Best thing you've eaten?

missy428

Chocolate Melting Cake in the main dining room for dessert! It is the best!!!

My choice hands down!:D

The DH, DS, and the DS's GF loved the pizza and deli sandwiches on the Splendor. We sailed on her during spring break 2012.

We all loved room service's chocolate cake! Yummo! :)

Edited by mousey

Favorite probably is the beef tenderloin and brisket that is served in the mdr. Usually cooked perfectly witg very tasty sauce. Most of their shrimp offerings are good as well, especially the tiger shrimp that comes with the lobster on formal night. The appetizer shrimp cocktail is excellent as well. The ribs are usually good and tender as well. In terms of buffet, I really like the caribbean rice and beans and island stew. Only tried guy's burger one time on the glory but it was ok. Breakfast omelets are very good as is the rotisserie carved meats and potatoes. But my favorite is probably anything from the Mongolian wok. I love that place so much I have duplicated some of the recipes they use at home. And I can't forget about the blue iguana cantina. Not on very many ships but some of the best burritos I have ever tasted and made to order to boot.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

MDR fave was the mac and cheese with bacon and chicken, followed by the pork steak. Mongolian wok was awesome--loved the sezchuan sauce the best. And for breakfast, nothing beat the good ol omelet bar.

You mentioned how you want to try new things on this cruise... that's what we did, but we'd order it as extra food. We would get our main entrées, then order an additional entrée to share. It was always something none of us had ever tried before. It was fun, especially for the kids :)

MDR fave was the mac and cheese with bacon and chicken, followed by the pork steak. Mongolian wok was awesome--loved the sezchuan sauce the best. And for breakfast, nothing beat the good ol omelet bar.

You mentioned how you want to try new things on this cruise... that's what we did, but we'd order it as extra food. We would get our main entrées, then order an additional entrée to share. It was always something none of us had ever tried before. It was fun, especially for the kids :)

We did this too on the Breeze last year since we were a group of 7 dining at an 8'top. We'd just say this is for Harvey....think old movie. :D. Gave us a chance to try thinks like the pumpkin, squash dish and lasagna. Didnt go to waste either with 7 people trying it.

Oatmeal at breakfast slathered with brown sugar. It is my CRUISE BREAKFAST. I just love it!!! I can make it easily at home, but it wouldn't taste the same! :p They have those little taters at breakfast sometimes too and they are very good.

Favorite probably is the beef tenderloin and brisket that is served in the mdr. Usually cooked perfectly witg very tasty sauce. Most of their shrimp offerings are good as well, especially the tiger shrimp that comes with the lobster on formal night. The appetizer shrimp cocktail is excellent as well. The ribs are usually good and tender as well. In terms of buffet, I really like the caribbean rice and beans and island stew. Only tried guy's burger one time on the glory but it was ok. Breakfast omelets are very good as is the rotisserie carved meats and potatoes. But my favorite is probably anything from the Mongolian wok. I love that place so much I have duplicated some of the recipes they use at home. And I can't forget about the blue iguana cantina. Not on very many ships but some of the best burritos I have ever tasted and made to order to boot.

I am curious about Guys burgers, the New York Times have his recent restaurant opening here in the city a scathing review, I wonder if the critic just didn't like him or if his food really doesn't live up to his name

I'm glad the seafood offerings are good, I loooooooove seafood :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by missy428

Mongolian Steak Salad on the old menu is my very favorite.

It is at lunch in the main dining room usually on the first sea day.

One day at lunch in the buffet is a chocolate cake or brownie square that has a dollop of white stuff and a tiny piece of candied pear on it. It is one of my other favorites.

The Greek Farmer salad is also usually really good.

Oh, and there is a braised short rib that is excellent too.

At breakfast on the buffet some days there is a thing that is shaped like a cake, but is more like a sweet bread that has apples in a custard sauce filling.

Love that stuff.

There is a cinnamon cake with dates or figs or something that comes with rum raisin ice cream.

I have asked if they have that rum raisin available at other times and they say no. It is some powerfully good stuff.

If you want that cake for dessert my advice is to eat light beforehand.:eek:

They used to have a basil ice cream that sounds weird, but was so good.

On the new menu--

Ahi Tuna appetizer. On the Inspiration it was seared perfectly and served on the same noodles as the old duck appetizer. 6 of us ordered thirds of this.

Old menu-

Duck Appetizer

Yam, cheddar pot pie

I'be been doing research for my Splendor cruise in August and I'm excited about Carnival's free offerings in the MDR and at the a rotisserie and brunch and so on it's a bit overwhelming. So what's the best thing you've eaten on the Splendor or any other ship, where did you get it, and when?

breakfast- hash browns (dining room) OR burritos (Blue Iguana burrito bar)

brunch- caesar salad w/ jerk bacon (dining room)

lunch- burger and fries (Guy's Burgers) or burritos (Blue Iguana burrito bar) or shrimp/chicken/veggies (Mongolian wok)

dinner- Bitter and Blanc (dining room)

THESE are my must haves!!

I also really like the peppercorn sauce in the Steakhouse (tastes great even w/ lamb chops).

It's all subjective - much of what is posted here I don't care for in the least :). The great thing about cruising is the ability to try new things and be adventurous without spending a ton of money. My goal each cruise it to try something that I would never order in a land based restaurant and give it a go. After all, if I don't like it I can always ask for something else or hit the Lido buffet.

Favorites so far are the Rubens from the deli (LOVE the deli!), fresh mozzarella and tomato sandwiches also from the deli, mushroom pizza, WCMC, and surf and turf. One daughter swears by the strawberry bisque - she's very happy that we should have the old menus in June, the other loves the beef and barley soup and anything sushi.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Just for the record...a few people have mentioned Guys burgers.

The Splendor DOES NOT nor does it intend to put a Guys Burgers on this ship.

Just did not want you going nuts looking for it on the ship Missy...:):o:)

I was just going to mention this! :cool:

Since you will still have the old menus take advantage and try the Bitter n Blanc! grand Mariner soufflé! and the Creme brûlée! They are the best.

For appetizers, the pumpkin soup and strawberry cold soup, and the oysters rockerfeller.

For mains my favorite of all was the martini braised Basa fillet. The absolute BEST!!!!!!!

The martini braised Basa fillet was my absolute favorite too! On the old menus it said that recipe won some kind of award and it definitely deserved it!

Sadly, I don't think it made the cut on the new menus. We are on the Liberty with the new menus in 3 days, and I guess I will have to find a new favorite dish.

Just for the record...a few people have mentioned Guys burgers.

The Splendor DOES NOT nor does it intend to put a Guys Burgers on this ship.

Just did not want you going nuts looking for it on the ship Missy...:):o:)

I know they don't, but next year I might try another carnival ship to try all the new 2.0 stuff.

The pizza from the 24hr Pizzeria is delicious!

On the Carnival Paradise on my last cruise they had fried chicken tenders & macaroni & cheese, was pleasantly surprised at the taste!

Frog Legs from the did'ja menu...amazing, I love frog legs!