Do you get travel insurance??

cmoose

We always buy travel insurance and have had to file claims three times in the past five years. Each time the claims were paid in full with no questions asked, by three different insurers - Travelex, Travelguard and CSA. I purchased all policies online through insuremytrip.com.

1. Nov. 2009: Family group of 12 on a Thanksgiving cruise aboard the Norwegian Jewel. My mother slipped and fell in the buffet, fracturing her pelvis. She had to be medically evacuated from Belize to Tampa. All arrangements for the ambulance in Belize, jet, and ambulance in Tampa to the hospital were made by the insurer. The cost of the flight alone was $18,000. Our co-pay was zero.

2. August 2011: Family cruise for four on the Oasis of the Seas. Hurricane Irene was hitting our home state when we disembarked and all return flights were canceled. Insurance reimbursed me for the cost of a rental car, hotel and meals in Florida for four days until we could fly home.

3. Feb. 2012: Mom was booked on a five-night cruise on the Jewel of the Seas with her sister. She had a stroke ten days before the cruise and could not travel. Insurance reimbursed my mom and her sister for the cost of the cruise and airline tickets.

I wouldn't dream of traveling without insurance. It's the first thing I buy after I book a cruise, since most plans will waive pre-existing conditions if you buy them within 14-21 days after your initial trip deposit. Rather than feeling like it's a waste of money, I'm very happy when I don't have to use it!

Before our first cruise last year, we changed our credit card to a VISA Preferred with all the travel insurance included; coming from Canada in the winter, we have to worry about getting to the cruise pier

The card costs about $125/year, but we collect points that more than cover the cost. A great deal, especially when you consider it covers the flight as well as the cruise.

We always buy travel insurance and have had to file claims three times in the past five years. Each time the claims were paid in full with no questions asked, by three different insurers - Travelex, Travelguard and CSA. I purchased all policies online through insuremytrip.com.

1. Nov. 2009: Family group of 12 on a Thanksgiving cruise aboard the Norwegian Jewel. My mother slipped and fell in the buffet, fracturing her pelvis. She had to be medically evacuated from Belize to Tampa. All arrangements for the ambulance in Belize, jet, and ambulance in Tampa to the hospital were made by the insurer. The cost of the flight alone was $18,000. Our co-pay was zero.

2. August 2011: Family cruise for four on the Oasis of the Seas. Hurricane Irene was hitting our home state when we disembarked and all return flights were canceled. Insurance reimbursed me for the cost of a rental car, hotel and meals in Florida for four days until we could fly home.

3. Feb. 2012: Mom was booked on a five-night cruise on the Jewel of the Seas with her sister. She had a stroke ten days before the cruise and could not travel. Insurance reimbursed my mom and her sister for the cost of the cruise and airline tickets.

I wouldn't dream of traveling without insurance. It's the first thing I buy after I book a cruise, since most plans will waive pre-existing conditions if you buy them within 14-21 days after your initial trip deposit. Rather than feeling like it's a waste of money, I'm very happy when I don't have to use it!

With that kind of luck, you can never cruise without it.

Edited by bugeater2

With that kind of luck, you can never cruise without it.

Tell me about it! I've told my mom we're never booking on another ship with "Jewel" in its name again, since she fell on the Norwegian Jewel and had a stroke before her cruise on Jewel of the Seas! In between and since these cruises, we've had uneventful (meaning insurance claim-free) trips on the Oasis of the Seas, Norwegian Epic and Celebrity Reflection so thankfully our luck hasn't been all bad.

Thanks for this thread!

I blindly purchased the insurance through Disney on our cruise in 2012. We are cruising with NCL this summer and I initially said no the insurance wanting to think about it. 1) I know I will purchase insurance but 2) I just called my credit card company and discovered that I do have some insurance through them and 3) went to one of the websites mentioned here and found a plan that fits my needs for less money.

Thanks!

Always! Trip insurance saved us two times:

1) We were "lucky" to spend an extra 7 days in a hurricane evacuation shelter in Mexico during Hurricane Wilma. Insurance paid for all of our damaged clothes, dive equipment, missed flight, flight (finally!) out of Mexico and then our hotel in Houston when we landed in the US.

2) We were booked with my parents for a 7 day cruise. 4 days before we were to leave, my Mom became ill and had to have surgery. She spent the next 16 weeks in the ICU at Cleveland Clinic. Because of the trip insurance, my parents were not out any money - flight and cruise were totally reimbursed.

I personally would never travel without insurance. You just never know what is going to happen; either before or during your holiday. Better safe than sorry.

Yes. Always insure your trip from the day you leave home through the day you arrive back home.

A crash on the way to the airport

or pier would be covered.

And that is exactly why I point out people should know what they are insuring.

Two very, very different scenarios there.

If on the way to airport, all medical will be covered by your primary insurance anyways. You will miss the cruise of course.

The second one, if out of the country, way different.

Personally, we have bought insurance once on all the cruises listed below. And, we usually add days on both ends. Is this the best idea for everyone? Nope. But, we have saved thousands. Of course, we sort of insure against some issues by flying in the day before and touring the port city, extending our vacation and reducing stress. Again, not for everyone.

Edited by garycarla

I took out insurance on my first cruise not because I was worried something might happen to me, but because my mother had been in ill health and if something happened to her then I was going to cancel my cruise and be with her. Luckily nothing happened to her and my daughter and I were able to cruise somewhat worry free. She did however go into the hospital 3 days after my daughter and I returned from our cruise and she never made a full recovery and passed away a few months later.

I've taken out insurance again with my upcoming cruise. Once again I'm not worried about myself but my dad has also had a lot of health issues over the course of the past year. So once again it's because if something happens then I'm cancelling to be with him.

Of course we get insurance. It is the smart thing to do. It is not just you and your traveling party that you are covering. You are covering other possibilities such as your home being damaged destroyed burglarized making it impossible for you to travel

You are covering the possibility that you break down on the way to the port and miss the ship

You are covering the possibility that your appendix needs to be removed a week before your cruise

You are covering the possibility of an immediate non traveling relative taking ill or dying and you don't want to leave them

And when you buy from a third party insurer you are covered in case the cruise line goes bankrupt

Read your policy before you buy as they do differ in coverage and price but yes

I buy insurance all the time for every trip be it Disney or. A cruise or a land trip to Europe.

A no brainer

You are so right. Hubby slipped on ice recently and bruised his ribs. If we had booked a cruise in April, like we were originally thinking, we would be in a bind without travel insurance.Always buy it.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

here's a reason to get travel insurance:

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/323837/coast-guard-medevacs-66-year-old-man-cruise-ship-off-north-carolina-coast#.UynKAoV7zDE

The Coast Guard received a radio call from the Carnival Splendor around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday March 18th, that a man was in medical distress. Crews arrived at the Carnival Splendor around 1:30 a.m. this morning with an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter launched from Air Station Elizabeth City.

The man was transported to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in stable condition.

The Carnival Splendor is en route from New York to the Bahamas.

Edited by MRBOOKEND

We always get travel insurance when we are leaving the United States.

But don't forget travel with the USA

Trip cut short due to accident etc and you have fly back ASAP Don't forget about non refundable hotels theme park tickets broadway show tix etc

Flying within the USA for a trip requires insurance as well

I have known of more than one person who died in Florida and the cost to ship a body to New York is very expensive

We were in the middle of Central America -had recently gotten off a small cruise to the Galapagos Islands and were doing a tour south of the equator when the travel company we had booked through decided to file for Chapter 13. I guess they had collected money from all the travelers but never paid it to the various providers (cruise line, hotels, travel companies) and they were at the end of the rope so to speak. We had just finished a tour of some remote Mayan ruins and the bus that was supposed to come get us was late - and late - and late. There was no phones or anything for us to contact anyone but thank goodness for human kindness - I guess the bus driver could not stand the fact that he know our group was stuck out there in the middle of nowhere and he came for us - even without payment. Long story short, we had pre-purchased a group tour - all inclusive BUT the travel company we had booked with never paid all the travel providers because of the bankruptcy. We ended up having to pay for everything again using credit cards in order to get home. We had purchased travel insurance that included an 'insolvency' clause (read your policy) and we were reimbursed for all the additional expenses. Others in our group who did not have travel insurance are still trying to get money back.

We were in the middle of Central America -had recently gotten off a small cruise to the Galapagos Islands and were doing a tour south of the equator when the travel company we had booked through decided to file for Chapter 13. I guess they had collected money from all the travelers but never paid it to the various providers (cruise line, hotels, travel companies) and they were at the end of the rope so to speak. We had just finished a tour of some remote Mayan ruins and the bus that was supposed to come get us was late - and late - and late. There was no phones or anything for us to contact anyone but thank goodness for human kindness - I guess the bus driver could not stand the fact that he know our group was stuck out there in the middle of nowhere and he came for us - even without payment. Long story short, we had pre-purchased a group tour - all inclusive BUT the travel company we had booked with never paid all the travel providers because of the bankruptcy. We ended up having to pay for everything again using credit cards in order to get home. We had purchased travel insurance that included an 'insolvency' clause (read your policy) and we were reimbursed for all the additional expenses. Others in our group who did not have travel insurance are still trying to get money back.

And luckily you bought third party insurance for had you purchased your insurance directly from the cruise line it would have been worthless.

... We ended up having to pay for everything again using credit cards in order to get home.... (then getting reimbursed later)

I am amazed at people that buy travel insurance in case something happens, but then leave themselves exposed by not having credit cards with them.

Even with insurance, you generally have to pay for most things and get reimbursed.

I read often of people traveling with just enough cash to cover anticipated expenses. That scares me even more than the worry of a medical evacuation.

I am amazed at people that buy travel insurance in case something happens, but then leave themselves exposed by not having credit cards with them.

Even with insurance, you generally have to pay for most things and get reimbursed.

I read often of people traveling with just enough cash to cover anticipated expenses. That scares me even more than the worry of a medical evacuation.

It also scares me when they plan to use ATM debit cards!!! Too many possibilities

Anyone who want to travel should have a credit card with an ample line of credit with them for emergencies.

Another no brainer. For those that can't obtain one with a high credit line then look for one or 2 that will give you smaller lines.

For those that will say a trip is very expensive and they save all year for it. Etc etc and have no spare cash I will say if you are cruising you must have some sort of regular income be it retirement or work paychecks. I also assume you pay bills promptly etc

Shouldn't be a problem to get a card

And an Interest free one as well. Just open all your mail and eventually you will find an interest free credit card offer. Or go to any banks website.

If I sound harsh well so be it. I am a big proponent of personal fiscal responsibility.

Edited by Crusin6

I have always been a firm believer in travel insurance, but even more so now. We had a family cruise to the Baltics planned in 2011 including cruise, airfare to Amsterdam, hotels etc. We were set to leave on Friday and that Tuesday my 21 year old daughter who was traveling with us got diagnosed with leukemia. Our whole lives were turned upside down. Thank goodness we had insurance. They were incredibly kind and we had a check for the full amount of our trip, almost $13,000. within 3 weeks. I hope no one ever has to cancel their trip for any such reason, but please don't consider traveling without insurance. You never know when you may really need it.

I have always been a firm believer in travel insurance, but even more so now. We had a family cruise to the Baltics planned in 2011 including cruise, airfare to Amsterdam, hotels etc. We were set to leave on Friday and that Tuesday my 21 year old daughter who was traveling with us got diagnosed with leukemia. Our whole lives were turned upside down. Thank goodness we had insurance. They were incredibly kind and we had a check for the full amount of our trip, almost $13,000. within 3 weeks. I hope no one ever has to cancel their trip for any such reason, but please don't consider traveling without insurance. You never know when you may really need it.

So sorry this happened to you and hope she is all well now!

Fwiw from what I have read and heard even if your daughter was not part of your travel party you still may have been able to cancel and be covered as she is an immediate relative.

All policies are different if course

So sorry this happened to you and hope she is all well now!

Fwiw from what I have read and heard even if your daughter was not part of your travel party you still may have been able to cancel and be covered as she is an immediate relative.

All policies are different if course

Thank you for the kind thoughts. She is in remission now and doing well. My point was that you just never know. You may think you don't need the insurance but life can throw you a curveball at any time.

You are correct. We would have been covered whether she was booked or not as she is immediate family.

We went on a safari in Africa for 2 weeks, 3 years ago, and bought insurance for that trip.

But for our cruises, 2-3 a year, I am a rebel, and will not buy insurance for them. Nor the other vacations we take every year.

We already give the insurance company over $12,000 a year for the policies we already have.

I do not buy the extended warranties the stores try to sell me, every time I buy something there.

I guess I am a real rebel.

To each, their own. What ever floats your boat. :eek:

I generally do but make the insurance bet.

We are about to do a 12 day cruise Tampa to Boston. Just bought insurance for two 60 years olds for $109 (total for both) via insuremytrip.com

Got all that medical evacuation, medical and even a small death benefit thrown in. Deal!