Car service to Breakaway

Sizzlechest

We had family members drop us off the day of the cruise.

At disembarkation, we called my car service when we were about to leave the ship.

Then he was there to meet us. But that was before you had to walk over to 12th Ave.

but it should be the same. 15-20 minutes after you get off the ship.

Of course, we don't rush leave first thing. I don't need to be the first one off the ship, and we don't have flights to catch.

YMMV.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

We had family members drop us off the day of the cruise.

At disembarkation, we called my car service when we were about to leave the ship.

Then he was there to meet us. But that was before you had to walk over to 12th Ave.

Of course, we don't rush leave first thing. I don't need to be the first one off the ship, and we don't have flights to catch.

YMMV.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Does everyone getting picked up have to go to 12th ave?:confused: And if so; how long has this been in effect and does it apply to the other cruise lines as well? Thanks!

Not sure about everyone.

We are not in a Suite, or Haven, so I don't know how it works for them.

My last cruise was in 2010, and we did not have to walk over to 12th Ave.

So, sometime in the past 4 years it changed.

Yes, it's for all cruise ships at Pier 88.

It's not hard to get to 12th Ave.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Not sure about everyone.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

In February, we got picked up at the terminal, not on 12th.

YMMV.

For the distance we have to travel, I would have to schedule that car in advance. I suppose I could call to tweak the time if it was far enough in advance. I'm assuming 2 hours to disembark. Does that sound about right?

You should book the car in advance. Try your best to give them a decent approx time (I remember I disembarked at around 9:30 am and was able to get my luggage and past customs my 10:15 am). Say you gave them a rough pickup time of 10:15 am - you should definitely call them ahead of that if you know you're running late or might be ahead of schedule. That should help as well.

Another option is to ask them to pick you up on 46 street near the corner of 12th ave/west side highway. It's just a short walk from the terminal and less crowded (and it's easier for the car to wait for you there)

When we disembark at the pier, we are on the lower, street level. To avoid crossing over 12th Avenue from the pier, take the elevator back up to the upper arrivals level. There are lots of cabs dropping off passengers, if you want to cab it home or to the airport. Don't know if a car service can wait there for you, though.

Also, the fastest way to get through customs is to grab a red cap when you locate your luggage before going through customs in the pier. They seem to have a special, shorter line they take you to. The red cap can also take you and your luggage upstairs by elevator to the arrivals level. It's really quick, for the price of a tip.

When we disembark at the pier, we are on the lower, street level. To avoid crossing over 12th Avenue from the pier, take the elevator back up to the upper arrivals level. There are lots of cabs dropping off passengers, if you want to cab it home or to the airport. Don't know if a car service can wait there for you, though.

Also, the fastest way to get through customs is to grab a red cap when you locate your luggage before going through customs in the pier. They seem to have a special, shorter line they take you to. The red cap can also take you and your luggage upstairs by elevator to the arrivals level. It's really quick, for the price of a tip.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is a red cap?

We will be sailing the Gem next year (our first cruise out of NYC) and plan on grabbing a taxi to the train station, but don't want to fight for a cab with 100 other people.

I'd like to hire a town car to drive us to the pier and back home. Has anyone done this before? How should I calculate the time of the return trip?

We have sailed out of NYC quite a few times. Mostly we drive in and park at the pier.

For a January, 2013 cruise (Carnival) we decided to try a Town Car. I have no idea why! Anyhow, we had our best driver ever both coming in from Hunterdon County, NJ and heading back home. We pre-booked times and asked that we be picked up at 9:00 am, both coming and going. At disembarkation, the driver called our cell phone at 8:30 and said he was parked across 12th avenue. We were told outside the terminal that he could pick us up there. We called him and it only took a few minutes for him to drive on over.

This past Super Bowl weekend we boarded the amazing Breakaway

for the two day CTN. Because we had been noticed that the Getaway was now the Bud Light Hotel....and that we would be checking in at one pier and boarding at another....... and we could not get any concrete answers about parking our car. We hired a town car. Not cheap. It cost as much as the cruise! We did it anyway.

We had the same driver. We asked for a 9:00 pick-up. Again he called us at 8:30 and we walked off the ship. We had no big luggage. He was parked at the corner of the FedEx building across 12th avenue. Lots of limos were parked there with their drivers waiting. The huge police presence allowed us to cross the road feeling safe and it was just as easy to meet the car there as it was to wait for the driver to make his way to the pier, even if they let him do it. They may not.

I think as long as you can handle your own luggage without a luggage cart, crossing the street, whether it is for a taxi or a town car is not a big deal. There is a taxi expediter on the corner across the street and it seems to move very quickly. The authorities want us out of there as much as we want to go (once we are off the ship that is!), there are thousands more already arriving.

Telling the driver 9 am has worked for us. Next time I will tell them 9:30. Give them the cell phone number you will actually answer. (I have issues in this area!) They will call you when they arrive. You should pre-book.

Enjoy!

Edited by jerseyralph

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is a red cap?

We will be sailing the Gem next year (our first cruise out of NYC) and plan on grabbing a taxi to the train station, but don't want to fight for a cab with 100 other people.

I think a red cap is a porter and sometimes they are harder to get than a taxi!

To get in a taxi you will cross over the highway (with police help) and connect with a taxi expeditor. That is where they are positioned. There are many taxis waiting. You will not have to fight for anything if you use the system as it is set up.

Porters will not cross the street. They will accompany you to your car if you are parked at the pier.

They move quickly. They rely heavily on tips.

Enjoy!

Edited by jerseyralph

You do not need to cross the street to get a taxi. All you have to do is take the elevator up to the pier level where you checked in, there are taxis lined up.. You can also be picked up there but they cannot park and wait for you there if they get there before you they will have to circle around until you get out.

To get in a taxi you will cross over the highway (with police help) and connect with a taxi expeditor. That is where they are positioned. There are many taxis waiting. You will not have to fight for anything if you use the system as it is set up.

Porters will not cross the street. They will accompany you to your car if you are parked at the pier.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help.:)

Sorry off topic op..Does anyone know for walk offs how late you can walk off the ship we will be on the March 30th sailing on the Breakaway....Thanks!
If you're interested in joining us, please see the links in my signature and stop the roll call to see what we've got planned!;) Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

Not sure about everyone.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

It's got off breakaway two weeks ago n did not have to walk over to 12th. We were picked up just outside terminal. But in July 2013 we did have to walk over to 12th. So who knows when it changes???!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For the distance we have to travel, I would have to schedule that car in advance. I suppose I could call to tweak the time if it was far enough in advance. I'm assuming 2 hours to disembark. Does that sound about right?

Just have your car service pick u up at 930 and call them after u go thru customs to let them know u will be out I. 5 minutes. It's very quick and easy.

Enjoy!

You can get a taxi upstairs and the one time my ride was across the highway the porter brought all of our luggage across the street without any problems.

Sorry off topic op..Does anyone know for walk offs how late you can walk off the ship we will be on the March 30th sailing on the Breakaway....Thanks!

You can walk off anytime if you are carrying your own

You can get a taxi upstairs and the one time my ride was across the highway the porter brought all of our luggage across the street without any problems.

Perhaps the porters have some power to cross or not to cross. Who knows? One thing we do know for sure......... the procedures are somewhat dependent upon who you talk to and the "guards at the gate".

One time we parked at the pier for embarkation and the outside elevator would not work. That time hauling our luggage was an interesting adventure. There were no porters helping arrivals on the parking deck or anyone to direct. Everyone was on their own. The drug sniffing dog just kept sniffing, the elevator just kept not moving and the crowd just built and built.

We have also experienced disembarking in NYC at a different pier than we embarked from. People were confused..... especially those who did not realize the change and panicked when there car seemed to not be where they left it.