Lava flows

sfpen66

We are cruising from LA to Hawaii next month. My DH wants to know if we will be able to see any lava flows from the ship in the evening or very early in the morning. So now I am asking the pros for help. Please.

The only active volcano in Hawaii is on the Big Island and last October the flows changed significantly. Prior to then you could see lava coming down the volcano, onto the coastal plains and flowing into the ocean. The lava flow route has changed direction and I don't think visibility is very good (if at all) currently from the water. Even air views are more limited I believe ... with more views of the smoke from burning vegetation rather than of the lava. Here's more information - this is a good site to check for updates prior to your trip: http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Not sure if your cruise ship will turn around to give both sides of ship a view NCL does

if lava is flowing but it's been areal hit and miss over the last couple years.

Three trips 2 weeks each and only saw lava once and that was 2008.

Years 2010 and 2012 saw nothing , no big deal as we've got to see once.

As others have said, there's currently no lava flow that is visible from the sea or any easily accessible viewing point. The park is still a fascinating place to visit even with no active flows, so don't rule out a tour! Also, flows can change at any time, so don't give up hope. Here's another link for current activity information:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php

Go most of the way down the page to the "Viewing Summary" section. Also click on the "Photos and Video" tab at the top of page - some of them are spectacular!

Thanks for all the responses and the links. We appreciate them. We are going to explore Volcanoes NP on the day we are in Hilo. We have rented a car. But we were hoping to see it at night from the ship. We have our fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew over the lava fields with Safari Helicopter on our March 5-20 cruise. They said that the lava is flowing underneath the surface right now, but we were able to see several areas where the lava came to the surface. So if you want to see lava, you will have to fly over it unless something changes.

We are cruising from LA to Hawaii next month. My DH wants to know if we will be able to see any lava flows from the ship in the evening or very early in the morning. So now I am asking the pros for help. Please.

Unfortunately, you'll be out of luck at this time. Check the Parks Service website mentioned above before you leave...this can always change if Madame Pele decides to put on show.

There have been some recent TA posts from people staying at the Volcano House about seeing "red glow" from sunset into the night from the volcano. That would be pretty cool to see if you can spend some evening hours at the park. There are supposedly two lava flow areas, but, if you check the maps, they are not going toward the ocean and are reported as being in areas not open to tours/the public. Hubby tends to worry about making it back to the ship, so doubt we would attempt seeing the "glow", even with our 9:20 back on board time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We got to see the lava flow when we were on the Island Princess back in 2005/06. Very awesome. But unfortunately, you can't plan for what Pele decides to do.

There's a great Hawaiian cultural program on the Princess ships that do Hawaii. You might be missing out of Elua, as I think they're now on the Sapphire going to Japan. Hopefully there will be the Aloha 'Oe show (passengers who have taken the hula or uke classes perform at the end of the cruise) anyway.