E-mail from PVP - Curling Irons may be Confiscated?

Sarah@Sea

thanks, i never take a power strip, def don't need it on this cruise, just me...i'll be sure check my curling irons and if neither have auto off i'll be sure to check the cheaper on! :d but honestly good reason to not even mess with curling hair, bun? Braid? Works for me. Just definitely something i had never seen discussed on the boards, or anyone mention theirs got taken away.

hi---carnival--has curling irons--provided in each cabin---so what is the big fuss-----irene---

hi---carnival--has curling irons--provided in each cabin---so what is the big fuss-----irene---

There are NOT curling irons or flat irons in every cabin or ANY cabin on ANY ship that I've even been one. Some ships have hair dryers, the ship I will be on has the one attached to the bathroom wall which is crappy. The issue is not how my hair would look, it is the word confiscated being used and no indication of if an item would be returned at the end of the cruise.

Having cruised on same ship in October with no issue with any items in my luggage I would be upset to now have an item confiscated.

Does anybody care that leaving the curling iron or straightener on can cause a fire, which is what this is all about? Does everyone think Carnival is doing this just "because"?

Seems everyone is irate about the amount of money they spent or wearing a hat to the MDR on formal night being an issue for Carnival. I also don't understand the "they may not find it so go ahead and bring it" attitude. If they don't find it, does that eliminate the fire hazard? How about following the rules and not challenging Carnival to spend time making sure you don't endanger other passengers.

Just because something never has happened in the past, you aren't going to be real happy if it happens when you are on a cruise.

Personally, I don't use an electronic device that doesn't have an auto shutoff at home (as there is the same chance of fire there) so no worries about taking one on a cruise ship.

And just how many cruise ships have caught fire from the dreaded curling iron? I agree with the other post that smoking materials are a much greater fire threat.

I had a small fan taken on the Glory by ships security after we were under way. They called me to the "naughty" room to get my bag since I always lock my checked bags. I complained to guest service as fans are allowed according to the web site. They sent me one of their company owned fans to use for the duration. The one they brought was exactly like the one they took from me. A cheap $10 Wal-Mart fan. Go figure.

The funny part is the security officer was holding two of my rum runners in his hand as he explained I couldn't have the fan and never said a word about the rum runners.

That cracked me up! Thanks!:D

And just how many cruise ships have caught fire from the dreaded curling iron? I agree with the other post that smoking materials are a much greater fire threat.

When I was flying back to US from Guatemala my checked bag was a bit overweight, happened before and I know my hair dryer is about 2-3lbs ish, so I reach in and grab it to put in my carry-on and the agent says "that item cannot be taken on board, it will be taken at security"...really a hair dryer? They also rechecked at the airplane door for liquids, so even if you bought it past security it was taken and discarded.

I too have never had my flat iron confiscated and I always put it in my carry on. They may confiscate liquor and anything else they wish but not my flat iron! :)

I know it is precaution and it is understandable but I would worry more about the folks that throw their cigarette butts off a moving ship then a curling/flat iron. Just my 2 cents.

Does anybody care that leaving the curling iron or straightener on can cause a fire, which is what this is all about? Does everyone think Carnival is doing this just "because"?

Seems everyone is irate about the amount of money they spent or wearing a hat to the MDR on formal night being an issue for Carnival. I also don't understand the "they may not find it so go ahead and bring it" attitude. If they don't find it, does that eliminate the fire hazard? How about following the rules and not challenging Carnival to spend time making sure you don't endanger other passengers.

Just because something never has happened in the past, you aren't going to be real happy if it happens when you are on a cruise.

Personally, I don't use an electronic device that doesn't have an auto shutoff at home (as there is the same chance of fire there) so no worries about taking one on a cruise ship.

I have never heard of a fire on a ship caused by a clothing iron. Don't worry about everyone else worry about yourself!