Do any of you skip the Formal nights?

tings66

For a 7 day cruise, we each check one large bag, and both carry on one bag, one of which is a garment bag holding the suit/sport jacket/dress/heels etc. It fits in the overhead bin. When we go camping (in a tent!) I go without makeup for days, and we both wear jeans to work, but since we started cruising a few years ago we discovered it is fun to dress up on formal night, not to mention my husband looks pretty hot in a dark suit!

We bought a garment bag for our cruise a few weeks ago and put husbands tux my dresses and a few of his dress shirts. It was nice way to travel with formal an nothing was wrinkled.We love to dress for formal nights!!

An extra bag, 50 lbs or less - costs $25-$35 each direction, depending on airline. I guess in terms of the cost of the cruise, that seems pretty darn inconsequential to me. I posted what I did only because you said you LOVED getting dressed up and wearing a tux. But hey, to each their own!

As for an extra tux vs. a gown, heels, shawl or wrap, etc - I'm not sure that weighs any more! :D

Not everyone cruises domestically. It's $100 each way on a lot of international flights and then the hassle if transporting your extra baggage around. I know we can't handle three suitcases and two carry ons around Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind getting dressed up in the least but I really do not have a jacket besides the older looking one I wear to funerals. We are going on our first cruise on the Reflection Saturday and we wanted to try room service anyways. The question I have is does the room service food usually arrive semi hot? I would hate to eat such a nice meal on a cold plate and would actually go to the formal night if there was a risk of supper not being hot.

We travel internationally all the time. The luggage excuse is just that, an excuse.

So what? The question was asked, they said they don't want to drag their tux all over the world. Who are other posters that think that opinion should be challenged? They didn't say they crash formal night in their jeans

So what? The question was asked, they said they don't want to drag their tux all over the world. Who are other posters that think that opinion should be challenged? They didn't say they crash formal night in their jeans

That's right, if someone doesn't care to bring something that's their business but making the international baggage excuse is just plain ridiculous. A jacket and tie really doesn't amount to a hill of beans, in fact the jacket can even be worn while traveling. This idea of someone having to "drag" something around the world just makes me laugh. You'd think it was a ball and chain.

There are plenty of options for people who don't care to dress up on the ship and when we don't feel like getting dressed up we take advantage of them, however, unless we're going on a wilderness camping trip or cycling through a country, I can think of lots of times where having a jacket and tie would make it possible to enjoy a lot more spontaneous experiences because then you can go almost anywhere that strikes your fancy.

We travel internationally all the time. The luggage excuse is just that, an excuse.

It is certainly not an "excuse," as an excuse implies there is some sort of obligation or duty against which one is trying to defend. There is absolutely no duty or obligation to dress formally, therefore no one needs an "excuse" to be acquitted of any duty or obligation.

To clarify, I tried to make it clear that the only reason *I* asked the question was due to the poster saying how much they LOVE to dress up in a tux. And as I ended my earlier post with - "to each their own!" You're right, I don't think anyone on this thread has advocating crashing formal night, very refreshing! :)

I do love wearing a tux. Do I love it enough to pack an extra bag? No, not when I have experienced plenty of formal nights on other cruises. Fun, yes... But I can spend that money I would spend on baggage on other new This talk of excuses is a little over the top. I am not going to wear a tux jacket on a plane, either. But the bottom line is that I prefer to travel light, with one single suitcase. I can be a lot more spontaneous in my adventures if I travel light.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bently57

I do love wearing a tux. Do I love it enough to pack an extra bag? No, not when I have experienced plenty of formal nights on other cruises. Fun, yes... But I can spend that money I would spend on baggage on other new This talk of excuses is a little over the top. I am not going to wear a tux jacket on a plane, either. But the bottom line is that I prefer to travel light, with one single suitcase. I can be a lot more spontaneous in my adventures if I travel light.

I meant to say "I can spend that money I would spend on baggage on other new experiences."

I meant to say "I can spend that money I would spend on baggage on other new experiences."

Again, my apologies if I came across as overbearing - was not my intent! Enjoy your cruising! :)

I have no wife, but a husband... So that makes TWO tuxedoes to pack, which adds up to a lot of extra fees at the airline.

We pack 2 tuxes as well when on Cunard.On Celebrity we decided against tuxes & went with nice suits. We still might bring our tuxes on our Celebrity cruise next year.

It is certainly not an "excuse," as an excuse implies there is some sort of obligation or duty against which one is trying to defend. There is absolutely no duty or obligation to dress formally, therefore no one needs an "excuse" to be acquitted of any duty or obligation.

Excellent response!!!

Now you know I didn't mean a tux jacket.:)

Edited by Ma Bell

Now you know I didn't mean a tux jacket.

I know you didn't mean a tux jacket, true. But you seem bent on making me look foolish for not wanting to pack an extra suitcase. Wearing a jacket on the plane is a sensible option if you want to do formal nights in a jacket. My post was about a tux. And who knows, in the future I might make room for a tux in my one suitcase. But I am not foolish or cheap to only want to pack one suitcase.

My wife would never forgive me if I suggested we skip formal nights.

She is insisting that I take a Kilt this trip, but it is so heavy and then you have all of the other things that go along with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by buzzybuzzbuzz

We leave in just over two weeks and I have been in negotiations with my husband over the formal night attire. On all of our previous cruises he has always worn a dark suit and tie but suddenly he is saying, "NO MORE!" He is not a fan of suits or tuxes on vacation. In his opinion a tie is kin to a straight jacket and doesn't belong on vacation :rolleyes: As of right now he has agreed to the suit sans tie... I will pack the tie in hopes that with a cocktail or two in him I can persuade him to put it on :D

Excuse? How silly. We do not need an excuse to skip formal evenings in the MDR.

Why do we travel light. Two months ago we were in Thailand, taking a ferry from Phuket to AoNang. In order to board our ferry, we actually had to leave the dock, walk across two other ferries, get on our ferry, and then go down a three step ladder. All three were moored beside each other. We had carry on. It was a snap. But we felt sorry for those that had huge suitcases or multiple suitcases. They struggled and it became dangerous for them.

People travel in different ways and different styles to different places. Not everyone flys in, boards the ship, and then flys home. We will be going back to Thailand for a month on the beach in January, then a cruise in Feb. from Sydney. And if we can snag it, we will get a second last minute cruise on either side of the one that we have booked.

We won't smell, our clothes will be clean, our hair will be clean, and we practice good grooming. It is just that we will pack a carry on for five days max and then use something called a laundry.

And we are not making any excuses for our plans! And yes, we will be skipping formal nights in the MDR.

Edited by iancal

We leave in just over two weeks and I have been in negotiations with my husband over the formal night attire. On all of our previous cruises he has always worn a dark suit and tie but suddenly he is saying, "NO MORE!" He is not a fan of suits or tuxes on vacation. In his opinion a tie is kin to a straight jacket and doesn't belong on vacation :rolleyes: As of right now he has agreed to the suit sans tie... I will pack the tie in hopes that with a cocktail or two in him I can persuade him to put it on :D

Psssttt... Tell him I figured out the secret to a tie a LONG time ago! If your shirts are too tight in the neck, then a tie is very uncomfortable. If your shirts are the correct neck size (have to tell myself, be honest - TRUE measurement, not what I think it SHOULD be!) then a tie is not uncomfortable in the least! Its not the tie, its buttoning that top button if the neck is too tight! If he can't slip a couple fingers between the collar and his neck after its buttoned, its too small! Maybe you just need to buy him a new dress shirt! :)

IMHO, a sport coat without a tie is fine, a suit without a tie just looks dorky!

Edited by LetsGetWet!

*LIKE*

We have a family joke at our house . When someone asks why you didn't do this or that. The answer is "I have a good excuse .....I didn't want to " :)

When our children were young ( 3girls and 1 boy) we used to all get dressed up at formal night. The girls would make an event of getting ready and order room service as they did each other's hair for dinner. As a parent I found it very pleasing to see the kids from across the table all dressed up and proper. They really enjoyed it and it gave us an opportunity to teach them to be comfortable in formal clothes and formal events. We have some beautiful pictures. Now it is usually just the two of us cruising and we do not dress up so much any more... actually find it annoying and usually eat in the specialty restaurants on formal nights.

I would not give up those days when we took formal night serious and got all dressed up as a family for nothing. It's just one of the layers of living life. Formal night is what you make it.

I know you didn't mean a tux jacket, true. But you seem bent on making me look foolish for not wanting to pack an extra suitcase. Wearing a jacket on the plane is a sensible option if you want to do formal nights in a jacket. My post was about a tux. And who knows, in the future I might make room for a tux in my one suitcase. But I am not foolish or cheap to only want to pack one suitcase.

I was actually only answering the lady who felt you needed an excuse. As I said, if someone doesn't want to bring something, they don't need to have an excuse. She's the one that was making a big deal out of international travel and dragging things around.

I was actually only answering the lady who felt you needed an excuse. As I said, if someone doesn't want to bring something, they don't need to have an excuse. She's the one that was making a big deal out of international travel and dragging things around.

You may want to reread a couple of posts. I pointed out that not all second bags cost $25. I believe you were the first poster to use the word excuse. I said I couldn't handle three suitcases in Europe. But Nice try