Italian restaurant

meow!

jroettger,

i completely agree. im sure SS put a lot of thought into changing the format of the terrace cafe. for my part, i would certainly prefer an ala carte menu to the set ones they had previously. i undeerstand others may not. however, lets wait to see how it turns out before we start to criticize.

I think the issue here for some people is not whether the food in the "new" Terrace will be acceptable. I do not doubt that it will be -- and time will show.

What I (and others) object to is the inevitable loss of variety -- the Asian nights, the French nights, the Caribbean nights, etc.

It is clear that such variety will be lost in the new arrangement. And one doesn't have to wait to test that premise.

I think this is a very disappointing development -- probably another "enhancement" of the SS experience which, conveniently, saves money for SS.

What I (and others) object to is the inevitable loss of variety -- the Asian nights, the French nights, the Caribbean nights, etc.

On the other hand, if the Italian restaurant offers more choices than the old "chef's menu" format did, you'll be getting a different kind of variety.

In many ways, the "theme night" format reminds me of the parties from my growing-up years around Navy officers' clubs. There's nothing wrong with that, but maybe it's more suited to an officers' club (or a country club) than to a cruise line that wants to provide a memorable and sophisticated culinary experience in its alternative restaurants.

I think this is a very disappointing development -- probably another "enhancement" of the SS experience which, conveniently, saves money for SS.

It may save some money, but probably not as much as some Cruise Critic members believe. (After all, an alternative restaurant on a cruise ship isn't like a land-based catering operation where staff can be hired part-time or on an "as needed" basis.) I think it's more likely that Silversea is simply evolving to meet the needs of what it hopes will be an increasingly younger and international audience.

I also think there's some merit in having the Terrace Cafe open only on some evenings. A restaurant that's packed, bustling, and alive with energy provides a better experience for most users than one that's only half-full. If Silversea can adjust its Terrace Cafe evening calendar to the demand on any given voyage (more nights open on crowded voyages, fewer nights open on quieter voyages), then it will be better able to create a lively atmosphere and a great experience on the nights when the Terrace Cafe is open.

Getting back to the question of how the decision was reached, I think it's a mistake to assume that it was purely a response to passenger surveys. Market research is a useful tool, but true leadership is proactive, not reactive. Sometimes leaders need to make decisions based on their own vision, judgment, and experience. I suspect that the changes in the Terrace Cafe are part of a larger vision and strategy--and in any case, change happens, and it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I haven't been impressed by the theme dinners at the Terrace cafe, so a speciality restaurant may be a good thing. However, there's the issue of variety. The Silversea passengers tend to take longer cruise. No matter how well cooked, it gets tiresome having only French and Italian food for 30 or 50 days straight. We Americans, especially in big cities, tend to eat more ethnic food than most Europeans. So it's a concern.

Anyway, with the lack of people from SS contributing here, your representations of the alternative view and indeed probably SS's views, add a balance to the debate.

I'm glad that my comments add balance, but I have no idea if they represent Silversea's views. They're just my own thoughts. Hey, someone has to play devil's advocate. :-)

Different cruises....different experiences!

When we cruised in May the Terrace was fully booked and we had great difficulty in experiencing it. We were told that many people book for every evening when they embark and then look at the menus daily and decide whether to dine there or cancel. So we had to waitlist for availability!!!!!

On previous cruises guests could only reserve tables on a daily basis which seems much fairer.

I'm always interested in UK1's comments and am curious as to how many times Jeff has sailed with Silverseas, which ships and which itineraries?

this discussion once again reminds me that too much analysis can destroy the anticipation for ones cruise. most people who get on a SS ship have never heard of cruise critic and are blissfully unaware of all the sturm and drang over all the things many of us here obsess about. i believe theyre much better off. (i know.....why do i keep coming back? good question!!!)

this discussion once again reminds me that too much analysis can destroy the anticipation for ones cruise. most people who get on a SS ship have never heard of cruise critic and are blissfully unaware of all the sturm and drang over all the things many of us here obsess about. i believe theyre much better off. (i know.....why do i keep coming back? good question!!!)

No one is forcing you.

It would be interesting (if only from a sociological point of view) why the Terrace Cafe isn't more popular in the evenings. Is it because most passengers prefer to choose from an "a la carte" menu instead of being largely at the mercy of the chef? Or could it be that the Terrace Cafe is less "social" than the main restaurant, where no reservations are required and passengers can easily get together in ad hoc groups without regard for questions like "What's tonight's theme?" or "Can John get spaghetti and meatballs?" or "Is fish on the menu? Jane can't stand seafood."

I can only speak for myself, but as much as I'd like to dine in the Terrace Cafe more often, I usually only manage one or two nights per cruise due to the fixed menu. Being a quasi-vegetarian, I can only indulge when the menu includes no or only one "offensive" course (which I can sit out). Because the fixed menu is an integral component of the experience, many potential diners may likewise decide to opt out if one or more courses are not to their liking.

In hindsight, maybe what I should do is see if a portion of whichever course I find irresistable is available ala carte in the restaurant or my suite!

Bechi

I agree with what you have said. The Terrace was half empty most of the nights we were on the Shadow last December. We looked at the menu daily and decided to go there twice only based on whether we liked that particular set menu. So, instead of its serving all kinds of international food (the chefs may not be really trained to prepare Asian food, for example, which is readily availabe on the U.S. west coast and of high quality), it might be better if they stick to their own specialty (in this case Italian), offer menu choice (instead of set), and keep it open MOST nights (we actually prefer a half empty restaurant if that happens -- it is nice to enjoy privacy in a public place!)

I agree with what you have said. The Terrace was half empty most of the nights we were on the Shadow last December. We looked at the menu daily and decided to go there twice only based on whether we liked that particular set menu. So, instead of its serving all kinds of international food (the chefs may not be really trained to prepare Asian food, for example, which is readily availabe on the U.S. west coast and of high quality), it might be better if they stick to their own specialty (in this case Italian), offer menu choice (instead of set), and keep it open MOST nights (we actually prefer a half empty restaurant if that happens -- it is nice to enjoy privacy in a public place!)

They are trained to prepare Asian food. Think back to the lunch in the Terrace. Great stir fries, and other great Asian dishes. Anyway - it's not rocket science and they're more Asians in the kitchens than French or Italians!

We were told that many people book for every evening when they embark and then look at the menus daily and decide whether to dine there or cancel.

That's a good point. I can remember that my wife and I onced booked a theme night early in the cruise but cancelled after we finally got to see the menu. I'll bet this happens fairly often--and it wouldn't surprise me if some guests were simply "no shows," which would have resulted in empty seats instead of the maitre d's contacting guests on the waiting list.

Silversea is adding kitchen equipment (I have no idea what) in order to make the Italian kitchen more authentic and therefore providing a better Italian dinner experience (hopefully). On several of my various Silversea cruises there were only 12 to 15 people in the Terrace for dinner. (I was surprised that they still had the dinner.) A number of people I know do not like the idea of a fixed menu. I am told that the new Italian menu will be a la carte with multiple choices per course (as well as daily specials) which may make it a better experience for some. I am happy to wait and see and then decide if it was a good or bad change.

Richard

Specialty Cruise

Anyone who has attended a galley brunch or looked behind the scenes in the Terrace would know that a non-trivial portion of the kitchen staff is Asian. And I am not referring only to the dishwashers. In fact, there are Asian chefs in the crew kitchen to cater to the many Asian crew aboard. A lack of talent in preparing Asian cuisine is hardly the problem. In any case, the Restaurant seems to manage to have French and other ethic focus to the dinners on special nights.

Silversea is adding kitchen equipment (I have no idea what) in order to make the Italian kitchen more authentic and therefore providing a better Italian dinner experience (hopefully). On several of my various Silversea cruises there were only 12 to 15 people in the Terrace for dinner. (I was surprised that they still had the dinner.) A number of people I know do not like the idea of a fixed menu. I am told that the new Italian menu will be a la carte with multiple choices per course (as well as daily specials) which may make it a better experience for some. I am happy to wait and see and then decide if it was a good or bad change.

Richard

Specialty Cruise

Perhaps they will make the Terrace dinners into an event like Don Vito's (I hope I have that name right) on the late RSSC Diamond. There were singing waiters, lots of noise, a festive if not raucous atmosphere. Actually, I doubt that SS will go this route. But I perhaps I shouldn't give them any ideas: If they have singing waiters in the Terrace, perhaps they can reduce the entertainment budget on the rest of the ship. :)

Observer,

I was LOL at first at your post, but then I was reminded of the poor stewardesses on our one foray onto Crystal (once was enough!), who have the unfortunate responsibility of delivering all room service orders at any time of the day or night, in addition to their housekeeping chores. So, as I picture the waiters in the Terrace Cafe doing double-duty as the onboard musical entertainment, it seems less farfetched than one would wish! ;)

Denyse

• 2 weeks later...

We were just on the Shadow, July 29-August 4. La Terrazza not only has an Italian menu (and does open on a couple of nights), but is artifically limiting itself to only 50 or so guests per night. Since La Champagne takes only about 20-26 per night, and guests are not prohibited from making multiple reservations, a large number of guests are likely to be shut out of one or both of these alternative restaurants. We reserved within an hour of boarding and thus got to go to each once. My family would have liked to return to La Terrazza and my wife and I to Le Champagne, but the waitlists were long.

. . . a large number of guests are likely to be shut out of one or both of these alternative restaurants. We reserved within an hour of boarding and thus got to go to each once. My family would have liked to return to La Terrazza and my wife and I to Le Champagne, but the waitlists were long.

JPR, how was the renovated Terrazza? Any particular items on the menu that you especially enjoyed? Any noteworthy changes to the ambiance?

--Rich

It was only open on two nights each week?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have just returned from the Shadow.La Terrazza was open every night with one exception,in that it was booked for a private party for forty two people on one evening.

The food is outstanding with the service a little slow on one evening for my liking but our second visit was fine.The meatballs are historic,there is also Osso Bucco and the usual Rib Eye steak to satisfy our American friends,the pasta,Ravioli and Gnocchi were Al dente and there was also seared Tuna.Desserts good especially Bongo Bongo which is really Profiteroles.We had some Limoncello with the chef who was good company after dinner.The reason for limiting the numbers to fifty is that the chef is cooking everything himself with the aid of some philippino kitchen staff and I do think that he does an excellent job

P.S, Jeff DVD player in the suite

Regards

John

Archived