SilverSeas vs other cruise lines

MaryL

I was once a Silversea cheerleader! On our first cruise Silversea cruise 20 years ago.

Then we took our third cruise with Silversea last year- and then took our first Seabourn cruise a few weeks ago. My review is an honest, detailed comparison. I know it must be tough for Silversea regulars to see my review.

Thank you for the detailed honest review.It is the facts that are important not the spelling .My occasional desire to try Seabourn has been dispelled for ever in the knowledge that lamb chops for breakfast and the food speciality is cheeseburger and chips do not float this particular vote..we are happy to stick with the great service we have received since 1997 on Silversea from a friendly and smiling staff from a variety of nations around the globe.

I was once a Silversea cheerleader! On our first cruise Silversea cruise 20 years ago.

Then we took our third cruise with Silversea last year- and then took our first Seabourn cruise a few weeks ago. My review is an honest, detailed comparison. I know it must be tough for Silversea regulars to see my review.

Serious point. Have re-read your review of the 2007 Whisper cruise, which is very similar to your review of the Quest. You obviously felt that things were below par on your more recent Spirit cruise. But, what happened to the big Muffin comparison?

Yes, in 2007 we thought the Silversea cruise was great. But last year our Silversea cruise was not as good. Of course we still enjoyed it. But there were a lot of food issues- that were unacceptable. So that is why we decided to try Seabourn. So after going on Seabourn and comparing it to Silversea- we felt there was a big difference. If we would not have gone on Seabourn we would not have known the difference between the 2 cruise lines. Now I know.

Yes, in 2007 we thought the Silversea cruise was great. But last year our Silversea cruise was not as good. Of course we still enjoyed it. But there were a lot of food issues- that were unacceptable. So that is why we decided to try Seabourn. So after going on Seabourn and comparing it to Silversea- we felt there was a big difference. If we would not have gone on Seabourn we would not have known the difference between the 2 cruise lines. Now I know.

Good thing that you were wise enough to try another line,many posters stick with one line and never realise what is available to them.

I like to try them all and then make my decesion.

Reading what is posted on these boards is never a good way to gauge a cruise line.

dafne, thanks again for taking so much trouble with your posts which have been informative.

:)

I think it important not just that a cruise line provides an axpected level of service but also that it should respond to issues in a timely manner. We had an issue on our recent SS cruise which was simply not addressed on board (it was an issue shared by others who similarly complained) - in fact, didn't seem to be taken seriously. I have written to SS HQ and, after 10 days, am awaiting a reply. To me this is much more of a let down than a badly cooked bit of fish or having a waiter that needs further training - those things can be managed in situ.

Our future allegiance to SS is largely dependent upon a satisfactory solution - let's see if SS's claim to superior service extends to a suitably appropriate response (and I l know another set of guests have also been discomfited by the same problem). I just hope the corporate philosophy lives up to expectations otherwise I can see RSSC or Seabourn getting our future bookings.

I think it important not just that a cruise line provides an axpected level of service but also that it should respond to issues in a timely manner. We had an issue on our recent SS cruise which was simply not addressed on board (it was an issue shared by others who similarly complained) - in fact, didn't seem to be taken seriously. I have written to SS HQ and, after 10 days, am awaiting a reply. To me this is much more of a let down than a badly cooked bit of fish or having a waiter that needs further training - those things can be managed in situ.

Our future allegiance to SS is largely dependent upon a satisfactory solution - let's see if SS's claim to superior service extends to a suitably appropriate response (and I l know another set of guests have also been discomfited by the same problem). I just hope the corporate philosophy lives up to expectations otherwise I can see RSSC or Seabourn getting our future bookings.

in our opinion this is the major problem withSS. on board service excellent SS management at head office the worst service possible. the other issue is on board not even HD has the authority to make a decision on a serious complaint.We had a complaint re air con on a 62 day cruise on the Cloud in 2012 which took four months to resolve.SS first offer was free newspaper and free laundry(already qualified for this).Settled four months later £12k off next cruise.Persevere and good look.

in our opinion this is the major problem withSS. on board service excellent SS management at head office the worst service possible. the other issue is on board not even HD has the authority to make a decision on a serious complaint.We had a complaint re air con on a 62 day cruise on the Cloud in 2012 which took four months to resolve.SS first offer was free newspaper and free laundry(already qualified for this).Settled four months later £12k off next cruise.Persevere and good look.

Yes. I've heard that head office move at the speed of glaciated treacle and are less than wholly commited to an equitable resolution. However, I'm a touch sanguine because I know that one of the other guests to suffer the same problem is like a terrier with a rat when it comes to pursuing her ends (and we are in constant touch).

As I've said earlier, it's not so much that a problem occured (that is the nature of humanity/machinery) more that I would expect SS to respond with actions that demonstrate that their commitment to customer service is more than just an abstract concept.

If this was a serious issue I'd advise having your TA contact SS on you behalf. They tend to pay more attention to TAs than to passengers.

Thanks for the advice but things work a little differently in the UK in that TAs don't have such a close relationship with SS as US ones would. The upside is that they are cheaper. Swings vs roundabouts. Thankfully our US friends who are also seeking SS's consideration for the same problem are using their personal knowledge and their TA - we will tend to ride along on their coat tails.

What was the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not something that I want to share on an open forum as the matter is a touch sub judicae. But the enjoyment of the cruise was ruined for a number of people who I know have voted with their feet and won't be using SS again. SS is a good fit for our needs so we hope they behave honourably. In essence there was a significant mechanical problem which they not only failed to fix but failed to believe those affected that there was a problem. Intensely frustrating. Probably an isolated issue badly handled.

We only sailed once with SS and had a number of issues - mainly small things but enough for us to decide we won't sail with them again. We had a horrible situation on star clippers earlier this year which was very poorly handled so that's them out of the mix too. We're sticking with SB!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The really good thing about Seabourn is if you have a problem or an issue whilst you are on board it is usually resolved by a discussion with the Hotel manager.

You will not have to wait until you get home to then go into battle with a head office who do not hear too well.

The really good thing about Seabourn is if you have a problem or an issue whilst you are on board it is usually resolved by a discussion with the Hotel manager.

You will not have to wait until you get home to then go into battle with a head office who do not hear too well.

They may not hear well. But we are quite prepared to SHOUT. It's annoying more because it is a question not of whether there was an issue - there were others similarly affected - but that the relevant authority on the ship simply refused to accept that we, and others, had a valid cause for concern. With my background I don't really need to be patronised by someone with a couple of stripes on their shoulder!

But, before I get too stroppy I'm quite happy to give SS the chance to offer suitable reparation and apology.

Seabourn is fine bit it doesn't fit our needs the same as SS - assuming SS is operating as normal. I think it's time to give RSSC a try and maybe Celebrity after April next. And there's Cunard, too. It's not as if SS have a monopoly at this end of the market.

Edit:

Just to add that we would not normally be the types that keep quiet about a problem then mutter on about it. For 14 days we, and others, complained. It got to the point where we knew that everyone, including ourselves, were kind of going through the motions. We also know someone still on the ship and the problem has been solved thereby proving that a. it existed and b. it was soluble. We've just no idea why we weren't taken seriously!

Edited by Tothesunset

They may not hear well. But we are quite prepared to SHOUT. It's annoying more because it is a question not of whether there was an issue - there were others similarly affected - but that the relevant authority on the ship simply refused to accept that we, and others, had a valid cause for concern. With my background I don't really need to be patronised by someone with a couple of stripes on their shoulder!

But, before I get too stroppy I'm quite happy to give SS the chance to offer suitable reparation and apology.

Seabourn is fine bit it doesn't fit our needs the same as SS - assuming SS is operating as normal. I think it's time to give RSSC a try and maybe Celebrity after April next. And there's Cunard, too. It's not as if SS have a monopoly at this end of the market.

Edit:

Just to add that we would not normally be the types that keep quiet about a problem then mutter on about it. For 14 days we, and others, complained. It got to the point where we knew that everyone, including ourselves, were kind of going through the motions. We also know someone still on the ship and the problem has been solved thereby proving that a. it existed and b. it was soluble. We've just no idea why we weren't taken seriously!

Just a thought to add.............we were on the Spirit for one of the weeks you sailed.........it was your last week of sailing and our first. Though we enjoyed many aspects of the cruise I have to say it would have to go down as our least favourite of all our cruises. The weather, missing ports and half the entertainment crew not being able to perform due to illness.

So maybe if a itinerary or price comes up that is tempting on the bigger Seabourn ships you could try them as well.

I know we would like to try either Silver Discoverer or Galapagos once they have been "bedded down". It's nice to have the choices we have. We are very lucky.:)

Just a thought to add.............we were on the Spirit for one of the weeks you sailed.........it was your last week of sailing and our first. Though we enjoyed many aspects of the cruise I have to say it would have to go down as our least favourite of all our cruises. The weather, missing ports and half the entertainment crew not being able to perform due to illness.

So maybe if a itinerary or price comes up that is tempting on the bigger Seabourn ships you could try them as well.

I know we would like to try either Silver Discoverer or Galapagos once they have been "bedded down". It's nice to have the choices we have. We are very lucky.:)

Good point. We always scan the Seabourn and RSSC offerings carefully; in fact, we broke ranks last year and did a 14-nighter on Seabourn Spirit - very good it was, too, but it was 14 ports in 14 days and we like the sea days (which is not to condemn Seabourn but it told us what kind of itineray we prefer).

Anyway, we need to get our spring 2015 cruise sorted out (and have an SS itinerary in mind). We are in our late 50s and will be cruising twice a year until too old, frail or dead to do any more! We are holding back from booking until our correspondance with SS is satisfactorily resolved. If it isn't we will jump ship (groan!).

Edit:

As a matter of interest who was the Hotel Director on your cruise?

Apologies, found the answer on the other thread, and I have neither come across him or heard of him before now.

Edited by Silver Spectre
Correction to question

I have written to SS HQ and, after 10 days, am awaiting a reply. To me this is much more of a let down than a badly cooked bit of fish or having a waiter that needs further training - those things can be managed in situ.

I hope you do not end up feeling disappointed. I have now been waiting for over 2 weeks for a response to a written request to resolve an issue that arose on our Cloud voyage in mid April.

The GRM in the London office may have changed but the service is as bad as ever.

I hope you do not end up feeling disappointed. I have now been waiting for over 2 weeks for a response to a written request to resolve an issue that arose on our Cloud voyage in mid April.

The GRM in the London office may have changed but the service is as bad as ever.

I've written directly to Ft Lauderdale. Their guest relations manager was the addressee.

(Incidentally the problem would have affected Krisha! This may be too cryptic if you are not who I think you are ;-) )

Edited by Tothesunset

As a matter of interest who was the Hotel Director on your cruise?

Apologies, found the answer on the other thread, and I have neither come across him or heard of him before now.

Someone said it was his first contract as HD.

The reason UK TAs are cheaper is that they get larger commissions and so can rebate more. The trade off is lack of ability to serve the client as well and inability to get one's deposit refunded prior to final payment.

I've written directly to Ft Lauderdale. Their guest relations manager was the addressee.

(Incidentally the problem would have affected Krisha! This may be too cryptic if you are not who I think you are ;-) )

Maybe if and when the issue is resolved you might care to share what exactly happened on your voyage.

As a solo female traveller I'm finding all this a tad worrying.

Sophia :)

QUOTE Anyway, we need to get our spring 2015 cruise sorted out (and have an SS itinerary in mind). We are in our late 50s and will be cruising twice a year until too old, frail or dead to do any more! We are holding back from booking until our correspondance with SS is satisfactorily resolved. If it isn't we will jump ship (groan!).

Had a major complaint, sent it to guest relations and waited many months. Got a call from the new VP of marketing and it was pushed up a little higher. Just when I thought we were never going to receive any compensation a voucher certificate arrived that we needed to endorse and send back. It was equal to a 14 day cruise for one person. So my faith was restored but it took MUCH LONGER than it should have…. So hang in there, you may receive a Christmas present….

Not cryptic at all. Apart from the general interest we are booked to be on the Shadow in November/December and hope the problem stays fixed.

Edited by Silver Spectre