passports for kids?

Amink

the above two grand kids have been on a total of 11 cruises without passports. 7 to the Bahamas. No its not needed and many people do without them. They are only needed to fly back from the Bahamas...although an authorization to travel with out a passport can be obtained with some difficulty in an emergency...

We have them only because it is easier to hand over 5 passports then all the paper work (BC, photo id's etc) for 5. But no they are not required. You could get the passport card for the kids. They are only $15. But you cant fly with them.

Passports are not required to go the Bahamas as long as your cruise begins and ends in the same U.S. port. However, it would be good to get one should you need to fly back for emergency reasons. All you need is a state issued birth certificate not the hospital ones.

We have them only because it is easier to hand over 5 passports then all the paper work (BC, photo id's etc) for 5. But no they are not required. You could get the passport card for the kids. They are only $15. But you cant fly with them.

Yeah, $15 plus $25 execution fee. US government for ya! Anyhow, since no one gave all the facts here is what you need to know.

You don't need a passport only for ships cruising to and from the SAME US PORT. They call this a closed loop cruise and this applies to the Caribbean and some other ports but not all ports so check this out if you are going anywhere other than Caribbean. As was mentioned you do need the raised seal birth certificate so make sure you have the correct one. If your ship leaves from one port and arrives in another you need a passport.

Kids under 16 don't need photo ID and I'd sure be willing to give the ck in agent 5 pieces of paper instead of passports to save $600

You will hear both ways on here...and already have. In my opinion, it is worth my peace of mind to have a passport for my daughter. Nothing has ever happened where we have needed it to fly home in an emergency, but it only takes 1 time and you'll wish you would have gotten it.

no such requirement

Correct, but I believe they may have been referring to the certificate that some hospitals issue at birth, which is not an actual birth certificate...just a decorative piece to hang on the wall. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative states original birth certificate or suitable copy....

for kids it is $105 total for the passport. Which is good for 5 years. which it $21 per year. I think most of us spend more than that a week for our fancy coffees LOL. If you travel often not bad to have. If this is a one shot deal, don't bother. If you child is close to 16, wait till their birthday so it then it will be good for 10 years. Just my opinion.

I know it is recommended to have passports for everyone, but is it REALLY needed to cruise to the bahamas?

It would save us a lot of money if we don't need Passports for all 3 kids.

You can get the passport cards which are much cheaper

We went the route of getting the kids passports for the trip this weekend. Yes you don't need them if you are doing a closed loop cruise from a US city but it was one of those what if questions. It was $105 per child plus the fee to get their pictures, another $15.

Oldest DD is 11 so when she needs a new one she will be ready for her adult passport so that is good. It is just the ease of mind, just like buying travel insurance, that you don't have to worry about it in the case you need to get home by air.

I'll be the odd man out here and say I think they are totally unneccassy for children (or even adults) traveling on a cruise ship.

We've been cruising as a family for 15 years. Starting with 1 child (who is now 17yrs old) and now have 3 kids. Never have we gotten passports, any of us.

Just hand over the birth certificates for the kids (ID not needed until they are 16)

And birth certificate and ID for the 2 adults and now my oldest.

It's not really hard or complicated.

And if for some crazy 1% chance we were stuck in the Bahamas or carribean or wherever and needed to fly home. We could work that out. They do have ways to fly folks home that don't have passports.