food is occasionally excelling, usually damn good considering the number of people being fed (passengers and cruise alike), and occasionally it misses even that mark.

BUT… a meal is not just the food. A meal consists of your goals, your expectations, the ambiance, the service, the presentation, as well as the food. Cruise ships normally excel in both service and especially in presentation. The only minor problem with this is that food, especially for me, desserts, look better than they taste. This results in me ordering things and cleaning my plate because my mother told me to do so, and not enjoying the food as much as the calories would merit.

But that’s a small price to pay for the total meal experience.

So when I talk about meals we’ve had, you might notice an absence of glowing prose about the food. That doesn’t mean it was bad – not at all. It was just not enough out of the ordinary to mention.

With that explanation, let’s board.

March 5, SF embarkation

We were dropped off at 11:30. Yes I know all of the information I received said no boarding before 1pm. But in my somewhat limited cruise experience, that timing is never accurate. And I had reasons for wanting to board early.

At 11:25 there was clearly a little hustle and bustle at the curb, but not so much that we couldn’t be dropped off easily. A porter was promptly at the trunk of the car with a cart so we didn’t have to even lift a suitcase out.

The first line was to get our cruise cards. We were on the Elite/Suite line, which was a long as the “regular” line, but moved faster. We got our cruise cards in about 10-15 minutes and were directed to the Elite/Suite waiting area. On other lines the Elite/Suite waiting area is somewhat plush with luxuries like a jug of water with a lemon floating in it. In SF the “Elite/Suite” waiting area is like the regular one, hard folding chairs, WWII era industrial décor, but you do board first.

For us, the reduced waiting time in various places is one of the best perks of a Suite (we’ve not sailed enough to be Elite on any line) for us. For many it would be so not worth the price. But that’s what I love about cruising - you can make it whatever you want it to be.

We were called to board about 12:05. SEE!!! It wasn’t 1pm.

I immediately RAN to a phone to call the “dine line” (thanks to reading CC constantly) to get on the list for the Chef’s Table, which we succeeding in doing. And I’ll tell you all about that in a later missive.

Then we RAN to the passenger service desk to get reservations for the Ultimate Ship’s Tour… which we also got on, but haven’t done yet. I’ll review that after we actually do it.

Then we RAN to the Sanctuary. I had heard conflicting information about how difficult it might be to reserve it, as well as reports of exorbitant fee hikes. Well it ain’t cheap, that’s for sure. It’s $20 a ½ day; $40 a full day or $300 for the whole 10 day cruise… per person.

For reasons too boring to go into, we don’t cruise as much as we’d like and we make up for the lack of days at sea by being totally indulgent when we do cruise. So we sprung for the whole shmeggeggie (sp?). So far (day 5) we appear to be the only ones who have done so.

Pictures and Sanctuary information coming soon.

Thanks for posting another thread about the Grand! We will board on the 15th and it was good to hear you had smooth boarding experience. We plan to arrive by 11am so fingers crossed we get onboard noonish.

I am disappointed about the price hike in the sanctuary. I haven't been yet so I planned to to time, but now I'm not so sure. The priciest so high that I couldn't go, it just gives me pause. I look forward to your review of the sanctuary. :)

With the 2x price hike, I have definitely reconsidered my plan to rush aboard in order to reserve spots in the Sanctuary. Since you have a Suite, may I ask gently why you still felt the need to reserve a spot in the Sanctuary? Is your expanded balcony still not sufficient?

We are very interested in peace and quiet and relaxation and crowd avoidance. I am just trying to decide whether the Sanctuary is worth it for us at the increased price level, given that we have already spent so much for the cabin/balcony. Thank you for sharing your insight on this issue, which is becoming a difficult question for me.

I am also looking forward to your review of the Ultimate Ship's Tour! That is also on my list of things to do on our Grand trip next month.

With the 2x price hike, I have definitely reconsidered my plan to rush aboard in order to reserve spots in the Sanctuary. Since you have a Suite, may I ask gently why you still felt the need to reserve a spot in the Sanctuary? Is your expanded balcony still not sufficient?

We are very interested in peace and quiet and relaxation and crowd avoidance. I am just trying to decide whether the Sanctuary is worth it for us at the increased price level, given that we have already spent so much for the cabin/balcony. Thank you for sharing your insight on this issue, which is becoming a difficult question for me.

I am also looking forward to your review of the Ultimate Ship's Tour! That is also on my list of things to do on our Grand trip next month.

Excellent question. I like peace and quiet AND being able to see people and activity. The balcony on our cabin is fantastic, and DH would be happy as a clam there. But I like being closer to people watching.

We adore the Lido deck private cabanas on HAL - whicih are private enclaves right out on the lido deck - excellent people watching - but not really peace and quiet. But for us - a good compromise.

If peace and quiet is really all you want - I would say the balcony is a better choice... but for the ability to have sun or shade as you want it - not based on the ship's position. And more immediate service. See post below.

Sanctuary:

Sanctuary.jpg

So yes we cruise to be indulged, especially on this trip; and our indulgent standards are medium-high; above “OMG table cloths!” but below traveling with our own butler.

If the following is worth something to you – you might want to consider the sanctuary.

The sanctuary has really comfy chairs and lounges; and staff that bring you citrus or cucumber iced water, treats (some free with a $3 “delivery” charge; some at an additional cost); if you’re lucky like we were, if it’s pretty empty you can have lounge chairs made up for you in both the shade and the sun; and full tea service right there outside so you don’t have to miss part of your glorious afternoon going down stairs to gain weight.

Because they make the tea for you individually, you can get any type of tea they carry (they have a good variety) and brewed to your liking. But they have the sandwiches (the roast chicken was particularly good each day I had it); pastries and my favorite… scones with strawberry preserves and whipped, not clotted cream, for which I forgive them.

My husband drinks a lot of ice tea so they happily brought him a pitcher of it, and then kept it filled and refilled.

It’s also nice to know you have your comfy lounge chair, with towels laid out on the seat and back neatly, not the like I do it, regardless of how nice it is out or how many other people are using the “adults only” spa pool.

And for us, since we’re both self employed, don’t get paid vacation, and need to keep tabs on work when we travel, it’s nice to have a place we can spread out and work – without being lounge hogs or interfering with others.

Office+in+Exile.jpg

We also tend to spend a lot of time at sitting around a pool on a cruise. We don’t get off the ship at all ports, so for us, having those reserved sets of lounge chairs and the attentive staff. Is it worth the full cost… I doubt I would do it again, but this was our indulgence cruise.

MEET & GREET

We had a very active Roll Call and over 80 people signed up for the Meet & Greet. When the Roll Call was young, it was suggested we just pick a time and place and meet there. I am new to Princess and totally new to organizing M&Gs but that sounded wrong to me. Someone else on the Roll Call pointed me to another thread on CruiseCritic and there was a list of the coordinators for each ship for Roll Calls (and other gatherings) With the slow internet access, I’m not going to search for it now. But it’s around here.

ANYWAY - we ended up with over 40 people at our M&G which was held up in the One-5 Lounge. I had invited the manager level crew – and the Hotel General Manager, Martin Ford and the Customer Services Director, Giancarlo Cappa attended and circulated around saying hi to everyone. I think everyone had a great time.

I had volunteered to be keeper of the M&G list and made up name tags for people, which forced me to also circulate and say hi to many who attended, which was great. Normally I am the consummate wall flower.

What was most interesting and ultimately most pleasant was that I had gone down to speak to the Maitre D’, Angelo Balbiani to see if a group of us could get tables together at lunch after the M&G. Mr. Balbiani was terribly sorry that with only a few hours notice and at the busiest time for the dining rooms he couldn’t necessarily save an area but we should come down in table sized groups and they would accommodate us. He suggested that if we wanted to reserve an area on one of the returning sea days he would be happy to do so, but I figured after the M&G my organizing duties were over.

BUT… Mr. Balbiani remembered me, and I got a phone call from him the day after the M&G and he expressed, with much consternation that he had only gotten the invitation that moment for the previous day’s M&G. He was very upset that even if he couldn’t have attended, he would have certainly RSVPed had he had the invitation on time.

I’ve crossed paths with Mr. Balbiani (in spite of the Princess emphasis on first names for crew members, I can’t think of the Maitre D’ as “Angelo” because he just has a presence that says MR. Balbiani) several times since and he never fails to stop and say hello, inspite of his having the largest staff to oversee of any of the departments. I think I heard something like 350-400 people. He truly understands Princess’ “consummate host” concept. He manages to keep a very professional reserve while making you feel like you’re a VIP.

M%2526G2.jpg

So yes we cruise to be indulged, especially on this trip; and our indulgent standards are medium-high; above “OMG table cloths!” but below traveling with our own butler.

Our motto as well. When on vacation act like you are "on vacation" and travel well.

If you don't spend it, someone else will.

Mike:)

Bad news first... obviously I've not posted much, and for that I'm sorry...

Good news - I didn't post because quite frankly I was having too good a time. I do have lots to share, including pictures and MAYBE a video. But I'll post once I get home.

Coming attractions include:

• Swimming with the SEA LIONS (big yay)
  • Food, food and more food reviews and pictures
  • Suite observations
  • Chef's Table review
  • Ultimate Ship's tour review
  • Vow renewal review... major huge yay factor.