Bringing CPAP onboard?

I need some help for my friend that I am traveling with. She was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and is bring her cpap machine onboard. We have already set up with RCCL to have an extension cord and water in the room but my question is she is worried about the porters handling it to get it delivered onboard? Does anyone have experience with this? I obviously do not want it to get damaged but I would hate for her to have to lug it to the Windjammer and to the pool. Any thoughts?

I need some help for my friend that I am traveling with. She was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and is bring her cpap machine onboard. We have already set up with RCCL to have an extension cord and water in the room but my question is she is worried about the porters handling it to get it delivered onboard? Does anyone have experience with this? I obviously do not want it to get damaged but I would hate for her to have to lug it to the Windjammer and to the pool. Any thoughts?

She needs to hand carry her CPAP. I have used one for years and never allow anyone else to handle it while travelling. It is sensitive medical equipment in a relatively small bag and deserves being handled with kid gloves.

She needs to hand carry her CPAP. I have used one for years and never allow anyone else to handle it while travelling. It is sensitive medical equipment in a relatively small bag and deserves being handled with kid gloves.

Ok, kid gloves it is, thanks for the help!

Since I hate to lug that thing over my shoulder, whenever possible, I try to fit it into a small roll-on bag that I just tug along as my carry on. That also gives me room to hand carry any meds & anything that I might want to access before the luggage arrives.

I agree - we always carry on my dad's CPAP. I figure it's the one thing (along with my parents prescription medication which we also carry on) that we couldn't live without for the week.

If I didn't get my suitcase, it'd be a PITA for the week;

If my dad didn't get his CPAP, it would be dangerous to his health.

Place the CPAP machine (in it's carry case) inside a roll on small luggage bag, along with any medicine or other valuables etc. This bag, will be your bag for the last night of luggage, and toiletries etc and if you are lucky, the CPAP will also fit in it.

Also, you should bring your own extension cord (9 feet) with you and pack it in your CPAP case.

Also, you should bring your own extension cord (9 feet) with you and pack it in your CPAP case.

Why? I have an email from Special Needs that assures we will have water and an extension cord. DH will be bringing his for the first time next cruise.

Incorrect, the ship will provide a long extension cord and distilled water. If it's not in the room when you arrive, mention it to your room steward and they will bring it for you. Just make sure you've let the special needs department know ahead of time

A lot depends on the ship and cabin and your individual model. I had a G Oceanview on the Serenade and was able to plug it in and put it by the bed with no extension cord needed

Since I hate to lug that thing over my shoulder, whenever possible, I try to fit it into a small roll-on bag that I just tug along as my carry on. That also gives me room to hand carry any meds & anything that I might want to access before the luggage arrives.

I carry my CPAP in a small laptop bag - it has a strap at the rear that hooks over my rollaboard so I don't have the weight to worry about.

Being medical equipment, the airlines have to carry it in the cabin, IN ADDITION to my hand luggage entitlement, so I get to use my rollaboard for personal things.

I carry my own long power cord. It's only light, and it comes in handy at hotels - it also means I don't have to worry if the cruise line will provide one.

Edited by lake5298

I have always packed mine in my suitcase. Positioning it carefully to prevent crushing from external weight and hard internal items such as a hair dryer or sunscreen. If it breaks, its not life/death for me. On departure day I carry it off and stuff it back in my luggage to fly. I already have enough stuff to carry.

Incorrect, the ship will provide a long extension cord and distilled water. If it's not in the room when you arrive, mention it to your room steward and they will bring it for you. Just make sure you've let the special needs department know ahead of time

True, but we have extensive travel experience, and have learned that when it comes to "medically important items" that you should always be prepared for when things don't work out....and the extension cord is a very simple thing to pack in the CPAP bag.

I carry my own long power cord. It's only light, and it comes in handy at hotels - it also means I don't have to worry if the cruise line will provide one.

I completely agree....should never trust or expect a power cord to be readily available, when it comes to medical equipment.

Why? I have an email from Special Needs that assures we will have water and an extension cord. DH will be bringing his for the first time next cruise.

Simply because this is a medical equipment, and you may need it in hotels, unexpected delays, and you will not be dependant on remembering always to ask for one. It's just because you should always be prepared and it is a simple solution to carry with you.

I use to do this and had good luck with the people at Royal Caribbean delivering the water and power cord. She should have a travel case for it. It should be carried on the plane if flying and they CAN NOT count a medical device torward your carry on limit. I had a letter from my doctor inside the machine case explaining what it was, though most TSA people see them regularly. If you don't want to carry it to the windjammer, plan on arriving after the times the rooms open up.

If you take it to the windjammer or carry it around till rooms are available, I recommend you put the ships luggage tag on it even if you carry it onboard. That way if you accidently leave it behind, they will know where it belongs. I do that with my camera case and carry on.

True, but we have extensive travel experience, and have learned that when it comes to "medically important items" that you should always be prepared for when things don't work out....and the extension cord is a very simple thing to pack in the CPAP bag.

I completely agree....should never trust or expect a power cord to be readily available, when it comes to medical equipment.

Some ports won't let you bring your own cord on board as it could be fire hazard. Voyager, Freedom and Majesty provided me the cord no problem.

Some ports won't let you bring your own cord on board as it could be fire hazard. Voyager, Freedom and Majesty provided me the cord no problem.

My CPAP is provided by the NHS (the UK health service) and they test it every year - they mark the CPAP and the cords with safety tested stickers.

I've never had a problem - but then again, who can see the future!

Hand carry it on the ship. Put a name tag on the bag, and also printed out side the bag.

Masking tape folded over woks OK for a make-shift name tag.

Royal Caribbean provided distilled water for no charge.

(The last time I sailed Carnival, there was a small charge for the distilled water.)

Edited by Jimnbigd

I have requested extension cords through special needs on 3 different cruises and always get the email that it will be there. Then when I mention it to the room attendant, he knows nothing and has to go track one down. So far, they haven't provided, but it always seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

I have requested extension cords through special needs on 3 different cruises and always get the email that it will be there. Then when I mention it to the room attendant, he knows nothing and has to go track one down. So far, they haven't provided, but it always seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

Back when I needed CPAP (glad to be free of that monster) I was told NOT to bring an extension cord. Having an electronic/electrical background I know if a cord would be safe or not, but in some cases the people checking have been told not to allow cords on board. The one they always gave me was made from an overly heavy gage wire and had only one female outlet on the other end. They fear you may attach too much to a smaller cord and overload it. I have no doubt many people bring them onboard, but you may be denied and they would provide you one. Worst case your out only a few bucks unless you bring a really fancy one.

To a prior poster who said they were on Freedom last year and couldn't get an extension cord, we had one waiting in our room with the distilled water when we got to our cabin at 1:00PM, there were no issues whatsoever.

Definitely hand carry the CPAP though, we carried that and some roller bags so we were guaranteed to have SOME clothes if the big suitcases got lost. Of course my husband's suitcase arrived HOURS before mine and I was scared I would only have my change of clothes all week LOL