Two questions about Serenade cruise out of New Orleans

I have read brief passing comments about a Park Café on the Serenade; however, I do not see a description of this in reviews. Is this something new on the Serenade? Is it free? Is it like the Park Café on the Allure and Oasis? Is it open all day long?

Also, since we will not have a balcony (and since I read that it may be quite cold in New Orleans for our January cruise), will we get a nice experience going down the Mississippi while enjoying the Viking Crown Lounge (my favorite spot)?

Many thanks. I have been on the Serenade in the past, but no Park Café and we did not sail out of New Orleans. This will be our first New Orleans departure.

Kathy

Hi,

The Park Cafe is located on the starboard side of the Solarium and has selected hours. I know they were open for lunch, and it was free.

Sadly, you will not see the Mississippi in January, it will be dark coming and going. We got lucky this past January as our ship was late arriving and we got to see the river as we returned. You can see some factories lit up in the evening as you depart which was interesting, but the sun set shortly after sailaway.

We sail this past December, and yes, it was dark, however we loved the view! We had an aft cabin, & still enjoyed watching the shore as we slipped by. We could not see the distant landscape, but we stayed up quite late to watch for as long as we could. I think you might enjoy the view for a time up in the VL. The ship will be lighted, so it will impact your views some, but for the first hour or so you should still be able to see the lights of the city, as you make the bend and look like you are heading back to NO.

I would go again from this port, at any time of year. My most favorite place to sail from! Just to be on the Mighty Miss-A-Sip...Awesome!

Edited by Lynne95

The Park Cafe in the Solarium has been upgraded from what the Solarium Cafe used to be - roast beef sandwiches, salads, deserts. We ate lunch in there a couple of times.

We cruised over Christmas and it was dark shortly after sail-away. However, we spent our sail-away behind the Windjammer (this was our first time on a ship where the Windjammer was in the back of the ship instead of the front of the ship) and ordered our sail-away drinks from Rita's Cantina. The weather was great but once you were away from the city you could only see lights, not the river. Since 20% off drinks were from 4:00 to 6:00, we didn't much care that we couldn't see the river!!! :D

1. They have a nice package 55 per person for all 3 specialy and also offer a package to include the captains table we ate out 4 of the 7 nights

2. It is dark going and coming in the river, like I said above we ate at Giovanni first night along the window and saw the lights from everywhere while we ate

3. We had an inside the rooms are upgraded and as diamond member now diamond plus you have a great view from there.

4. Dinner at 5:30 us being from the east cost it worked out perfect

5. Fly in day before we stayed at the ambassador hotel and their bar/ restaurant had a fantastic BBQ shrimp po-boy

6. If u r driving parking not real easy we had towne car drop us off from the hotel and called him to pick us up when we got back, boarding and leaving went fantastic, if u r flying look to do back to back prices were under 500 for inside in January

We were on Serenade this past January. Park Cafe is a nice, small venue inside the Solarium. It remained quite a secret until later in the week on our cruise. I keeps somewhat odd hours. It is open early in the morning, but closes around 9:00 I think. Serving bagels with different toppings, breakfast burritos, fruit cups, etc.

It is open for lunch through early afternoon serving different types of sandwiches which can be heated as a panini, cookies, quesadillas, and the famous roast beef sandwich was present all week. They also have a build your own salad with people staffed to prepare it, and they have potato chips in case you get a salt craving.

We found the windjammer to stay quite crowded on our sailing especially on Sea Days so this was a nice place to grab a bite and go. I didn't like it as well as the Cafe Promenade on the larger ships, as their egg salad and tuna sandwiches were pre-packaged and somewhat soggy. It was a great place to find water, ice, flavored water, and coffee.

As for New Orleans and the Mississippi, this was our 3rd cruise out of New Orleans in January. You don't see a whole lot during sail a way. The weather is unpredictable. We've had 60's and sunny, and 40's and rainy so you just never know. You do see a lot of lights from the refinaries and oil derricks as you cruise at night. We have watched out our balcony as well as dined in Giovanni's by the window. It's a different experince for sure, but it does not offer the views of some sail aways.

Edited by momof4_tn
sp

Just off the Serenade a few days ago from a B2B. As others have said - it is dark during just about all of the river transit, but we enjoyed the lights on the banks and the other river traffic just as well.

Another site to look for either late the first night or on the last night after dark (before entering the river) are the numerous oil rigs in the gulf.

Some of them are HUGE!

Park Cafe is a real gem and IMO has the best salad bar on the ship. Didn't care for most of their soups - but you can't miss the roast beef sandwiches!

Recently cruised this itinerary B2B, Feb. and March. It was on my DH's bucket list to see the Mississippi River in his lifetime, and thus accomplished that 4 times as we sailed out twice and in twice! LOL

Our previous 3 cruises were on Radiance-class ships pre-refurb, so we did notice the changes on Serenade. The Park Café was "all right". We ate there twice. *shrug* You will decide if it's right for you, but one day after coming back from port, we did each grab a pre-made tuna sandwich from there and they were delicious (not soggy). You'll notice the glass staircase between Decks 4 and 5 is gone; this allows for more seating in the Centrum, which is where pretty much all of the action is concentrated now. On other Radiance-class ships we found the music, entertainment, dancing, etc. to be more evenly divided between the Colony Club, Viking Crown Lounge, and Centrum. It's just something you will notice, no big deal.

The Diamond Lounge is wonderful - I highly recommend you go there for sail away. It's great.

Embarkation and disembarkation was efficient and easy. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Recently cruised this itinerary B2B, Feb. and March. It was on my DH's bucket list to see the Mississippi River in his lifetime, and thus accomplished that 4 times as we sailed out twice and in twice!

I appreciate everyone's helpful responses, but I especially wanted to comment on this for Karen's husband. Here's another suggestion for your bucket list.:)

I'm originally from Duluth, Minnesota, and several times I've traveled west in Minnesota to the headwaters of the Mississippi. Now that you've been at the "bottom" of the river, why not go to the "top," where you can WADE across the Mighty Mississippi as it leaves Lake Itaska? Lots of fun.

Again, thanks to everyone. We are looking forward to our cruise on the beautiful Serenade.

Kathy

Edited by petesweet