E-mail from PVP - Curling Irons may be Confiscated?

Sarah@Sea

Just received the "before you go" e-mail from Carnival PVP highlighted and BOLD print states ...oh and ALL CAPS

"IF BRINGING CURLING IRONS OR STRAIGHTENING IRONS FOR YOUR HAIR, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE AN AUTO OFF FEATURE OTHERWISE THEY MAY BE CONFISCATED—THEY COULD BE SEEN AS A FIRE HAZARD"

I honestly don't even use mine daily so I have no clue if they have auto-off...but I would hope if take the items would be RETURNED at the end of the cruise...hello some straighten irons are $100 or MORE (not mine because ex-coworker stole the good one on biz trip).

However, under the "be sure to bring area"...it mentions extension cord...thought there was a big broohaha about Carnival banning extension cords.

There are some inconsistencies with Carnivals policies regarding what you can and can not take on board. I always use the example of our family trip to Alaska. Three, new, still in the box, power strips in three different suitcases. One was confiscated the other two made it to the rooms. These were NOT prohibited items. My suggestion is to take your hair straightener or curling iron in your carry on. That way if there is a question you can argue your point right then and there. With the power strip, they said we could pick it up the morning of disembarkation. No way was I going to wait around for a $10 item.

Thanks, I never take a power strip, def don't need it on this cruise, just me...I'll be sure check my curling irons and if neither have auto off I'll be sure to check the cheaper on! :D But honestly good reason to not even mess with curling hair, bun? braid? works for me. Just definitely something I had never seen discussed on the boards, or anyone mention theirs got taken away.

Most straighteners that cost over $100 have on/off switches. It's mostly the older and cheaper curling irons/straighteners that don't have on off switches. Those will be confiscated. You can get them back at the end of the cruise.

Most straighteners that cost over $100 have on/off switches. It's mostly the older and cheaper curling irons/straighteners that don't have on off switches. Those will be confiscated. You can get them back at the end of the cruise.

OP posted that the curling irons needed to have the "auto off" feature. That's different than just the standard on/off button.

Just received the "before you go" e-mail from Carnival PVP highlighted and BOLD print states ...oh and ALL CAPS

"IF BRINGING CURLING IRONS OR STRAIGHTENING IRONS FOR YOUR HAIR, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE AN AUTO OFF FEATURE OTHERWISE THEY MAY BE CONFISCATED—THEY COULD BE SEEN AS A FIRE HAZARD"

I honestly don't even use mine daily so I have no clue if they have auto-off...but I would hope if take the items would be RETURNED at the end of the cruise...hello some straighten irons are $100 or MORE (not mine because ex-coworker stole the good one on biz trip).

However, under the "be sure to bring area"...it mentions extension cord...thought there was a big broohaha about Carnival banning extension cords.

I paid $140 for my straightener and it has on/off NOT automatic. I'm not sure I've ever even see automatic off.

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Instant-Heat-Curling-4-Inch/dp/B000050B6Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1394494720&sr=1-2&keywords=curling+iron+auto+shut+off

That's a curling iron, but here's a straightener:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-S6600-Ultimate-Stylist-Flat-Iron-Curling-Iron/17470848#Item+Description

Edited by Shmoo here

I just can't imagine them opening every piece of luggage with a curling iron inside to check the switch?

Well, there's a thread running right now on the Holland America board where someone had their hair straightener confiscated.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2005272

Apparently, they were confiscating out of carry on bags, but not checked bags. But, I would think that the x-ray process would identify those bags that need closer inspection (much like with alcohol).

I guess you should never say never, but my wife always takes a curling and/or flat iron and it has never been an issue.

I just have to say....if Carnival confiscated my curling iron, I would turn around and go home and find me a new cruise line. Such a stupid policy is a deal breaker for me.

I paid $140 for my straightener and it has on/off NOT automatic. I'm not sure I've ever even see automatic off.

I have a "salon" straightening iron bought by my stylist at their supply house -- professional grade iron -- and it does not have an auto off feature. It was not cheap, it is not old, and it cost over $100.00.

My cruise is in less than 2 weeks and if my iron gets confiscated, they will be the ones not happy. That would mean I would have to wear a HAT the entire cruise as my hair is naturally curly, and not the GOOD kinda curly. So, if they want my elegant attire to include a HAT . . . . :eek:

Take curling iron and often dryer, never had them taken or questioned. I do make a point of using it in the cabin, then storing it away and out of sight. Not a good idea to leave anything plugged in. DH's bipap extension cord is always unplugged and stored when not in use. I might be a little over the top; I also stow our toothbrushes away when not in use ( another subject)

I have a "salon" straightening iron bought by my stylist at their supply house -- professional grade iron -- and it does not have an auto off feature. It was not cheap, it is not old, and it cost over $100.00.

My cruise is in less than 2 weeks and if my iron gets confiscated, they will be the ones not happy. That would mean I would have to wear a HAT the entire cruise as my hair is naturally curly, and not the GOOD kinda curly. So, if they want my elegant attire to include a HAT . . . . :eek:

I would venture a guess that a lot of salon/professional grade straightening and curling irons would not have an auto off feature since in a salon, it is usually used throughout the day and often for longer periods of time. I think for some stylists the auto off feature would not be a desired feature.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent cabin fire on the Valor:confused: At any rate I bought a new hair straightener after reading this thread. It DOES auto shut off. My old one did not. I am going to take it in the box to show proof it does auto shut off. My fuzzy hair is not good on Formal night!

I had a small fan taken on the Glory by ships security after we were under way. They called me to the "naughty" room to get my bag since I always lock my checked bags. I complained to guest service as fans are allowed according to the web site. They sent me one of their company owned fans to use for the duration. The one they brought was exactly like the one they took from me. A cheap $10 Wal-Mart fan. Go figure.

The funny part is the security officer was holding two of my rum runners in his hand as he explained I couldn't have the fan and never said a word about the rum runners.

Well, there's a thread running right now on the Holland America board where someone had their hair straightener confiscated.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2005272

Apparently, they were confiscating out of carry on bags, but not checked bags. But, I would think that the x-ray process would identify those bags that need closer inspection (much like with alcohol).

I cruise on Carnival in October and HAL in December, both straight iron and curling iron made it...although I only used curling iron ONCE and that was Carnival cruise formal night, the 4 day HAL did not have a formal night. Luckily my hair blow dryers pretty nicely with just a brush, usually use a flat iron the next day to resmooth but on a cruise since I'm in the pool during day, then I shower and wash hair again, I wash my hair more on cruises due to all the swimming.

I'm taking the papers that show automatic shut off. I bought a cheapo one that has it and funny thing is my expensive one doesn't. I actually bought the cheaper one to take in case I left it behind and wouldn't mind as much.

Does anybody care that leaving the curling iron or straightener on can cause a fire, which is what this is all about? Does everyone think Carnival is doing this just "because"?

Seems everyone is irate about the amount of money they spent or wearing a hat to the MDR on formal night being an issue for Carnival. I also don't understand the "they may not find it so go ahead and bring it" attitude. If they don't find it, does that eliminate the fire hazard? How about following the rules and not challenging Carnival to spend time making sure you don't endanger other passengers.

Just because something never has happened in the past, you aren't going to be real happy if it happens when you are on a cruise.

Personally, I don't use an electronic device that doesn't have an auto shutoff at home (as there is the same chance of fire there) so no worries about taking one on a cruise ship.

Does anybody care that leaving the curling iron or straightener on can cause a fire, which is what this is all about? Does everyone think Carnival is doing this just "because"?

Seems everyone is irate about the amount of money they spent or wearing a hat to the MDR on formal night being an issue for Carnival. I also don't understand the "they may not find it so go ahead and bring it" attitude. If they don't find it, does that eliminate the fire hazard? How about following the rules and not challenging Carnival to spend time making sure you don't endanger other passengers.

Just because something never has happened in the past, you aren't going to be real happy if it happens when you are on a cruise.

Personally, I don't use an electronic device that doesn't have an auto shutoff at home (as there is the same chance of fire there) so no worries about taking one on a cruise ship.

I've been curling my hair for nearly 30 years and have never caused a fire..and that says something given the amount of aerosol hairspray used in middle and high school. Laptops batteries get really hot and "can be" a fire hazard. Are we going to confiscate laptops or ban them? There are many things that "can be" a fire hazard. The risk of a curling iron or flat iron being one is very low and to compare the risk of fire against pissing off passengers or the price to pay crew to check every iron brought on board just doesn't seem to make sense. The pools pose a drowning risk, geez alcohol poses risk. Let's take away all risk so we have "safe" vacation. The point is curling irons and straight irons are common household products used daily with no issues, do I know if mine has an auto off, no clue because I'm responsible enough to always unplug it once I'm finished using it as are most users.

If only we could mandate common sense, verses banning items.

And think of the decrease in photo sales if women can't fix their hair!

Also...follow the "rules"...I have yet to see it said the items are against any rules, the email said "maybe confiscated"....not that there is an actual new policy regarding this....which is why it may upset people who have items taken without prior knowledge that there may be an issue...also my concern was the word confiscated when yes the items are expensive and I would want to be sure it was returned to me.

Edited by Sarah@Sea