Alternative dining surcharge and children, what's included?

Copper_beeches

Hello,

I know that children can eat for free in the specialty restaurants if they order off the regular dining room children's menu. I also know that if they order off the specialty menu they are charged half price.

I've been trying to find images of the children's menu, and came across specialty retaurant specific children's menus... which brought up the question, exactly what is included with that half surcharge you'll pay to avoid the dining room kids menu?

My 2.5 yr old does not eat typical "kid" food... in the regular dining room I'd normally order him a side of steamed veggies and some sort of meat option and he'd eat bread with it and be happy taking bites off whatever everyone else was eating too.... in the specialty restaraunt I'm happy to pay the half surcharge for him (he can EAT for a 2 yr old...), but is he then restricted to their kids specific menu?

Would they serve a kid size version of the regular entree etc? In some cases, I doubt I'd actually order him anything off the entree section, i.e. in LaCucina, I'd probably order him the tomato salad or ask if they have any other vegetable side and ask for 2-3 meatballs without the rigatoni (he won't eat pasta) I'm not expecting 1/2 a lamb shank to be served, lol... just wondering what options we have for him without resorting to pizza or chicken nuggets!;)

Can you order for children off the regular ADULT dining room menu in the specialty restaurants?

We plan on having him along for Tempanyaki, Moderno and LaCucina if that matters...

Please no flames, I'm not trying to get away with anything price wise, I will be respectful of other diners, we'll leave if he's cranky, I won't allow him to run around or touch other people...:o

...just curious what's included with the kids surcharge:confused:

What ages dose this apply to?

"Children 3-years old and younger always eat for free. In our specialty restaurants, children 4- to 12-years old can choose from a

complimentary Kids’ Menu or from the restaurant’s Specialty Kids’ Menu for half price."

I found this site with pictures of the kids specialty menus taken from the Dawn~ not sure how old they are but thought I'd post them~ http://www.cruisebugchatter.com/menus/ncl-dawn-menus/

Edited by Alliezona09

OP, I just want to say, kudos to you for feeding your kid real food. It pays off in the long term.

To the poster who asked about what ages the half price applies to, I was told 12 and under. My 14 year old is full price, 10 year old is half price. I am also curious to know if they serve child-sized portions.

Thanks, Cruisinmama!

Allie, that makes it sound as though since he's under 3 he can eat anything we want to feed him for free, wonder if that's the case or if they just mean he doesn't pay a surcharge but will have to order off a kids menu ??

I'm sure we can make it work in any case, a couple veggie sides and some of my meat and he'll be happy...!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just cruised on the Gem in February. Our 2 year old ate off the adult menu in specialty restaurants at no charge. We didn't order entrees for her often, because portions were adult sized. She'd usually have an appetizer or two and a side.

"We just cruised on the Gem in February. Our 2 year old ate off the adult menu in specialty restaurants at no charge. We didn't order entrees for her often, because portions were adult sized. She'd usually have an appetizer or two and a side."

Thanks, Brooke! That's exactly the info I was looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app