Daredevil Evicted For Jumping Off Cruise Ship

Fla Mike

In the article he says "they flew him home". Assuming "they" means Carnival, why would they do that?

I'd of let him find his own way home.

The cruise line has a legal responsibility to ensure that their guests leave the foreign port and return home in a timely manner. They had to fly him home but I suspect that they also billed him for it. They certainly didn't want him sailing back with them and trying this stunt again.

Edited by gtalum

It appears he can barely swim. Hey moron, if you are going to jump into the ocean a quarter of a mile or more out, then learn to swim first.

You must make your parents proud!

I was thinking the same thing.

What an idiot.

Maybe he should try Windstar where they let down the back and you can actually jump off.

What bothers me is that he was actually smiling about it. This stunt was not funny. He could have been seriously hurt, and then tried to sue Carnival for his injuries. Let's use our "smarts" people!

Problem is, some (such as this guy), don't have any "smarts" to use! :(

Edited by Out to sea!

And the fact that their were people standing there and no one tried to stop him or talk him out of it. Maybe they were part of it and if so they should have been put off the ship also.

This is crazy. Bystanders have no obligation to stop or talk a dumb guy out of jumping. If they encouraged him to jump, you might have something.

Some people just like doing crazy stuff they just get a rush out of it. I do think he could have been hurt but he might just be one of those people that does crazy stuff like this. I've jumped off of pretty big cliffs in a lake before but nothing as crazy as this guy though. At least he knew the water wouldn't be too shallow though. Hopefully he at least did it at the last port though.

The stupid "Me" generation. They think they are invincible and don't think about their actions at all.

Guaranteed if things went wrong it would have delayed everybody's cruise and then him or his family would have sued Carnival.

I'm just glad I was never young.

I don't know if this is a "ME" generation thing. It really does sound like something Yuri Gagarin would have done. People like him used to be recommended to be astronauts if they were in the military. Now they get shamed for it. People have doing crazy stuff like this for a very long time.

It appears he can barely swim. Hey moron, if you are going to jump into the ocean a quarter of a mile or more out, then learn to swim first.

I'm not defending this fewl in any way, but the distance to shore here is nowhere near a quarter mile.....maybe a tenth of a mile tops. This was at Grand Turk and the ship was docked on the shore-side of the pier.

Still an amazingly stupid thing to do no matter the distance.

That reef or shelf he got to looked scary...who knows how "deep" without being in trouble underwater too..hitting your head..gee..and that guy swimming for his hat was a good warning too..where huge ships come in and out and maybe can't see you...it is all just too much..and this is going to sound ridiculous..but that kind of jumping (not from multiple vacationers on a cruise ship) for instance needs a) to be cleared with depth studies and b) with his swimming skills or even better needs a life jacket too.

That reef or shelf he got to looked scary...who knows how "deep" without being in trouble underwater too..hitting your head..gee..and that guy swimming for his hat was a good warning too..where huge ships come in and out and maybe can't see you...it is all just too much..and this is going to sound ridiculous..but that kind of jumping (not from multiple vacationers on a cruise ship) for instance needs a) to be cleared with depth studies and b) with his swimming skills or even better needs a life jacket too.

The area where the ship docks is deep. It looks like it was dredged. We have snorkeled this area and it is pretty cool to swim to the edge of the reef to where it breaks straight down. We ar talking VERTIGO!.

If the ship was docked when Dufus jumped he might have had to swim 150 yards.

The area where the ship docks is deep. It looks like it was dredged. We have snorkeled this area and it is pretty cool to swim to the edge of the reef to where it breaks straight down. We ar talking VERTIGO!.

If the ship was docked when Dufus jumped he might have had to swim 150 yards.

Thanks so much "vertigo" is right..it was ridiculous to say anyway..and all that is such an optical illusion..we have a tiny channel with a lake boat on a cabin and I know it has to be unbelievably deeper for ships. Over 30 years on this lake folks have passed more and more frequently as crowds grow and people on personal watercraft increases to almost zero R and R in the summer.

And the deaths due to dare devils with snow and avalanche here..you may have heard the avalanche that killed one woman in a modest neighborhood in Missoula , Mt as 2 families homes were demolished due to a snowboarder off the track above them, they always said "it would never happen at this place"..and my nephews now will finally stop carreying shovels even where you "can" I think when skiing...staying off of ungroomed slopes..I have one in a back brace and very lucky with a toboggan accident in December.

"Dufus" is right..I hope he learns and curtails the bucket list..would be good to be curtailed on one cruise line for life..minimal punishment..and maybe wisdom for future folks..again thanks again...sarah

Edited by sjn911

I agree he should have got kicked off of the ship like he did(and im sure he probably realized that was a very possible consequence) but the jump itself wasn't all that dangerous. We jump from cliffs higher than that all of the time at the lake. If the water was deep enough for the ship to be in, then it's safe enough for a 25-40 foot jump.:D

In the article he says "they flew him home". Assuming "they" means Carnival, why would they do that?

I'd of let him find his own way home.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That makes me wonder if this really happened. Could this just be video spliced together? Was this reported anywhere else? It's pretty surprising that no one mentioned this happening on their cruise on CC, and that the video is only surfacing now 3 weeks later.

I don't think this was posted yet...

Looks like it was off the Conquest.

I do not know what to say, I'm sure he lost that "cat that ate the canary" look when he got picked up by the police and booted off.

http://www.crew-center.com/daredevil-evicted-jumping-cruise-ship

Why did Carnival fly him home. He should have had to pay for his flight for being so stupid. Oops didn't see that already said

Edited by BonnieSte

Wow, Carnival must have started serving bowls of STUPID at the buffet and I can only assume it tasted good and he went back for seconds.

Not only did he endanger his own life but the lifes of the people that would have had to go in after him had he injured himself. Thank GOD he did not hurt himself.

He should be banned from all cruise lines.