Tour waitlisted

Katie333

We usually do a combination of DIY and private tours with the odd ship's tour mixed in. For our upcoming cruise, we were getting a freebie tour from our TA, but didn't know until just a week ago which port it would be for. As such, we held off booking the 2 ships tours until then. In hindsight of course, I could have booked and cancelled later, though Princess makes the whole process much easier than HAL and I didn't want to fuss with it.

At any rate, we got the one tour no problem, but the other one has been waitlisted. I put myself on the wishlist for it, and we'll see what happens.

Has anyone experienced this and did you end up getting onto the tour? I'm more curious than anything as I'm sure we'll find something else to do.

It all depends on how many people are on the waitlist. And if enough people are on the waitlist -- if the port can arrange for another bus.

One time in Alaska, there was a long waitlist for the Wildlife and Sea Otter tour in Sitka. Many people were disappointed as the port was not able to arrange for another boat.

Hope you have good luck getting your excursion.

So far we have had mostly good luck with waitlisted tours. The last time was a couple of months ago, and I received an email within an hour or two that we were booked on the tour.

We were also waitlisted on our recent cruise, and unfortunately we could not both go, so we skipped the tour. There was one opening due to a cancellation. Shore Excursions tried to get a second plane, but it did not work out. Our alternate tour was very good though.

Like you we are also wait listed for a tour, in the past we have always gotten on our wait lists. I suppose it depends on the tour, so there is really no sure way to know if you will get your tour.

Have plan B in place if things don't work out in your favor. Wish you luck and a great cruise.

Thanks everyone for your input and well wishes.

This is definitely one of those tours that is capacity controlled, and I think it's likely we won't in fact get it.

One last question - for those who successfully got their waitlisted excursion, did you find out in advance via email from HAL, or not until you got onboard? If it was onboard, do you think there is any advantage to checking in with the ships' tour office?

We are travelling with another couple and they got 'in' so I will keep trying. We do have our back up plan figured out as well so I'm sure we'll have a great time either way. :)

I assume the shorex you are waitlisted for is on the N.A. in the Med (?).

I was on the N.A. in the Med last summer. I did not book any shorex in advance on the website. Once onboard, I booked two and was waitlisted. I found that the situation was very fluid. Many people book a number of excursions as they (understandably) want to do and see as much as possible. However, on a port intensive cruise after X number of ports in X number of days, they feel energy flagging and need some downtime, so cancel.

If you really want the excursion, I do think it is worth your while to stop by the shorex desk, introduce yourself and make sure you are on the waitlist. After that, I would stop by once a day, just to ask in a friendly fashion "how the waitlist is going." This will give you an idea as to whether to go with Plan B.

I got both of the excursions I wanted, which of course is no guarantee you will get yours, but fingers crossed for a happy resolution and a great cruise.

All the best.

(Another) Kate

I was recently waitlisted for a tour when my knees were causing problems and I decided I could not physically do the tour I had pre-booked. When I tried to make the change, they told me at the Shore Ex office I probably would not get on the tour I now wanted but they would waitlist me.

When I did not hear back from them by the morning of the tour, I decided to go down to the lounge where the tours were to meet. I let the staff there know that I knew I was just waitlisted but I was there, ready to disembark, and willing to jump in if there should be a last minute cancellation. And there was! Because I was the person there, I got it.