What's your favorite specialty restaurant?

CarolinaMamma

I really like Cagney's and Le Bistro, I stop by twice per cruise. The Italian place and Moderno (the Chupicabra) I will stop by once per cruise. When with newbies to Japanness style table top cooking, I like to stop by Teppanyaki once.

I have always been very happy with the specialties. If you don't care for a particular type of food, just don't visit that resturant that specializes in it. If you don't care for asian cuisine, don't dine at Teppanyaki for example.

I am not a huge fan of seafood (other than haddock and clams), I feel it would be a waste of money and time for me to try out Ocean Blu on the newer ships.

Jon

I have been on the Spirit and Star. Very few men wear jackets. My husband wears kakis and button down or golf shirt. Nice jeans are fine for most specialty restaurants. I would stay away from shorts. Nice capris for women are fine with a nice top and sandals. On the Spirit I thought the Italian was the most relaxed. Le Bistro is our favorite, Cagney's 2nd. Can't wait to try Moderno next week on the Jewel!

Thanks, that works well for us.

Sorry for the interruption. Enjoying reading the restaurant experiences.

Edited by AweighToSea

It was Homard Rotis Aux Beuree (Buttered Lobster Tail). They took the lobster meat out of the tail, cut it into smaller pieces and simmered it in butter sauce and then poured it back into the shell. My husband had the Fruits De Mer (also usually an upcharge, but not for UDP) which was lobster and other sea food in a puff pastry. He loved that.

Oooooooooo, no up charge for UDP for the buttered lobster tail!!! I know what I'm having this Thanksgiving!!! :D

Thank you for the info!

Edited by Out to sea!

My husband and I just got off the Spirit last Monday. We did the UDP and really enjoyed Cagney's (DH's favorite-He loves the filet mignon) and Le Bistro (my favorite-the lobster dish was excellent and not extra for UDP). I had really enjoyed the Italian Restaurant on Pride of America and was looking forward to it on the Spirit. I was very dissapointed. It just wasn't very good.

We didn't realize until we were on board that Teppanyaki was included in the UDP since we were unable to reserve it online in advance. They only have one Teppanyaki table on the ship which holds 10 people at a time. It was offered on sea days for lunch and we booked that once. It was included in the UDP. The Sushi bar and noodle bar were also open for lunch on sea days. Since those are ala carte you would get a discount with UDP.

We found that in Cagney's, Teppanyaki, and Le Bistro we were EACH given a check a the end of the meal that had a zero balance but a place to include extra gratuity if desired. In Shogun and La Trattoria no check was given and we were told that we were good to go.

Have a great cruise and enjoy the specialty restaurants!

Thank you! Very helpful informationl and thanks, all of you, for your opinions. I did not mean to start an argument. I realize everyone is going to have different opinions, and it's helpful to hear all of them.

We are currently living in Budapest, and it is all about pork and poultry here, no good steak or seafood, so we are eager to eat those things on our cruise. We do have good Italian food here, and have been to italy, so not quite as eager to try that on NCL unless it is really extraordinary.

Here's what I ended up booking.

La Trattoria - 1 night (first night, and if it turns out to be better than expected, we can go back.)

Shogun - 2 nights

Cagney's - 3 nights

Le Bistro - 3 nights. (Great to know no upcharge with the UDP!)

Thanks for letting me know sushi bar is open for lunchl my boys love sushi, so we may give that a try. I would imagine Teopanyaki is probably similar to Kanki or Kyoto or the chain Japanese restaurants on land. Fun to watch, but maybe not the best Jaaoanese food. We may try it for lunch though.

I will add, you are making a good decision about the specialty dining rooms, but be prepared, they are upscale, especially Le Bistro and the service is slow and relaxed. You might, depending on the age of the kids find they will get a little antsy. Our granddaughter choose to feed her little girl at the buffet most nights and they take her to the kids camp while she and hubby enjoyed quiet time and a more relaxed meal.

Thanks for that tip. My 10 and 14 year old boys actually love adult food and are used to sitting through long dinners on non-freestyle cruise lines, so they should be fine (though the 14 year old will most likely skip dessert and head for the teen club)

My 7 year old daughter, however, does not appreciate good food and prefers to order off the kids' menu. I may give her the option of going to the kids club or eating with us. Sometimes she is fine sitting through a long dinner just reading a book, but she will definitely buy in and be more patient if eating with us is her choice. I guess it all depends on how loud and crazy the kids club is and whether she wants to be there! On some cruise lines she has found it to be a mad house and doesn't really enjoy it.

Thank you! Very helpful informationl and thanks, all of you, for your opinions. I did not mean to start an argument. I realize everyone is going to have different opinions, and it's helpful to hear all of them.

We are currently living in Budapest, and it is all about pork and poultry here, no good steak or seafood, so we are eager to eat those things on our cruise. We do have good Italian food here, and have been to italy, so not quite as eager to try that on NCL unless it is really extraordinary.

Here's what I ended up booking.

La Trattoria - 1 night (first night, and if it turns out to be better than expected, we can go back.)

Shogun - 2 nights

Cagney's - 3 nights

Le Bistro - 3 nights. (Great to know no upcharge with the UDP!)

Thanks for letting me know sushi bar is open for lunchl my boys love sushi, so we may give that a try. I would imagine Teopanyaki is probably similar to Kanki or Kyoto or the chain Japanese restaurants on land. Fun to watch, but maybe not the best Jaaoanese food. We may try it for lunch though.

As an FYI, teppenyaki is not open for lunch, same with the other specialty restaurants (except possibly the sushi place). They are open for dinner only. If you go to the sushi place, while it is not included in the UDP, you do get a 20% discount with the UDP.

As an FYI, teppenyaki is not open for lunch, same with the other specialty restaurants (except possibly the sushi place). They are open for dinner only. If you go to the sushi place, while it is not included in the UDP, you do get a 20% discount with the UDP.

I believe Teppenyaki is sometimes available for lunch. Someone earlier on this thread has said it was on the Spirit.

We ate at Teppanyaki for lunch on the last sea day of our cruise on the Spirit. Twelve noon.

We ate at Teppanyaki for lunch on the last sea day of our cruise on the Spirit. Twelve noon.

Well, I can only pass on what I was told by an NCL rep. I specifically asked if any of the specialty restaurants covered by the UDP were open at lunch (so I could use to then as well. I was told no, the only specialty restaurant nornally open during lunch was the sushi place and you only receive a 20% discount, otherwise all specialty restaurants were only open for dinner.

Actually, I'd be happy to see the Teppenaki or any other specialty restaurant open for lunch so I could get more out of my UDP.

Always take whatever you are told by NCL reps with caution. Often people post here what they gave been told by them only for it to be demonstrated that they are wrong.

I've heard a few reports about Moderno opening at lunch time and I've eaten at the noodle bar for lunch a few times (also not included in the UDP).

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Shadow205']Could someone please post the a la carte menu for the Getaway? I have not been able to find any of the a la carte menu's. Thank you in advance.[/quote]
CC member johnql [URL="http://s636.photobucket.com/user/johnql/library/Getaway%20Cruise%20030814/Menus%20and%20Price%20Lists?sort=2&page=1"]posted some here[/URL]. Scroll through the pages to see pictures of the menus.

[quote name='LrgPizza']CC member johnql [URL="http://s636.photobucket.com/user/johnql/library/Getaway%20Cruise%20030814/Menus%20and%20Price%20Lists?sort=2&page=1"]posted some here[/URL]. Scroll through the pages to see pictures of the menus.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!