Any scary kids club experiences??

mommiejaxx

We are currently booked on RCI Enchantment of the Seas and NCL Getaway. So far we have only been on Carnival cruises. Just wondering, has anyone ever had any scary experiences with the kids clubs for ages up to 7 (like children missing or being released to someone else etc..)? I have two that will be in those age groups and before the cruise I start having all sorts of nightmares although we have never had any issues on previous cruises.

And, you won't have issues on this cruise, either! They are VERY diligent about the kids in their care! You, and only you, will be able to take your child, unless you specifically designate someone else to do it....Go! Enjoy! The kids will have a blast!

Edited by cb at sea

We've not had any trouble, and I back up CB at Sea about the staff diligence. If you show up without your card, even if your child is standing there calling you "Mummy", you cannot take them out. You have to go back and get your card - they are that strict.

They will have a blast, and so will you! :)

Not with the kids club, but both of my children vanished (at different times) for short periods of time during our Freedom of the Seas cruise.

DD was 6 - her dad accompanied her to the bathroom. She was taking forever and DH wondered if she had slipped past her and gone back to the table in the dining room. He asked a woman coming out if DD was still in there, she said no, there was no one else in the bathroom. So he went back to the table. No DD. Back to the bathroom, asked someone to go in and look for her, no DD. Back to the table, still no DD. Back out of the DR, and there were two crew members with a teary DD. Missing for about 5 minutes. The only thing I found odd was that she was wearing her sea pass on a lanyard with our dining time and table number on it. Right near the dining room. And they were about to call to have us paged, rather than take her into the dining room to our table. Since I'm sure she could have told them we had been at dinner.

DS (9) vanished for a few minutes on Coco Cay (RCI's island). He just vanished in the crowd. We found him within about 15 minutes, but I wasn't overly worried since we were on the private island and if I hadn't found him that quickly, I would have tracked down a crew member pretty quickly to see what they could do to help find him.

They take stuff like this very seriously - when we were on a cruise without our kids, a "child" (young teenager, I think) was missing. First an announcement just in the public areas for *name* to contact the purser's desk. Then an announcement that went into all the cabins as well for her to contact the purser's desk (maybe 10 minutes later). We were just leaving our cabin to the dining room so we heard that one in our cabin. We had our tv on in our cabin, so we had heard the previous announcement too. Then when we were seated in the DR, they did their missing person protocol. Our waiter sort of filled us in on it - the announcement meant that all crew had to immediately stop what they were doing and check the area that they are assigned to check in that situation. Rumour was that she was found in a cabin (not hers). But she was found pretty quickly. The whole thing was over within about 20 minutes.

Lessons learned - we've never had or noticed a problem with the kids programs, just when kids are supposed to be in the care of their parents (since we were the ones that lost our kids :) not the youth staff!)

Edited by gi_pam

Wow! Yeah that would have made me a little nervous.. it seems that when I am at my most cautious that scary things happen. Last year my daughter had just woken up in her carseat and I picked her up and carried her slowly towards our beach rentals front door. Well it was an asphalt driveway and the ac was draining on it and there was some slimy buildup that I happened to step and slip on and my daughter flew out of my arms and hit her head and started bleeding.. off to the ER we go.. She was fine but I was a basketcase.. and it never fails that right before a cruise I watch or hear a story of a kid being kidnapped or something.. Ugh!

Anyway, I am refusing to entertain those thoughts and praying a lot and I know it will be fine and we will have fun!! Lol!

Just something to think about here....most folks always tell their kids NOT to talk to strangers...but you should be helping them identify "strangers' who could help them in an emergency. You don't want your child to be too afraid to ask someone for help, if they are separated from you! I just remember the little boy who got lost on a camping trip....searchers were everywhere, calling his name, but he didn't know them and wouldn't answer...he almost died! If his parents hadn't scared him so much, he would have been rescued DAYS before he was.....

So, teach your kids how to ask for help...help them learn to identify the "probably safe" from the "creepy" strangers!!!

First, your kids will have a great time. We used the kids club for many years with our four children. From small to teens. They all loved it. However one cruise our then 5 year old son just walked out by himself and went to the room (amazing how quickly they learn their way around). When we went to pick him up and he was missing. They quickly did a full scale search. Even officers were looking for him. Of course, I was a miserable mess during this time. The kids club folks were also very concerned. He was located by the steward in our cabin (as I said it was a full ship search within minutes, I am not sure how they get the word out so quickly). RCCL apologized profusely and gave us 50% discount on any future cruise for our entire party. We used the certificate for a swell suite upgrade the next year. But I have never heard of this happening to anyone else. By the ship's reaction it rarely happens, or maybe we were the only ones ever. Our kids not put their kids in the adventure ocean club.

Just something to think about here....most folks always tell their kids NOT to talk to strangers...but you should be helping them identify "strangers' who could help them in an emergency. You don't want your child to be too afraid to ask someone for help, if they are separated from you! I just remember the little boy who got lost on a camping trip....searchers were everywhere, calling his name, but he didn't know them and wouldn't answer...he almost died! If his parents hadn't scared him so much, he would have been rescued DAYS before he was.....

So, teach your kids how to ask for help...help them learn to identify the "probably safe" from the "creepy" strangers!!!

This is an excellent point! I've told my daughter (she's 5) to look for a police officer or even another mommy if she's ever lost. On a cruise ship, I'll tell her to look for a crew member.

Yes, definitely a good point. Thank you! I have touched on this with my seven year old but will be sure to revisit the subject.

Yes, help your kids be able to identify a crew member. But tell them even if they are lost and find a crew member (or a police man, or another mommy with kids, or whoever), that they should not go anywhere with them (kind of the hug-a-tree mentality). The crew member should be able to call or flag down another crew member to sound an alert.

The "hug a tree" thingee works well for lost kids. A stationary "target" is easier to find. (I kind of do the reverse with my husband at our local grocery store -- the place is HUGE and if he wanders off - our agreement is I will go to the end of the aisle I am in and just stand and wait for him. :D)

Also have a family magic word. If someone comes up to your child when they are not with you and says "oh, your mom is looking for you. Let me take you to her". Your child should say "What's the magic word" and if the stranger does not know it, your child should not go with and if they try to force the issue your kid should know they have permission to do the "this is not my mother/father/teacher" screaming thing. I once had to have a family friend pick up my DD (then around 10) from an event because I was stuck in traffic -- even though DD knew the friend, she asked "what's the magic word" and did get the proper response.

While stranger abduction is rare and abuse/abduction is also pretty uncommon, an awareness that bad things can happen can help your kids react appropriately if they do.

We were chaperoning 200 teens this summer when a loud noise in a very crowded place caused a panic. The kids knew what the emergency protocols were and reacted appropriately -- we lost a sandal, a pair of flip flops and one cell phone, but no injuries and no one left behind.

I did just read this yesterday.

Fourth post in this thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976074

"The worst though, and scariest in my opinion, is that one night I came to pick up my DD. I handed the woman my cards and gave her my password (which I THOUGHT was a nice security touch) and as I was doing that a little girl walked up to the gate. The woman working there was distracted but I heard her say "where's my Mommy?". I wanted to reassure the girl so I started saying that she would probably be there soon. Before I knew it, the woman opened the gate, the girl walked out in hallway and we were both standing there as the little girl walked out of the room. I thought maybe the counselor was going to take her somewhere, but she sat back down at the computer desk and started typing. After a moment, she looked at me like "why are you still here?" and I told her I was waiting for my daughter! I realized in that minute that she thought that girl WAS my daughter so I ran out of the room and found the girl ready to go down the stairs! The counselor got her and apologized and went to get my daughter, but OH MY GOODNESS, that did not instill confidence in me! I can't even imagine what would've happened if the girl was quicker etc. Again, I know that things happen and mistakes are made but that seemed like a fairly big one when you're talking about a child's safety."

I have to say that I am prob one of the most paranoid peope when it comes to my children and yes I will admit it .. My husband and I both work in the Criminal Justice field and have seen it all so the thought of leaving my children with someone that I have just met was a very crazy thought to me to say the least. The last cruise we went on in November is the first time we truely left our daughter in the kids club and she LOVED it! I asked the crew 5 million questions and requested to have a pager so if she ever wanted us for any reason they could just page us and we could come right there. (but that never happened) Also I would just drop in from time to time and watch what they were doing ... My daughter would of course have a fit because she thought that we were there to pick her up so I learned to just kinda peak in on her.

Now we are going on the GOS in November and my son will be 3 and we plan to put him in the kids club as well.

The most important thing is that you have to feel comfortable with it and if you don't then you will be stressed the whole time and not have fun. So go on the first day when they have the open house ask a ton of questions then if your kids want to go try it for maybe an hour at a time and ask for a pager. I am sure your kids will love it and you will get to have a little alone time to relax for a bit.

We are currently booked on RCI Enchantment of the Seas and NCL Getaway. So far we have only been on Carnival cruises. Just wondering, has anyone ever had any scary experiences with the kids clubs for ages up to 7 (like children missing or being released to someone else etc..)? I have two that will be in those age groups and before the cruise I start having all sorts of nightmares although we have never had any issues on previous cruises.

I have to say that I am prob one of the most paranoid peope when it comes to my children and yes I will admit it .. My husband and I both work in the Criminal Justice field and have seen it all so the thought of leaving my children with someone that I have just met was a very crazy thought to me to say the least. The last cruise we went on in November is the first time we truely left our daughter in the kids club and she LOVED it! I asked the crew 5 million questions and requested to have a pager so if she ever wanted us for any reason they could just page us and we could come right there. (but that never happened) Also I would just drop in from time to time and watch what they were doing ... My daughter would of course have a fit because she thought that we were there to pick her up so I learned to just kinda peak in on her.

Now we are going on the GOS in November and my son will be 3 and we plan to put him in the kids club as well.

The most important thing is that you have to feel comfortable with it and if you don't then you will be stressed the whole time and not have fun. So go on the first day when they have the open house ask a ton of questions then if your kids want to go try it for maybe an hour at a time and ask for a pager. I am sure your kids will love it and you will get to have a little alone time to relax for a bit.

I know some people don't get it but I am super over protective too.. my biggest fear is probably some huge kidnapping scheme where there is that one crew member in on.. my sister lived in Virginia in a neighbirhoid where a girl went missing and they believed or thought there was foul play at the hand of one of the crew.. granted she was a young adult. I know it's highly unlikely and I am thankful I havent read any true horror stories involving children.. I will definitely be going and getting to know the kids staff. My daughter won't turn three til the second full day of our cruise so I think I will have plenty of time to get a feel for things.. Thank you all for your responses! :)

I know some people don't get it but I am super over protective too.. my biggest fear is probably some huge kidnapping scheme where there is that one crew member in on.. my sister lived in Virginia in a neighbirhoid where a girl went missing and they believed or thought there was foul play at the hand of one of the crew.. granted she was a young adult. I know it's highly unlikely and I am thankful I havent read any true horror stories involving children.. I will definitely be going and getting to know the kids staff. My daughter won't turn three til the second full day of our cruise so I think I will have plenty of time to get a feel for things.. Thank you all for your responses! :)

I get your over protectiveness. I have lived the horror of your fears when a family member was murdered. I wouldn't let my teen out of my site for a long time. The results ended up harming her rather than keeping her safe. I I finally realized for her to heal I had to learn to let go a bit. I'm taking her on her first cruise and yes I'll be a nervous wreck and she'll be 17!: I've been researching as you are now and I'm just going to put my big girl panties on and trust her and trust the crew. You can't live in fear, it's just not living. Baby steps.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I have cruised myself and with my kids for the past 30 plus years. A cruise ship is 1 million percent safer than being on land in almost every regard. I wouldn't hesitate to allow a child of eight or older to roam on a ship. I wouldn't even bat an eye. The only place of concern for me at all is the pool area and I won't even allow my son, now 13 to swim alone. Water is the biggest threat to kids under the age of 9. One child recently drowned on NCL Breakaway and another on the same cruise nearly drowned.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I have trained my son (now 7) that if he is ever lost, he should find a mom (a lady with kids) and tell her he is lost and needs help finding his mother. Thankfully, it hasn't happened! I also dress him in a bright shirt that would stand out in a crowd if we are in a vacation situation where there is a risk he could get lost in a crowd (such as Disney or an airport).

Hope you have a great time and always go with you gut feelings

• 1 month later...
This is an excellent point! I've told my daughter (she's 5) to look for a police officer or even another mommy if she's ever lost. On a cruise ship, I'll tell her to look for a crew member.

Great way to reinforce the whole "All men are potential molesters" emphasis we have in society.

Great way to reinforce the whole "All men are potential molesters" emphasis we have in society.

Most crew members and police officers are male, so that doesn't make a lot of sense.

It is reasonable to help your child identify trained professionals. They'll know how to react and reassure. They won't panic about liability. Etc.

It is probably easier for a little kid to recognize a mommy with kids. Similarly a police officer in uniform, is easier for a kid to be able to positively identify. And a crew member, has the pin and other things that identify him/her as a crew member.

sounds like most of you have communicative older children. i have a 15 month old and refuse to let her stay with any stranger - even with a cruise babysitter. i understand the worry about children disappearing from the clubs.. etc.. but what makes you think that they are safe with the cruise staff??? molestation/abuse can even happen with close family members..so i'm confused about why you would think they are safe with strangers?

sounds like most of you have communicative older children. i have a 15 month old and refuse to let her stay with any stranger - even with a cruise babysitter. i understand the worry about children disappearing from the clubs.. etc.. but what makes you think that they are safe with the cruise staff??? molestation/abuse can even happen with close family members..so i'm confused about why you would think they are safe with strangers?

If that's your overall policy, then the cruise programs wouldn't work once your child is old enough to use them. But you'll also have to homeschool. Most of us do not have those options and eventually reach a different comfort level.

Edited by cadien

The nurseries/kids clubs on board have more than one person working at a time - unless the fear is that it's a molestation ring. They are never hidden and alone with a child.

Best,

Mia

• 3 weeks later...

Except that it isn't that molestation/abuse can "even" happen with close family members, it is much more likely to happen with close family members. Same with abduction.

Read Gavin deBecker's "Protecting the Gift" (and "Gift of Fear") for more info on how to truly protect your child (and yourself) from abuse, molestation, abduction and other dangers.

For the record, I did not leave my daughter alone with many people before she could communicate fully: my parents, my best friend, I think that is it. But at 18 months I did start leaving her at the gym daycare for an hour or two while I worked out. A cruise kids club is going to be the same type of thing: multiple caregivers, many children, lots of parents dropping kids off and picking kids up at random intervals. It isn't the type of environment that is conducive to sexual abuse.