New to Freestyle, dining question..

SWACK

We have done both, shared a table with people we didn't know, and ate by ourselves. You can do either, and NO it did not take *more time* to find another couple to set with us, they were seated almost immediately after we were, every time we have offered to share a table.

I, too, dislike freestyle cruising, but I like NCL. As a solo traveler, I hate dining by myself, and every time.....every time....I have asked to dine with others, the hostess tells me people prefer to dine by themselves. No one on my roll call has invited me to join them. I'm hoping for some luck in the studio lounge. ImageUploadedByForums1394936535.416112.jpg.e483b75018fdbd724d4d6e6ba73ddb0c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow... defensive much??

Yes, I have cruised, even once with NCL, but not with the Freestyle concept. I'm not even sure if they have all tables for 2, large tables, anything like that.

But I'll tell you one thing for sure.... if the attitudes expressed here represent the average NCL fan, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy to sit alone, and book another line in the future..

I don't think the attitudes here are those of the average NCL fan. Personally, my DDP and I prefer to eat by ourselves, but don't begrudge anyone eating with whomever they want, whenever, wherever.

Please go on your cruise with an open mind (which I'm sure you had planned on doing anyway), and if you would, please let us know what you thought of Freestyle, as well as your experiences eating with others at your meals. Now that the search function is back on Cruise Critic, others will be able to then find your post and have something to rely on when they have the same question.

--Michael

Wow... defensive much??

Yes, I have cruised, even once with NCL, but not with the Freestyle concept. I'm not even sure if they have all tables for 2, large tables, anything like that.

But I'll tell you one thing for sure.... if the attitudes expressed here represent the average NCL fan, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy to sit alone, and book another line in the future..

I don't remember ever beeing asked if I wanted to sit with others, we have always had a table for 2. But I remember someone who was alone was asked if they would like to sit with others.

They have many different sized tables........:)

The second poster was correct that if your experience requires dining with others every day, NCL is not the best choice. Our experience on several/many NCL ships now is this. If you want to be seated with others, you will be told to sit near the hostess desk and wait. They will then ask others checking in if they would like to share. On several occasions we noticed a couple waiting for someone to share wait a considerable period of time and finally give up and sit alone. It appears that many sailing on NCL are either a family/friends group sailing together or couples. In our case, we never share. It is exactly the same as when home. When we go to a restaurant, we would never share a table with strangers and cannot imagine being asked to do so.

For the poster that said you can make a reservation for the same table with the same staff at a given time, I don't believe this to be true. You may now be able (not in the past) to make a reservation for a specific time, usually very early or late, but not with the same staff or table. Staff is rotated throughout the ship to all the restaurants.

Thanks for the response on dietary concerns.

My DW prefer to sit alone, and it is funny how sometimes the people you are stuck with at the table can actually make it so unpleasant that you avoid using the MDR. It has only happened to us once and we asked to change tables. Who knows I might be that guy. We find we do enjoy talking to people at Lido buffets ( I think there is less pressure on my DW knowing she doesn't have to worry about me embarrassing her night after night..lol)

On our cruise, we were travelling with small children & so were not asked if we wanted to sit with others. We specifically chose NCL for freestyle.

My dad, on the other hand, really enjoys meeting other people at dinner, and a more formal cruise, and specifically chooses other lines because of it. I believe Princess is his favorite. He would have come with us on NCL to be with us, but wouldn't choose it on his own.

So, while I think you could find others to dine with on NCL, if that is important to you, you may wish to do as my father does and choose a line where it is more the norm as it will be simpler.

Either way, a cruise is a cruise and if you go planning to have fun, you will! :)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

When we were on the Jewel Repo cruise last fall my dd, her bff, and I would ask at every dinner to share and our request was filled immediately. It was usually at a busy time and there was a waiting line so I think they were glad to be able to seat us quickly. We had some very interesting meals to say the least!

When my dh and I went on the Dawn in February we always asked to be seated alone and it was never a problem. The line and wait times seemed much shorter than on the Jewel cruise so I am not sure we would have been as readily seated at a shared table because it didn't seem to be a popular option.

It was usually at a busy time and there was a waiting line so I think they were glad to be able to seat us quickly. We had some very interesting meals to say the least!

That's good to hear. We may plan accordingly.

And as to interesting meals, so much the better. The nice thing here will be if we hit a really strange one, we can move on.

The shared meals have made some of our cruises memorable.. some good and some bad, but they all make memories.

Once we were seated with 8 others, and only one spoke any English. Once our entire table shared every shore excursion I had arranged, and we had a great time. And then there was the never to be forgotten Father/son bickering team.. The table finally conspired to sit in such a way that they put them on opposite ends of the table, and then they were happy and interesting to be with!

My wife and I have been married for 35 years, read the same newspaper, watch the same shows and go to the same places... Our version of 'swinging' is meeting new people at dinner on a cruise! :rolleyes:

I think people make too much of the Freestyle concept. Personally, DW and I love the idea.

After cruises on other lines, we decided that NCL's system more suited us.

I really don't think of us as snooty, but we have had some not enjoyable tablemates on other cruises. It only takes one couple to spoil the dining experience for the entire table. Plus, we don't necessarily eat at the same time and the same place on land each night.

If we meet someone interesting on the cruise, there is always the option

asking them to join us.

We're first timers and enjoy eating with and meeting new people.. is that not an option, are you always seated by yourself?

When you go to the dining room, you can tell the receptionist your preferences and they will do their best to accomodate you.

When sharing a table, they will fill that table before starting to seat others at shared tables, so the wait period is usually very short.

The beauty of freestyle is you can meet people at various activities on the ship, and if you decide to have dinner together, it is very simple to tell the receptionist you want a table for however many people you have in your group.

NCL IS for you if you want freedom of choice.

On my first NCL cruise, about 10 years ago, we were always asked if we wanted to sit with others.

In the last two years we have never been asked. Things have changed.

In 2009 I was on a 7 day Dawn cruise - travelling solo and never once was I asked to join another table at MDR. Didn't know that I could do that!

This thread helps me to see that I need to be more intentional is saying that I would enjoy sharing a table. I also am quite comfortable eating on my own - but it would have been fun to sit with others from time to time.

Clearly you do need to speak up. We shall see on my next cruise! :)

From my recollection you can ask for a shared table with others.

I personally just like showing up and eating whenever I wish so it's nice that NCL makes it easy (though I didn't have trouble with this on Celebrity either). We also prefer to dine alone since we interact with so many people outside of vacation so having a little couples time is always nice for us. To each their own though, of course :p

SwedishWeave hit the nail on the head. For several cruises my wife and I chose to sit alone, then on our last cruise (PC repo) we changed things up. The hostess asked us if we minded sitting with other couples, and we took the bait. Best thing we ever did! She seated us with 4 other couples, and had a great experience.

Rather than waiting for the hostess to ask, we told her we would be willing to sit with others. We were always seated quickly, while those that wanted a table for two had to wait.

Sometimes you have to be proactive, they don't always ask if you want to be seated with someone else. :D

Swack...don't let the few negative responses taint your opinion of NCL, most who cruise NCL are not like them.;)

Thanks Oldgoat (like the moniker)

It's like life... there are those who bring joy to your life when they enter it, and those who do so when they leave..

I'll definitely try that method...