Getting off the ship in Montego Bay, Jamaica

EasyBreezy83

We are going to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We have excursions planned in all areas BUT Montego Bay. Honestly, after reading different reviews, I'm feeling a little nervous to get off the ship and walk about here.

I would love to know from others who have been here already how it was. Did you feel safe? Are the bad/scary reviews true?? It will be myself, husband, and 10 year old going. Suggestions appreciated.

my suggestion would be to grab a cab and do the “rafting on the martha bray”…

awesome beauty, tourists are protected by the locals…

2M tourist visit a year with little reports of incidents…

We were there in January this year and booked a fabulous tour with Liberty Tours Jamaica. Here's my review and pictures. Best excursion we have ever done!

http://www.whenshiphappens.com/blog/2014/02/jamaica-liberty-tours.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you this looks awesome! As a general rule we hate booking through the ship and in every other port we have been to we have always booked privately and had no issues, we werent too sure about this port but your review helped us decide. Emailed liberty tours about 9pm our local (eastern) time and within 5 minutes received a reply and price for the 7 of us, great price and we're looking forward to this excursion!! :D

Thank you this looks awesome! As a general rule we hate booking through the ship and in every other port we have been to we have always booked privately and had no issues, we werent too sure about this port but your review helped us decide. Emailed liberty tours about 9pm our local (eastern) time and within 5 minutes received a reply and price for the 7 of us, great price and we're looking forward to this excursion!! :D

I am so happy it helped someone! 9 cruises down this excursion was one of the best we have ever done! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did!!

... I still crave Scotchies jerk chicken! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been to Jamaica many times, some with AI and some on cruises. I understand the hesitancy based on cruising into port and not having something lined up. It can be an awful experience, but not true to Jamaican culture or to the beautiful island. Get away from the port, book an excursion ahead of time, such as Marva and Javia Shaw at http://www.knowjamaica.com or JUTA tours, or through the cruise line, but DO NOT MISS IT!

Last time I cruised into Montego Bay, we went through the warehouse building (which, by the way, I enjoyed much more than Falmouth shopping and other cruise ship ports that are so fake), hopped a cab for $7 to Secrets and did a day pass (which I purchased ahead of time). Beautiful resort, great jerk chicken (from the cart guy), beautiful beach, great drinks. Wonderful time!

Jamaica is one of my favorite countries and so beautiful. Don't miss it!

Who did you contact about purchasing the day pass ahead of time?

Sharon

Montego Bay

Our all inclusive excursion to RIU hotel was just cancelled by Celebrity, so we booked the one to Drs Cave Beach instead...can someone tell me about restaurants located on this beach or beachside service? Thanks.