Getting off the ship in Montego Bay, Jamaica

EasyBreezy83

We are going to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We have excursions planned in all areas BUT Montego Bay. Honestly, after reading different reviews, I'm feeling a little nervous to get off the ship and walk about here.

I would love to know from others who have been here already how it was. Did you feel safe? Are the bad/scary reviews true?? It will be myself, husband, and 10 year old going. Suggestions appreciated.

It has been a long time since I have been there so it may have changed since then. In 2005 when we stopped there where the ship docked was not in an area that I would have walked around in. My daughter was also 10 at the time. The terminal was surrounded by a high fence and had guards with machine guns all around guarding the place. We took a cab to Margaritaville which was very nice and there were cabs waiting outside there to take you back to the ship. We went out of Margaritaville to a shop within sight and were approached several times for hair braiding and trying to get you into a certain shop. Very pushy people there. I have no plans to ever return to that port.

We traveled to Jamaica again on RCI to the Falmouth port and it is very nice, much better if you ever have a chance to stop there.

Edited by Mysticks1

We went in Jan. I also was a little nervous about the stop but had a great, quiet and relaxing day. We took a taxi to Dr. Cave Beach there is a $6.00 admission charge but the beach was great, restrooms, chairs available if you wanted to rent them. No vendors but there were a few men trying to sell pot out side the door but very easy to walk by. Hope this helps.

Pat

We felt safe. We took a cab to Doc's Cave beach then walked down the Hip Strip to Margaritaville. After spending some time there, we walked down to the Pork Pit, back to Margaritaville and took a cab back to the ship.

The two 18 year old boys who were with us were offered weed, they just declined and were left alone. Expect that this might happen and if it does, just politely decline and you'll be fine.

There was some type of flea market type thing set up where there were a lot of locals. We knew not to go there. Do a little research and have a plan on where you are going and have a good time!

As long as you are on a tour, you are safe IMO, but like others said, I would not venture off by yourselves. Jamaica is pretty, but I do not care for it . This is one reason we like the Roatan itineraries,hilly and scenic like Jamaica, but completely safe, very nice people.I do not care for the cruise dock area either, as there is nothing to see right outside of it, unless it has changed since we were last there..

I think if you book a tour you should be fine. You will hear mixed feelings about Jamaica. Sis and I went there on our first cruise back in 1999, and we both agreed, we felt very unwelcome. Before our tour we walked into town down one of the main streets, and just generally felt unwelcome, I don't know any other way to say it. I have traveled a lot, not just cruises, I manage my expectations accordingly and realize that not everyone loves Americans. However, if you live in a country that relies heavily on tourist dollars, why would you not put on your "game face" and least pretend to like me? you'll get my business a lot quicker that way. In all the cruises I've done, this was the only port I ever felt open dislike directed at me.

Having said all that, we took a tour to Dunns River Falls and it was really pretty. If I visit this port again, I will book a tour, I wouldn't wing it.

Edited by Buckett

I have been there while cruising and liked it so well that I went back and spent a week in an all-inclusive. Jamaica is one of my favorite ports. I personally enjoy the vendors and you can find really good prices if you are careful and try to find quality products. There are places that I would not go alone on foot, but there are places like that in my home town. I think you can find as much to do safely in Jamaica for 7 or 8 hours as you will find in any port. I'll back there in May and look forward to a great time. My 12 year old God-Daughter is really excited about going to Jamaica.

We are going to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We have excursions planned in all areas BUT Montego Bay. Honestly, after reading different reviews, I'm feeling a little nervous to get off the ship and walk about here.

I would love to know from others who have been here already how it was. Did you feel safe? Are the bad/scary reviews true?? It will be myself, husband, and 10 year old going. Suggestions appreciated.

Um...I'll be on the same cruise as you and am nervous as well. Let's stick together!

We will be stopping in MoBay next month on the Carnival Magic and are thinking of doing the Carnival Excursion to Negril Margeritaville and Rick's Sunset Bar where they have the cliff divers.

Has anyone done this excursion and what did you think.

Linda

If we did anything here it will be without the ship, which is why Im a little uneasy now. When we made plans in the two other ports, I hadn't read up as much on Jamaica. I have excursions planned in both other ports, so Jamaica was going to be our more relaxed, walk around and just enjoy the scene type day, especially because we couldn't really find an excursion that we all liked with the ship... but after really reading, I just don't know. The reviews I've read have me so nervous now. :o

We did a ship excursion, it was a dolpine swim, we also went to dr. cave beach, we walked down the strip to the pork pit.....best jerk EVER!!!!!! That place totally made our trip. we were also offered weed while eating, and were asked on the walk back, funny though, walking a short way behind the gentlman that offered to sell it to us was a cop...:rolleyes: I really don't like ship excursions, ours was filled with slow people that don't listen, but if I were going anywhere other then the general port area there I would advise it

Edited by jgr8fulbear

We were just here in December and booked a day at Hilton Rose Hall. The place is absolutely gorgeous with tons of stuff there to do. It has an awesome water park with different slides (some empty into a lagoon type pool and then continue on), a lazy river and much more. It's a beautiful, relaxing day and the grounds is huge.

I have a complete review listed in my signature with TONS of pictures if you are interested in checking it out. :)

Hey fellow cruiser!! Yes, safety in numbers for sure! :p

HA! I think we're going to take a quick cab ride to Doctor's Cove and see how we feel once we're there. Even if we spend the morning at the beach then head back to the ship for a late lunch by the pool, I'll be okay with that. As long as I can say that I've actually attempted to do something fun, I'd be happy

Your tour sounds great, I was planning to take a taxi to a beach but I am looking up liberty tours now!

We were there in January this year and booked a fabulous tour with Liberty Tours Jamaica. Here's my review and pictures. Best excursion we have ever done!

http://www.whenshiphappens.com/blog/2014/02/jamaica-liberty-tours.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your tour sounds great, I was planning to take a taxi to a beach but I am looking up liberty tours now!

Awesome! It's one of the best excursions we have ever done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went in Jan. I also was a little nervous about the stop but had a great, quiet and relaxing day. We took a taxi to Dr. Cave Beach there is a $6.00 admission charge but the beach was great, restrooms, chairs available if you wanted to rent them. No vendors but there were a few men trying to sell pot out side the door but very easy to walk by. Hope this helps.

Pat

This is what we have done twice now, really nice beach, had some drinks, snorkelled around the pier lots of little fish, laid out in the sun, best little trip to the beach in Jamaica just grab a cab at the port it is feet away from margaritaville when you are done walk back along the shops and get your cab back at margaritaville, Dunn's waterfalls is great trip too but its a long day trip :-) you will get asked if you want to buy weed, souveniers etc but thats most vacation islands they rely on your business a simple NO THANKS and they go away. Enjoy don't let the few pessimists spoil your time.

HA! I think we're going to take a quick cab ride to Doctor's Cove and see how we feel once we're there. Even if we spend the morning at the beach then head back to the ship for a late lunch by the pool, I'll be okay with that. As long as I can say that I've actually attempted to do something fun, I'd be happy

Sounds like a great day! I've been looking at the same beach, so if I do end up getting off the ship, it will be there.

we usually go to Mo Bay twice a year and never felt uncomfortable. We do our own thing, taxi to The Pork Pit for lunch, down to the Hip Stip to Biggs, then up and down the street people watching. Margaritaville is nice but to loud for us, Biggs which is almost next door has good food, nice little beach area and calm. Nancy

Here's my thoughts about just getting off the ship and walking around. (I may be wrong, so someone correct me if so).

When we were there a couple months ago, this place is really not a "tourist-type" of port. It's not nice like some of the other ports where they have made it center around cruisers with places to eat, lots of shopping and a beautiful scenery. It's just an ugly building with not much in it.

Here's some pictures I took while walking around in there.

PC180006-L.jpg

IMG_0280-L.jpg

This area is like a warehouse district and is very ugly.

IMG_0299-L.jpg

PC180009-L.jpg

This is outside the terminal. It was nothing but taxis.

PC180008-L.jpg

So to me, there wasn't really much to do. I'm not sure if once you get out and away from here what there is to do. I know sometimes when people post about just getting off the cruise ship and hanging around the port, that they are actually referring to the "port" area itself. This isn't one of those ports.

So maybe in order to find things to do in the area...I'm not sure if you can actually walk there or you have to catch a cab outside the area. Others can chime in on this. I just know that there's a gate outside the terminal and people coming and going from the gate was by taxi. Then once we pulled out onto the road, there wasn't anything out there until you got down and around this warehouse looking area that we were docked at. :confused: