RCC Shore Excursions

So we are off on Serenade of the Seas on 11.10.14 for our first ever cruise and I am wondering if there is anyone else who is confused about shore excursions?? I'm seriously hoping that it's not just me !!! I would be very interested to hear any advice or comments about whether, in general, these excursions are good value or with a good deal of planning & organisational ability, we could see the sites we want to by organising it ourselves. I was all excited when I downloaded the very long brochure of shore excursions and then started putting sticky notes on the ones I was interested in until I actually sat down and added up how much this was all going to cost and then I started getting worried. What do you think?? Would love to hear from you.

This is the Greek Islands in October? As an American, I do recognize that I'm separated from my English speaking brethren by a common language! (In the US, that would be 10/11/14.)

Cruise Critic has a board on the Greek Isles: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

I'd start there. There may be private tours that give you more options, but they may not save money. For instance, it's been a long time, but it's a decent drive from the port of Kusadasi to Ephesus, but Ephesus is not to be missed!

The folks on the ports of call board can give you an indication of how hard it is to arrange tours on your own in each port. I'd really start there...

Ships excursions are generally more expensive, but you have to do nothing but show up when and where they tell you....they take care of EVERYTHING!!

If you have time to research your ports, it's usually quite easy to do the things you want on your own...but you do have to do the research! So, before you start booking anything, get a guidebook, and read up on where you're going. That way, you can make an informed decision!

Once you decide WHAT you want to do, then you can figure out HOW to do it!

Edited by cb at sea

I think you have to look at the options at each port.

A lot of ports you can do yourself with the help of a good guide book the Greek Islands are wonderful.

We always take ships excursions if we need to go about an hour from the ship as they are guaranteed to get you back in time and from past experience will hold the ship if the tour is late back ( this happened when we were nearly an hour late back from Seville due to traffic problems ) a a lot on here do private tours but it's all down to cost,and personal choice.

Think you have to do what's right for you and your budget your best to have a look on these boards before you decide on anything there's lots of good tips.

Head to the roll call which has others from your cruise on it..... link here.

There will no doubt be others there who are planning independent excursions and will be looking to make groups.

Ooops..... just seen you found them! Have a super time :)

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We'd take a private tour only if we're in a English speaking port and going to a relatively populated area. (In other words - if push came to shove I could find a taxi back before sail away)

If we're leaving the city for the "wilderness" we always book with the ship. Bottom line is that if you are on a "ship excursion" as opposed to a "private tour" the ship WILL WAIT FOR YOU if there's a problem and you're running late.

Case in point - in Belize our "ship excursion" tour to the rain forest & Mayan ruins got hung up on the way back. The ship was scheduled to sail at 5pm (and in Belize it's a 20 minute tender ride back to the ship first)

At 5 pm our tour bus was sitting stopped in downtown Belize rush hour traffic.

You can't imagine what peace of mind it was for the tour guide to confirm that her supervisor was standing at the dock with the RCCL rep - holding a tender just for us.

Peace of mind was well worth a few extra bucks. :):)

We have taken many ship shore excursions and plenty on our own. Some of them we have booked before leaving and some we have just got off the ship and bartered with a taxi to take us where we wanted to go. The least expensive ones and some of the best have been the ones that we just got off the ship and got a taxi. You have to be comfortable do this type of thing.