Access To Haven - how is it controlled ?

Just wondering about how the whole Haven "ship within a ship" concept works in practice, at least as far as gaining access is concerned.

Is the entire Haven area zoned off from other passengers, and is there some type of key card access for the suite/lounge/restaurant area, or is there a crew member checking key cards as you enter and do you need photo ID etc ?

Anyone know?

On the Jewel class (Pearl, Gem, Jade)... there is a door that leads to Haven area. Your keycard opens the door. Nobody there checking.

From what I've read here, same applies to newer ships too.

Just wondering about how the whole Haven "ship within a ship" concept works in practice, at least as far as gaining access is concerned.

Is the entire Haven area zoned off from other passengers, and is there some type of key card access for the suite/lounge/restaurant area, or is there a crew member checking key cards as you enter and do you need photo ID etc ?

Anyone know?

I assume you are speaking about the Getaway? The Getaway's Haven is zoned off from the rest of the ship, with key card access to the hallway door entries and the elevator floor access. At the restaurant inside, you will be asked for your room number, where they will check against a list with names, number of passengers, etc, until they get to know you. The Haven areas are monitored by the concierge and his/her assistants, and the Haven butlers, the bartenders, etc - they learn very quickly who belongs and who does not. This way you can bring guests to your suite within the Haven, but they would be noticed quickly in the public areas. It works very well.

On the smaller ships, the Haven is accessed by only the center elevators with key access in both the elevators and entry doors (in case someone comes along for the elevator ride). The restaurant (Cagney's) is accessible to all suite guests on deck 13 (even those not in the Haven suites) and is also a public restaurant for dinner, so they check your keys and list at the door before seating.

Robin

On the jewel class ships only mid ship elevators access the haven floor by putting your key card in the slot

You can also access the haven via stairs but you need to put in your key card to get in when you get to top of the stairs.

There is no one standing guard so to speak but the workers in the Haven usually(and I mean usually) know who belongs and who doesn't

Its a nice perk being in the Haven

On the jewel class ships only mid ship elevators access the haven floor by putting your key card in the slot

You can also access the haven via stairs but you need to put in your key card to get in when you get to top of the stairs.

There is no one standing guard so to speak but the workers in the Haven usually(and I mean usually) know who belongs and who doesn't

Its a nice perk being in the Haven

I'm just off the Gem yesterday and can definitely attest to this. On our first full day of the cruise, my family and I were sitting in the Haven talking with the Concierge, Pearl. A couple of teen boys were upstairs on the Haven-only deck, and you could see Pearl's radar immediately go up as they started coming down the stairs and into the Haven area; after a few seconds, she said "OK, those are the guys from [cabin number]." I was incredibly impressed that just hours after we embarked, she could already identify her Haven passengers by sight. She later told us that the first night out, she tries to spend time with the computer system looking at the boarding pictures of the Haven and suite guests she will be serving so that she knows who is who for the duration of the cruise. (BTW, I will be posting more on our cruise later, and especially about Pearl and the suite life, but the short version is we have never, ever, ever had service and total pampering attention like we had on the Gem -- and that includes cruises in the Royal Loft Suite on Oasis and in Queen's Grille on the QMII).

Y'all are missing the secret entrance. There is an outdoor set if stairs on the jewel class. Anyone that stumbles on that gate door can get to the top level of the haven. I do not think there is a door like that on the epic, but I did not look very hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the Breakaway class ships, you buy Vibe access then hop over the wall onto the Haven's sundeck and then run down the stairs to the Haven restaurant and pool.

We did this all week. I had bruises everywhere from hopping the wall. ;)

hahahaha

After the door that requires a card key.....it is conceivable that you could slip in when the door is opened by a legitimate Haven guest.......

Then you'd have to walk past the Haven Conceirge desk which is staffed usually by 2. Both staff know you. They address you by your name!

Lets say you were able to get in another way.......if you are up on the sun deck, they know you to. They know you by name and they know what drinks you like! They even know you by your stateroom number!! They know you.

Anyone know?

I read a review from 2012 that said Haven people were sneaking non-Haven people in to the pool / sundeck area. Not sure if that was true, or just someone trying to make waves.

I read a review from 2012 that said Haven people were sneaking non-Haven people in to the pool / sundeck area. Not sure if that was true, or just someone trying to make waves.

I would guess that just about every cruise you have

a) people being slipped in against the rules

AND

b) Someone who is convinced that somebody is there against the rules, when in fact they are a paying Haven guest.

Just the way it is.

AND

b) Someone who is convinced that somebody is there against the rules, when in fact they are a paying Haven guest.

Just the way it is.

Ha! Very true!

On our Epic cruise a few weeks ago, a group of 5 teens snuck into the Haven and hung out in the hottub and sauna for an hour. The Haven wasn't busy so I didn't mention it. I figured they were getting their kicks and didn't want to be their killjoy. The Haven staff knew they were crashing and just avoided offering them drinks. If the seats were limited or if their time there was extensive, I would have piped up but I let them have their fun. In our previous cruise, I also witnessed famillies bringing in their mothers that were in standard cabins. It does happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our Epic cruise a few weeks ago, a group of 5 teens snuck into the Haven and hung out in the hottub and sauna for an hour. The Haven wasn't busy so I didn't mention it. I figured they were getting their kicks and didn't want to be their killjoy. The Haven staff knew they were crashing and just avoided offering them drinks. If the seats were limited or if their time there was extensive, I would have piped up but I let them have their fun. In our previous cruise, I also witnessed famillies bringing in their mothers that were in standard cabins. It does happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow. That's not cool at all - especially if the staff knew and did nothing. Edited - how did you know they were crashing?

Edited by SissasMomE

How sad that people encourage teenagers in abusing a system and not reporting it.

It was probably not the first time and they were sure to do it again as they perceive that they did not get caught.

How sad that people encourage teenagers in abusing a system and not reporting it.

It was probably not the first time and they were sure to do it again as they perceive that they did not get caught.

I'd be more ticked at the staff allowing it! Like Gary said in a prior post, it may have just been a perception (assumption?) issue, which is why I asked how the OP knew the teens didn't belong there.

Edited by SissasMomE

I couldn't even have a good time if I snuck into somewhere I wasn't supposed to be. First, I'd feel guilty and looking over my shoulder the whole time afraid I would be caught, and secondly and more importantly, it's about the same as stealing.

AND

Just the way it is.

I think this is very, very true!

One of the reasons we wanted a 16th floor room was just so that people wouldn't think we were crashers because we were coming from another floor...

NCL charges big bucks for the privilege of exclusive "Haven cruising" - if those reserved areas are not being adequately controlled and non-paying cruisers are sneaking in to use the facilities it will quickly become a failed concept. If someone pays for a first class seat on a plane, you don't expect to find economy class passengers sitting in your seat.

NCL should get on top of this, and fast.

Edited by Winchester Ranger

NCL charges big bucks for the privilege of exclusive "Haven cruising" - if those reserved areas are not being adequately controlled and non-paying cruisers are sneaking in to use the facilities it will quickly become a failed concept. If someone pays for a first class seat on a plane, you don't expect to find economy class passengers sitting in your seat.

NCL should get on top of this, and fast.

Very well said!