Question about a passport

bdcuts

I'm traveling in May to try the Bahamas do I need a passport or can i use my birth certificate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Although it is best to have a passport...it is not required. You need a PHOTO ID however....and birth certificate

Oops...meant AND birth certificate

Edited by champagne123
xxxx

Although it is best to have a passport...it is not required. You need a PHOTO ID however....not birth certificate

A US citizen traveling on a closed loop cruise within the WHTI who is 16 or over needs both a government issued photo ID and a government issued birth certificate (or other proof of citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or consular report of birth abroad). You have to analyze you risk about missing the ship inport or having to leave the cruise early (such as for an emergency at home) in which case you would need a passport to fly home. You would still get home without it but it could take some time and could be pricey (depending of course on the circumstances).

Edited by sparks1093

Birth certificate also must be a certified copy with a raised seal. Hospital or souvenir certificates won't work.

Nope, just a birth certificate issued by a government authority, they don't all have raised seals.

I'm traveling in May to try the Bahamas do I need a passport or can i use my birth certificate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

As long as you're cruising, and not flying. I do assume, since you asked here, that you're cruising, but I'm just covering all bases...

Birth certificate also must be a certified copy with a raised seal. Hospital or souvenir certificates won't work.

Certified yes, not sure (?) a certified copy has a raised seal though. Photocopies of the original aren't acceptable either.

Yes, state issued birth certificate and driver's license. Make sure your license is not expired! That happened to someone on the last cruise I was on and they wouldn't let them board....it was expire 1 week.

Some counties have watermark paper where others use a seal that stamps the grooves into the paper. Every county/state is different.

Also, since I can't tell if you are a man or a woman, if your birth certificate name is different than your driver's license name (marriage name change, etc.) you will need to also have a state issued copy of your marriage license showing the progression of your name.

Certified yes, not sure (?) a certified copy has a raised seal though. Photocopies of the original aren't acceptable either.

The regs allow a copy and I used a copy to board our CCL cruise (CCL does say that a readable photocopy is acceptable), but not all cruise lines allow this. Of course an original is always best but it is important to keep in mind that copies may be used (such as when someone leaves their birth certificate at home and has it faxed to the port).

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/related/1

Here is a link to Customs and Border patrol information (copy & paste). They are the people you have to satisfy, not the cruiseline. Cruiseline just wants to make sure you won't be a permanent fixture on their ship because you don't have the proper documents to get back into the U.S. :eek:

Here is a link to Customs and Border patrol information (copy & paste). They are the people you have to satisfy, not the cruiseline.

Theoretically you are correct; practically, CBP holds the cruise line responsible for ensuring you have correct documents, so it's the cruise line that you have to satisfy in order to board. You don't actually get to see CBP until your return.

I was born in Lansing Illinois and have a Certified copy of my birth certificate and it does not have a raised seal. It does have a stamp (in black) that says "Certified" certificate of birth but it is not raised. I have a passport now, but I just wanted add an FYI for those who may be confused.