I am genuinely sorry you had the worst cruise ever....But

Tutontow

pelalim I am truly sorry you had the worst cruise ever on the Legend but did you know about Carnival's 100% guarantee.

You know why the 100% guarantee exists? Because basically NOBODY will take advantage of it, and Carnival knows it.

IMHO, once you find yourself aboard the ship, and have already invested all that time preparing for the cruise, all the expenses NOT covered by the guarantee (like flights to get to their vacation, pre-post cruise hotel and meal costs, transportation, etc), and just the effort to get there, it would be VERY hard to cut your vacation short by day 2 (which is usually by the time the decision MUST be made).

Most of us would probably hang in there, HOPING that the initial issues may be just a hiccup, and that the rest of the cruise will improve, but unfortunately by the time we realize that the entire cruise will suck, the deadline to invoke the guarantee will be long gone.

Because of that, I don't question the reasons why people don't invoke the 100% guarantee, but I do question some of these reviews where everything is bad while praising how everything on a competing cruise line is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I hadn't looked at the guarantee for a while. That is actually a really good deal. Get flown home at Carnival's cost?

The reviewer definitely should have taken advantage if they knew about it.

I wonder how often it is utilized.

I read the review, and honestly I would have been upset too. Maybe the reviewer didn't know about the guarantee. I doubt customer service would have volunteered it as an option.

But regarding the comment about 50 vacant rooms, unless they were wheelchair assessable, they would not have helped.

I think if the passenger, indeed, have 15 pervious cruise, he/she would have done a little more research before making the booking. Wheelchair cabins are noted on the web site, so no one should be surprised or dissappointed when they get on the ship.

Get flown home at Carnival's cost?

They'll fly you home, but they will not reimburse you for the flights that you already purchased to get you to/from the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think if the passenger, indeed, have 15 pervious cruise, he/she would have done a little more research before making the booking. Wheelchair cabins are noted on the web site, so no one should be surprised or dissappointed when they get on the ship.

According to the reviewer it was the first carnival cruise! booked direct with carnival! and questioned them about whether he would need a wheelchair cabin and was assured he would be ok.

This is not the first time a phone rep gave wrong info. I think Carnival really fell down here and should have handled it better.

As for Belize and tender port, that should have been the reviewer checking more.

My own opinion is if one booked directly with Carnival and requests a wheel chair accessible room, I do not believe they should have to double check or know better.

The OP in this case did not book a wheelchair accessible cabin based on information from a Carnival rep that their scooter or wheel chair (it is unclear between the two posts) would fit.

Here is a second review from the same person, same ship, slightly different information

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=251788

if the OP said scooter....

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Furthermore, the Guest Services office cannot store personal scooters, nor be used to recharge batteries. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

So if the Carnival rep asked if it was 21" or asked if it was a standard scooter, then the Carnival rep was correct. We never hear 2 sides to the story. Only the one complaining. I am not saying that the OPs story is innacurate. all I am saying is we are hearing from just one side. Tough to judge a situation when only hearing one side.

It seems the customer service was at fault here rather than the ship.

Its a shame that with attention to detail missed her holiday was ruined.

You're right, the two reviews are the same person. Ummmmm, think he just got upset his review wasn't posted soon enough or do we have a troll?

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Furthermore, the Guest Services office cannot store personal scooters, nor be used to recharge batteries. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

So if the Carnival rep asked if it was 21" or asked if it was a standard scooter, then the Carnival rep was correct. We never hear 2 sides to the story. Only the one complaining. I am not saying that the OPs story is innacurate. all I am saying is we are hearing from just one side. Tough to judge a situation when only hearing one side.

Totally agree.

and about not being upgraded to a higher room. if none of the higher rooms were handicap accessible, I am not sure what good it would have done. The doorframe would probably be the same and the bathroom would probably be the same. There might be a little more room to manuver inside the cabin (not that much) but they would have faced the same challenges

Edited by hftmrock

You're right, the two reviews are the same person. Ummmmm, think he just got upset his review wasn't posted soon enough or do we have a troll?

I don't let much bother me, ever, but I think even I would have started crying in the reviewers place. It sounds like a breakdown in communication in several places. While I've never found Carnival staff to be rude, I have had to be very persistent on occasion but I don't think it was more than any other business.

Folks who book directly online (or over the phone) are talking to operators who are simply "taking an order".

They should only be used by people who know what they are doing.

If that poster was experienced in cruising and in the past had an accessible cabin then I don't know why they would accept a phone rep's statement that the wheelchair/scooter would be fine in a regular cabin and allow themselves to be booked in one. The cabins and doors all seem to be the same size no matter which cruise line it is.

As for the comment about the tender I think they should have done more research on their ports. It could be that the weather at the time would not allow the safe transfer of a mobility challenged person and a wheelchair/scooter.

I have also been on 2 RCI ships and I think they are all the same height as the Carnival buffet areas. I am not sure that a person in a wheelchair/scooter would be able to see the food clearly on any of the ships that I have been on.

Edited by Mysticks1

Folks who book directly online (or over the phone) are talking to operators who are simply "taking an order".

They should only be used by people who know what they are doing.

I have a couple of cruises under my belt, so not as experienced as the OP, however I was not aware of this. I thought your best bet was to talk to them directly.

And yet I see scooters in the hallway all the time, day or night. :rolleyes:

Edited by Out to sea!

pelalim I am truly sorry you had the worst cruise ever on the Legend but did you know about Carnival's 100% guarantee.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=251765

That guarantee never seems to be published as an IN YOUR FACE option. Don't blame them. In fact, I had forgotten all about it till I read this thread.

I'm sorry, but if I was travelling with my mother, who IS in a wheelchair, and had those issues getting in the cabin, you can bet your sweet BIPPIE, I would be at GS causing a small scene.

It is not my fault, nor my mothers, that the Carnival reps don't know what they are talking about.......

And don't even get me GOING on the fall in the bathroom.

That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If this woman/man broke a hip, or worse, this could get UGLY.

I agree with the member who posted the review.

They call them Handicap Accessible for a REASON:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The reviewer didn't book a Handicapped Accessible cabin, that's the problem. If you're reliant on a wheelchair or a scooter why wouldn't you book what is needed? I think it's likely the reviewer got a great deal on a cruise but no H/A rooms were available. Of course, there is going to be a fall in the bathroom, it wasn't an H/A room. It's not Carnival's fault, it's the reviewer for not booking the room that was needed.

I'm sorry, but if I was travelling with my mother, who IS in a wheelchair, and had those issues getting in the cabin, you can bet your sweet BIPPIE, I would be at GS causing a small scene.

It is not my fault, nor my mothers, that the Carnival reps don't know what they are talking about.......

And don't even get me GOING on the fall in the bathroom.

That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If this woman/man broke a hip, or worse, this could get UGLY.

I agree with the member who posted the review.

They call them Handicap Accessible for a REASON:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think the problem with the reviewer is that they "knew" that they should have had an accessible cabin but they booked themselves into a regular cabin. (I would bet you wouldn't book your mother into a regular cabin if you knew she needed the accessible one and the things that those cabins have in them.)

This wasn't a first time cruiser. This was someone who had been on many cruises before. They went to guest services but what exactly was GS supposed to do if all of the accessible rooms were booked (and they usually are according to reports on here). Even if there were cabins available if they weren't an accessible cabin then changing cabins wouldn't have helped.