Belize Private Island?

Laszlo

I've searched and have not found much. Will their still be tenders that go to Belize city?

Just got back from a cruise that stopped in Belize. The NCL Dawn was at this port stop also. All ships tender into Belize as cruise ships are too big to come into dock at the pier. The tender from you ship could take anywhere from 20 - 30 minutes to get to the pier. It depends on how far out your boat is anchored out and on whether the waters are choppy or not. Some ships end up missing Belize as the water is too rough to tender in.

Once you get on the pier you can pay and take the Calypos train tour that goes into the city and gives you a little tour or do a ship sponsored excursion. I am sure there are cabs outside the entrance area to the port that you could hire. To be on the safe side, sign up for a tour on your ship or one of the tour people that operate inside of the pier.

Just got back from a cruise that stopped in Belize. The NCL Dawn was at this port stop also. All ships tender into Belize as cruise ships are too big to come into dock at the pier. The tender from you ship could take anywhere from 20 - 30 minutes to get to the pier. It depends on how far out your boat is anchored out and on whether the waters are choppy or not. Some ships end up missing Belize as the water is too rough to tender in.

Once you get on the pier you can pay and take the Calypos train tour that goes into the city and gives you a little tour or do a ship sponsored excursion. I am sure there are cabs outside the entrance area to the port that you could hire. To be on the safe side, sign up for a tour on your ship or one of the tour people that operate inside of the pier.

Thanks

Yes I have been there before. I was wondering if the ship is going to "Dock" at the new private island or anchor off it like all ships currently do in Belize. If if docks I guess they would have tenders going to the mainland

Thanks

Yes I have been there before. I was wondering if the ship is going to "Dock" at the new private island or anchor off it like all ships currently do in Belize. If if docks I guess they would have tenders going to the mainland

I've seen very little about this "new" private island and from my research NCL is still going to Belize City in 2015. When is this suppose to happen and is it official that it's going to happen.

Thanks

no details yet, but my guess would be that there would be transportation to the mainland, but it would be an optional "excursion" at an extra cost. The original development plan by another company had a bridge being built, but I don't think that will happen.

the CC article on this shows the cruise ship docked and mentions excursions to the mainland:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5487

Edited by bakerintn

I read the end of 2015. I also did not realize Harvest Cay where the private island will be is a good 60 miles south of Belize City. I wonder how this is going to "Help" Belize? How are you going to take an excursions to any ruins from there? The main reason my wife and I went on a cruise that stopped in Belize was to see the ruins "Riverboat and Ruins Tour"

Edited by Laszlo

I don't think that they will abandon Belize City. They will just have some ships stopping at this private island and perhaps some in Belize City, or both. Trips to the mainland from the private island could be other types of excursions such as ATVs and the like. I wonder what town is near onshore?

I wonder what town is near onshore?

Not much, see link

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Belize/@16.5117322,-88.2837402,6414m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8f5c5b3ec112faf9:0xf64a8a4d3f1ee34e

Looks like they are already getting ready for it……..http://www.ncl.com/port/harvest-caye-belize/excursions

Interesting Read…….http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2013/08/ncl-cruise-ship-harvest-caye-placencia-belize.html

Edited by Laszlo

I've seen very little about this "new" private island and from my research NCL is still going to Belize City in 2015. When is this suppose to happen and is it official that it's going to happen.

Winter 2015-16. The first ship will be the Star out of Tampa from yesterday's press release. All renderings have the ship docked at the island.

Winter 2015-16. The first ship will be the Star out of Tampa from yesterday's press release. All renderings have the ship docked at the island.

The Dawn out of NOLA will also be visiting Harvest Caye, Belize (Nov 15, 2015 through April 24, 2016) and the Jade from Houston (Nov 14, 2015 through April 9, 2016) from the same press release.

Edited by peg013

The Dawn out of NOLA will also be visiting Harvest Caye, Belize (Nov 15, 2015 through April 24, 2016) and the Jade from Houston (Nov 14, 2015 through April 9, 2016) from the same press release.

Exactly but the Star will be the first in late October.

Exactly but the Star will be the first in late October.

Sheesh -it's not like I said she wouldn't be first .....I just added that other ships will also be visiting just in case someone wants to visit the new island from one of the other ships.

Edited by peg013
Remove rolling eyes

Sheesh -it's not like I said she wouldn't be first :rolleyes: .....I just added that other ships will also be visiting just in case someone wants to visit the new island from one of the other ships.

Sheesh ??? I agreed with you and clarified my post. Don't understand the :rolleyes: